A Toyota with heart and soul?

Why doesn't the new Aurion look like this???

Toyota have traditionally taken the conservative approach with the design of their cars. The latest Camry and Aurion simply look... well, boring (some might call it ugly).

But this gives me hope!

post-25646-0-33103300-1349681300_thumb.j

http://www.toyota.co...alonexperience/

Seriously? Look at the Camry and Aurion!

post-25646-0-29652200-1349682472_thumb.p

post-25646-0-06408700-1349682489_thumb.p

post-25646-0-68257900-1349682501_thumb.p

post-25646-0-24914400-1349682588_thumb.j

They look mostly like box on wheels, those tyres looks way to small for the car (profile of the car makes them look out of place)... And the tail lights looks like they are just borrowed from some random cars and bolted on... Not to mention the sportivo pretty much looks like a supersized Subaru...

post-25646-0-02257700-1349682728_thumb.j

post-25646-0-39415400-1349682748_thumb.j

This on the other hand, has a nice profile on par with modern luxury sedans, and the tail lights still looks copied... sure, but at lease they borrowed the idea from Jaguar! It has a nice sporty look with nice curves and appropriately profiled tyres and it's luxurious! How can you say they look alike??

PS. I drive a Gen6 camry hybrid, I'm not bagging out Toyota as they make nice reliable cars, but Toyota Australia needs a serious wake up call in their design studio...

I'd have to agree with Andrew. They are pretty much on par with each other. That front lower grill is hideous. The current Camry, especially the Atara has a fantastic front end on comparison.

Different strokes for different folks. Their designs don't seem to be affecting their market, so it works for them.

Front end on the Gen 7(in-laws have one) is nice, rear end to me was stolen from a Honda Accord Euro. I don't believe any of the new Toyota's have much soul at all, unlike the 80's-90's models. I was having a discussion the other night with the guys above about this, saying it is one of my major dislikes about our 40 series Aurion, however to me that pic you posted also has no soul.

My 2c.

Fair enough, I guess soul wasn't the correct word here. But at least they are headed in the right direction in my book :)

In other news, I just realised their current model Avalon is very close to our new Aurion, with the exception that they kept most of the tail light from the face lifted Aurion Gen 1, that and the body is shaped more like a saloon with a slightly different front end? Same motor under the hood too.

post-25646-0-37096800-1349698088_thumb.j

post-25646-0-78648000-1349698104_thumb.j

design has gone pretty down hill since the 2001 gen camrys (the one that jeff has) they looked amazing back in the days, when we moved away from the rounded 90s cars and into the more sculpted bodies.

but yeah, the cars are very dull :( the older gen aurions looked alright but nothing amazing, which is why i went with my euro, least i have vtec to keep me entertained at times.

You want heart an soul in a toyota? look at anything before 1999 (exceptions being the 2ZZ engined cars and the 86)

I'm sure you mean the 2zz engine itself, as the chassis was horrible, it wasn't enough power to push the Celicas against k20 powered integras and they just dropped it into the corolla and branded it sportivo, torsion bar rear suspension on a 'sports car'. Also the 2zz was only playing catch up to b18cr which produced similar or better results a generation earlier circa 1996 introduction.

As an example k20 powered mr2 is absolutely insane but for argument sake 2zz isn't bad either I suppose we need to find a b18 one for comparison, it just shows how Toyota isn't building desirable cars of late.

As an example k20 powered mr2 is absolutely insane but for argument sake 2zz isn't bad either I suppose we need to find a b18 one for comparison, it just shows how Toyota isn't building desirable cars of late.

Consistently staying at the top (or close to) of the 'new vehicle sales figures for month ended' suggests otherwise.

Mate

Consistently staying at the top (or close to) of the 'new vehicle sales figures for month ended' suggests otherwise.

In relation to the topic at hand, there are plenty of individuals/companies buying Toyotas as white goods on wheels, but they aren't desirable to people who seek 'heart and soul'

Statistically they sell the most vehicles, but whether they are desirable in respect to what's being discussed in this topic is questionable.

In relation to the topic at hand, there are plenty of individuals/companies buying Toyotas as white goods on wheels, but they aren't desirable to people who seek 'heart and soul'

Statistically they sell the most vehicles, but whether they are desirable in respect to what's being discussed in this topic is questionable.

