Tarago V Estima

Fruitbat

Hello everyone,

We are new members and are thinking of buying a recently imported Estima because of the low kilometres (under $50k) and its lower price than a comparable Tarago.

I have heard that parts may be hard to source and are more expensive. The local toyota dealer also mentioned that the Estima lacked some of the safety features standard on the Tarago (any idea what these may be)?

Can you guys please advise how much of an issue this is?

Are the parts generally interchangeable or generally not?

Are parts that regularly need replacement (eg filters, belts etc) parts that are not interchangeable or are we talking about parts that may need changing once in the lifetime of the vehicle?

We plan on keeping the Estima/Tarago for about 5 years until most of the kids have left home and then buy a sedan. Do dealers shy away from Estimas as trade ins?

I guess we have to weigh up whether the difference in cost of Estima parts is outweighed by the lower price and longer longevity of the low mileage vehicle.

To help weigh this up, can you guys also suggest how many kilometres can be expected from both types before they go to that great Toyota graveyard in the sky?

Hope you can help.

Depends on the enigne type. The 2.4 four cylinder models shouldn't have any difficulties when sourcing parts for servicing (Same 2AZ engine as seen under the hood of a local RAV4, Camry, Ipsum & Tarago.). Likewise with the 3.0 V6 model, you can source it from Lexus (The ES300 shares the same 1MZ-FE engine with VVT-i. Not sure if engine parts from the Aussie Camry V6 would be compatible as it is slightly different.). Otherwise, there's always the overseas option to source parts. Particularly in South East Asia, where Estimas are very popular grey-imports (Should be cheaper than the Toyota dealer too. Sourced genuine Toyota oxygen sensors for the RAV4 from Malaysia, I would be charged three times more for the same part if I were to buy it from the Toyota dealer down under.).

Lacking in safety features? That simply isn't true. Sounds like the typical dealer scare tactic (As usual,).

We also have a 2001 Estima L (Not in Australia though.), the 2.4G 7 passenger model. Like the equivalent Aussie Tarago Ultima, it came with ABS brakes (Standard across the range.), dual air bags (Also standard across the range.), in addition to factory-spec Xenon headlights and Clearance Sonar (Last one is a very handy factory option which isn't available on the Tarago till the 2003 facelift.). The 3.0G V6 model can also be factory optioned with Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control & Adaptive Radar Cruise Control (Last one is a very rare factory option.).

11 years on, and the Estima is still going strong since my parent drove it out of the dealer brand new. So no worries in terms of reliability here (Provided that the car is well taken care of.)

The Estima is a very good choice (Comfy minivan on long distance trips.), especially if you can get hold of a full-spec G grade with powered sliding door (Single powered sliding door with chain-drive on pre-facelift, dual powered sliding doors with belt-drive on facelift. All, except the ultra-basic J grade come with vacuum assistance for the sliding doors, which helps shut the doors close if half latched) & the clearance sonar (Very useful, considering the size.). One more thing a 7 passenger G or Aeras grade has over the Tarago Ultima is a sliding ottoman for the second row captain seats.

Hello everyone,

We are new members and are thinking of buying a recently imported Estima because of the low kilometres (under $50k) and its lower price than a comparable Tarago.

I have heard that parts may be hard to source and are more expensive. The local toyota dealer also mentioned that the Estima lacked some of the safety features standard on the Tarago (any idea what these may be)?

Are parts that regularly need replacement (eg filters, belts etc) parts that are not interchangeable or are we talking about parts that may need changing once in the lifetime of the vehicle?

We plan on keeping the Estima/Tarago for about 5 years until most of the kids have left home and then buy a sedan. Do dealers shy away from Estimas as trade ins?

I guess we have to weigh up whether the difference in cost of Estima parts is outweighed by the lower price and longer longevity of the low mileage vehicle.

To help weigh this up, can you guys also suggest how many kilometres can be expected from both types before they go to that great Toyota graveyard in the sky?

Hope you can help.

Hi,

I've got an Estima Aeras 3L. It has the 1MZFE engine and all the JDM features.

If you buy the car to drive and keep then they are a good proposition. Be aware the V6 MCR30/40 Estima has a timing belt. Toyota suggest 100,00 km or seven year life. So see if you can cam belt replaced in the car purchase, if it hasn't been done already.

It takes about 4 hours. The kit costs around $250 on ebay. Spark plugs are due at 100,000 km and require the inlet manifold to be removed to access.

Mine has done 85,000 km so it's a job to look forward to.

Estimas are flooding the market at the moment so there will no shortage of parts in the long term. Engine parts are the same as the Aurion and Camry of equivalent year.

My last TCR12 Tarago did 300, 000 km wih nothing but brakes and suspension and a few starter motor contact sets. I hope this one does the same. I change the oil and filter every 7500 km and use a full synthetic oil. 1MZFE engines are known to gum up, so oil is cheap - engines are not.

