Improvement in steering since service '11 KX-S AWD

OzSTi

We've had the '11 KX-S AWD from new and right from the outset there was something about the steering I didn't like. It took a while to identify but I could feel a subtle knock turning to the left that was intermittent but persistent. I would generally feel this knock (rather than hear it) every time I drove the car.

Last service (40K) I took the service mechanic for a drive and of course it didn't do it but he understood and said he'd have a look and re-grease.

Well I'm pleased to say there was an immediate improvement in the way the steering felt. The knock is gone but there is something else about the steering that feels much better I can't quantify beyond the steering is more 'fluid' is the best term I can give it.

The service was three weeks ago and since then we've had a week in the Flinders Ranges that gave the car a good test. I'm not sure exactly what he did and I haven't had a chance to get down there to thank them and find out but I will soon.

• 1 month later...

My vehicle is a 09 Kluger Grande, just ticked over 130,000km and has just developed a knock when moving left hand down. The feed back I've received from Toyota is that this may be originating from the 'steering damper' and that the Toyota guys are awaiting to hear back to see if its a known fault. Stay tuned.

My vehicle is a 09 Kluger Grande, just ticked over 130,000km and has just developed a knock when moving left hand down. The feed back I've received from Toyota is that this may be originating from the 'steering damper' and that the Toyota guys are awaiting to hear back to see if its a known fault. Stay tuned.

I probadly say its you intermediate shaft, thats what my kluger was doing before I replaced the shaft, the problem with the shaft is that they didnt put enough grease in them when manufactered,it is a pretty common problem with the kluger, I have also heard of the problem inthe aurion aswell, im not sure if they can regrease them, I dont know, but its worth a ask, I guess.

• 2 months later...

I have an 09 Kluger Grande with what sounds like the same 'knock' which can be audibly heard and felt though the steering wheel. I also went for a drive in an '11 Kluger KX-S and it also had the same knock. Has anyone got further info on how to ensure the dealer fixes this? I explained to them on the last service and they said they couldn't replicate the fault, but its still there.

What I would do mate is get the service advisor to take the car for a drive and they should be able to replicate the noise, especialy when turning a corner or exiting around about, if not I would be trying another dealer, when mine had the same problem my dealer knew of the problem, they changed the intermediate shaft and fixed it for me know worries.

I had a test drive of a 2012 kxr awd recently and I couldnt feel a knock, but this kluger only had 15000kms on it so its probaly too soon to have problem,but it is a common problem with later klugers to have the intermediate shafts to be replaced,because of the knock, so they still havent rectified the problem .

Lets us know how you get on mate :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have had 2 klugers in recent years, as company cars, and run up Kms very quickly on both...(140k on a 2009 (new shape) kxsmodel, and 130k already on my 2011 kxr model)

Both had (have) the same problem...and it gets worse with more Kms. My current Kluger is now self destructing the sway bar rubbers and d clips on rhs...free play with high speed cornering becomes worse (vague steering)...the clunk becomes a audible noise when cornering, then becomes a "notch" in your steering point you have to avoid....after that, you start getting lag in front rhs drivetrain.

Had both checked furiously when under warranty...always told it was no issue....had shaft replaced about 50k ago...problem returns.

In short...after 120k it becomes a pain in the $@&$ to drive around sweeping corners above 70km/h.

That's why I get rid of hem shortly thereafter.

Have a 2011 Kluger, had the intermediate steering shaft replaced at 30 or 40k service, problem returned very quickly, have mentioned it at each service since then, but the service centre Buckles have done nothing, service manager told me toyota are obviously aware of the problem, but haven't come up with a solution yet???? Other than replace the shaft. Very disappointing.

Im in the market for a new Kluger , this really throws a spanner into my thoughts .Should i perhaps avoid buying one now and look for something else...........its a bit disapointing to hear that Toyota knows of the fault , yet still allows them to be made with the issue :(

All i can say is that the new one (Dec 2011) i have got the problem much sooner than the old one (09)....(by about 50k km)..perhaps the 17" rims put more strain on the steering arms than the 19"s???...As anyone who has driven in Tassy knows, nobody who designs roads here owns a ruler...(lots of curves on every road!)....and i do a LOT of Km's very quickly (6-7 weks between 10k services)....and about 10% dirt roads...my 2 have been battle tested fairly well!

Klugers have problems..steering arms, hesitation in gearbox (4wd worse)...slack in drivetrain, rear wheel bearings (140k).....wont start quickly in hot weather, o ring on fuel filter leakage (you'll find out at 80k service !)...expensive tyres (19"s especially), headlights blowing every 40k (09 one).....I've had them all !

Unless you clock up the kms like me, you will find them very reliable....ive driven my 2 on rough dirt, 2ft of snow, ice, endless country roads, 2-3ft of water... and found them a good thing, overall. But the have their foilbles like any man made creation! Dont be put off, just do your homeowrk...check the steering arm, be prepared for 80 + 100k services to cost a bomb (spark plugs $50 each!)...and enjoy. Better than amaroks, which are known for EGR valves stuffing up and burning fuel like its free, or spitting $800 computer boxes if you put them in water !

• Like 1