Most brake bits are the same as the local Tarago.

I purchased the vehicle because it was bang for buck and because I paid less that $17k I expect to sell it for less than a local vehicle.

If you buy a Estima it will 2005 (import regs) at the latest so it's 7 years old add five years to that and a dealer won't be interested in it anyway.

If want a well made and appointed vehicle with surprising performance at a good price the Estima V6 is just the thing. But expect buy cheap and sell cheap compared to the local Tarago.

Toyota Estima Owners Club (TEOC), a British forum, suggest that they suffer the occasional auto trans failure, the radiators have a tendency to crack on high mileage rough road vehicles and the oxygen sensors fail at 150, 000 km. So they are pretty reliable all in all.

I really happy with mine.

cheers

Robert

Edited by robmac1

Hi RobMac,

Thanks for your advice.You mentioned some things I wasnt aware of.

I have been trying to do as much research as I can in a short space of time so every bit helps.

We are looking at a 2003 G model with v low klms and lots of bells & whistles. What do you mean by JDM features?

I have heard that the 4x4 versions may have been used on snowy mountainous roads (where salt may have been used). Any suggestions on how to check and where on the vehicle to focus?

I think the motor is a 1MZ-FE, so I'll take on board your advice on oil changes. Does the 1MZ-FE have a timing chain rather than a belt and if so when does it need replacement? (I'll have to get an owners manual in English).

Are you restricted to premium petrol or can the car be modified for lower grades of fuel?

I found the following FAQ link useful -you may already know of it.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/malaysia-estima-club-kelab-estima-malaysia-myestima/toyota-estima-frequent-asks-questions-faq/205149392885414

Thanks again

Fruitbat

Hi RobMac,

Thanks for your advice.You mentioned some things I wasnt aware of.

I have been trying to do as much research as I can in a short space of time so every bit helps.

We are looking at a 2003 G model with v low klms and lots of bells & whistles. What do you mean by JDM features?

I have heard that the 4x4 versions may have been used on snowy mountainous roads (where salt may have been used). Any suggestions on how to check and where on the vehicle to focus?

I think the motor is a 1MZ-FE, so I'll take on board your advice on oil changes. Does the 1MZ-FE have a timing chain rather than a belt and if so when does it need replacement? (I'll have to get an owners manual in English).

Are you restricted to premium petrol or can the car be modified for lower grades of fuel?

I found the following FAQ link useful -you may already know of it.

http://www.facebook....205149392885414

Thanks again

Fruitbat

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market, ie import.

I considered a 4WD but my vehicle is largely for City usage. I figured carrying another 100kg around everywhere and the extra complication wasn't warranted. 4WD are very different to the local market Tarago and parts would be a definite import.

The 1MZFE engine has a timing belt and should be replaced every 7 years or 100, 000km.

I run mine on premium fuel.

If you buy from a reputable RAWS importer and the car looks legit without too much wear on the trim then you should be OK. The compliance/registration procedure won't allow any vehicle with corrosion to be registered. A few of them, the one in Abbotsford for example, supply a service history. Check out the seals at the bottom of the doors these tend to get torn with lot's of use.

It's like any used car you need to check things out in detail.

You are aware that need a band expander to receive Oz FM and that the ICE system is designed for Japanese maps and NTSC (Japanese) TV and won't play OZ VCDs or DVDs. The sat nav is a basket case and many replace the entire unit.

Owners manuals can be purchased here: http://www.jpnz.co.nz/afawcs0131171/CATID=8/SUBID=130/ID=40/SID=529005371/productdetails.html

\Many times the seller will provide a manual in English.

Hi Robert

We saw the 4wd as a safety option in the wet and possibly a selling point down the track when the kids have left the nest.

It looks pretty good, we are using a reputable importer and the service history is provided.

We plan on having the band expander installed, the sat nav replaced with an Australian version (apparently far cheaper than modifying the japanese one) and we'll have to get the TV replaced too (otherwise the blank screen will be a constant reminder to the kids of what they are missing out on:))

I've asked the seller if he can provide an English version of the owners manual but if not I appreciate the back up option you've given.

Thanks again

Hi Robert

We saw the 4wd as a safety option in the wet and possibly a selling point down the track when the kids have left the nest.

It looks pretty good, we are using a reputable importer and the service history is provided.

We plan on having the band expander installed, the sat nav replaced with an Australian version (apparently far cheaper than modifying the japanese one) and we'll have to get the TV replaced too (otherwise the blank screen will be a constant reminder to the kids of what they are missing out on:))

I've asked the seller if he can provide an English version of the owners manual but if not I appreciate the back up option you've given.

Thanks again

ICE systems are cheap. This mob has an Australian Warehouse and you only pay local shipping and any Warranty return is local.

http://www.erisin.com/page.html?id=74

Yes, I guess 4wd offers better traction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Very interesting topic. I am looking at the imported Estima as well. I am wondering, how does one go about getting car insurance and valuations? Do I have to go with a specialized insurance provider or any would do?

Also, regarding the auto trans issues, is it for the 2.4L or the 3.0L?

Thanks.

Hi,

Very interesting topic. I am looking at the imported Estima as well. I am wondering, how does one go about getting car insurance and valuations? Do I have to go with a specialized insurance provider or any would do?

Also, regarding the auto trans issues, the trans is it for the 2.4L or the 3.0L?

Thanks.

Shannons will insure Estimas. Pretty competitive as well when you consider the windscreen and tools cover and agreed value. You may need to ring them in person to get them to create a new listing for your model. They currently have a listing for 2002 Estima V6. (MCR 30)

I believe the transaxle is the same for both the 2.4 and 3.0 versions. (A140E?) I suspect the V6 would be more likely to chew them up since they are 200 hp odd. It's not a major issue, on the entire TEOC forum two people have has issues. The symptoms are a gearbox full on neutrals. I suspect regular trans fluid changes are the key to longevity.

I would recommend the V6, just effortless to drive. I'm getting around 550-650 km City driving per 70L tank of 98ULP. This is much better than I got from my previous TCR12 Tarago. And the performance is enjoyable especially when loaded and using the aircon.

I see you are in Victoria. There is RAWs / Importer in Abbotsford. I got my Estima from them and they were honest to deal with. They comply many of the vehicles for other resellers.

EDIT: Before you purchase the vehicle ask to see the images of the car in Japan, especially the dipstick image, if the oil looks black reject the car. 1MZFE engines are prone to sludge if not regularly maintained.

If you want a contact name send me a private message.

Edited by robmac1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, Firstly thanks for your useful information. I just bought a 2005 Estima VS 3.0L with AWD.

I am currently going through the process of getting a RWC.

Robmac, did you buy the owners manual from here (http://www.jpnz.co.nz/afawcs0131171/CATID=8/SUBID=130/ID=40/SID=529005371/productdetails.html) and was it useful? I'm thinking about getting it myself as my car didn't come with one.

In addition, I'd be keen to know of any locations you source parts from as I too am based in Melbourne. Are non-engine parts typically the same as a 2005 Tarago?

In addition, the rear windows seem to be tinted very dark and the mechanic said it should be OK if it's factory tinted. Are yours the same and were they passed?

Thanks.

Edited by Manic

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help.

Hi,

I've got an Estima Aeras 3L. It has the 1MZFE engine and all the JDM features.

If you buy the car to drive and keep then they are a good proposition. Be aware the V6 MCR30/40 Estima has a timing belt. Toyota suggest 100,00 km or seven year life. So see if you can cam belt replaced in the car purchase, if it hasn't been done already.

It takes about 4 hours. The kit costs around $250 on ebay. Spark plugs are due at 100,000 km and require the inlet manifold to be removed to access.

Mine has done 85,000 km so it's a job to look forward to.

Estimas are flooding the market at the moment so there will no shortage of parts in the long term. Engine parts are the same as the Aurion and Camry of equivalent year.

My last TCR12 Tarago did 300, 000 km wih nothing but brakes and suspension and a few starter motor contact sets. I hope this one does the same. I change the oil and filter every 7500 km and use a full synthetic oil. 1MZFE engines are known to gum up, so oil is cheap - engines are not.

Most brake bits are the same as the local Tarago.

I purchased the vehicle because it was bang for buck and because I paid less that $17k I expect to sell it for less than a local vehicle.

If you buy a Estima it will 2005 (import regs) at the latest so it's 7 years old add five years to that and a dealer won't be interested in it anyway.

If want a well made and appointed vehicle with surprising performance at a good price the Estima V6 is just the thing. But expect buy cheap and sell cheap compared to the local Tarago.

Toyota Estima Owners Club (TEOC), a British forum, suggest that they suffer the occasional auto trans failure, the radiators have a tendency to crack on high mileage rough road vehicles and the oxygen sensors fail at 150, 000 km. So they are pretty reliable all in all.

I really happy with mine.

cheers

Robert

Hi Robert

I am looking for the timing belt kit for my estima (V6 3.0 VVTI), did you purchase the Toyota geniune parts? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

AL

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had experience changing a timing belt on their V6 Estima?

Jack.

Hi Jack

I have replied your PM. I purchased the geniue parts via http://www.amayama.com/ and have my mechanic complete the job, which includes whole timing belt kit, waterpump, spark plugs.

Cheers,

• 6 years later...
On 6/29/2014 at 11:34 PM, playwme said:

I'm contemplating doing it. I've got the inlet manifold off already to change injectors and knock sensors so figured I might do everything while I'm there.

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

My knock sensors are bad. How on Earth did you get the inlet manifold off?