But are you able to speak for the others purchasing other makes and models of cars and whether they are purchasing their cars because of its "heart and soul"?

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think most people buy Toyota for their look or for the fun driving experience (or lack there of), people buy Toyota for their reliability and low cost of maintenance... perfect for fleet cars and most Australian families! But it seems the reliability and low cost of maintenance comes with a price... they look terrible!

I for one bought the Camry Hybrid not because of it's looks or for the thrill of driving it... I bought it for the above reasons... But if I had a disposable income and could just buy a new car every 3 years without worrying about raising fuel costs, I defs wouldn't be looking at a Toyota! Unless of course I'm actually out to buy a 4wd... It's what they are really really good at!

Having said that, even if I had a disposable income and could care less about the environment or fuel costs, I would actually consider the 2013 Avalon if it was available here... It's an appealing car!

My point is, I bought my Gen 6 Camry Hybrid (it looks alright), drove it around and thought, this isn't bad. I'd buy the new hybrid when it comes out. And sure enough, it was released this year. I took one look at the new Camry and Aurion... and thought... wow... it just got worse, but then I told my self that the new looks will rub off on me.

It's been a couple of months now since their release, and after seeing plenty of them on the road, I'm still not convinced. I keep looking at the cheaper Hyundai, Kia, Ford, or the equally priced Honda and Nissan and wonder... how is it that these cheaper or equally matched brands able to make better looking, and if not, more reliable cars... yet Toyota is still stuck in the naughties? And after doing some digging, I'm actually considering a VW CC as my next car. It's priced at the same point as the top of the range Aurion or Camry Hybrid Luxury, fuel economy is slightly worse off, but for the same price, I get a better looking car that's more fun to drive, and at the same price point, it's definitely better equipped!

PS. It's worth noting that Subaru is following the same trend... it seems the design of their recent cars are getting... out dated of late....

But are you able to speak for the others purchasing other makes and models of cars and whether they are purchasing their cars because of its "heart and soul"?

I believe the discussion is about Toyota, I think the majority of people buying vehicles are for it's practicality, confines of budget, safety, fuel economy etc. How many non enthusiasts go out to buy a car for it's heart and soul, what I'm saying are people who do seek a car with heart and soul will not be excited by what Toyota currently produces.

I believe the discussion is about Toyota, I think the majority of people buying vehicles are for it's practicality, confines of budget, safety, fuel economy etc. How many non enthusiasts go out to buy a car for it's heart and soul, what I'm saying are people who do seek a car with heart and soul will not be excited by what Toyota currently produces.

Which is true, but don't forget you said:

it just shows how Toyota isn't building desirable cars of late.

which is clearly untrue given their roaring popularity. Had you said something like:

As an example k20 powered mr2 is absolutely insane but for argument sake 2zz isn't bad either I suppose we need to find a b18 one for comparison, it just shows how Toyota isn't building cars that are suited for drivers who have a passion for driving anymore.

I would have agreed. While I think the Gen 2 Aurion Sportivo looks good, I have no doubt it will be soulless as the rest of their current range (even if they are good at what they are designed for).

Which is true, but don't forget you said:

it just shows how Toyota isn't building desirable cars of late.

which is clearly untrue given their roaring popularity. Had you said something like:

As an example k20 powered mr2 is absolutely insane but for argument sake 2zz isn't bad either I suppose we need to find a b18 one for comparison, it just shows how Toyota isn't building cars that are suited for drivers who have a passion for driving anymore.

I would have agreed. While I think the Gen 2 Aurion Sportivo looks good, I have no doubt it will be soulless as the rest of their current range (even if they are good at what they are designed for).

As above mentioned in relation to the topic at hand.

Enthusiasts are buying the new 86 at a much faster rate than it is being built - waiting list is sooooooooooooooooooooo long.

To me character isn't built by how great a car is either, it's the things that aren't so great. It's hard to explain, almost like the "perfectly built car is boring.

Holy ******! My car is quite a character then.

Enthusiasts are buying the new 86 at a much faster rate than it is being built - waiting list is sooooooooooooooooooooo long.

look, I agree, however, could it be that's it's a RWD sports car at a ridiculously competitive price range? You're getting a toyota/subaru for hyundai money, that itself is very attractive!

To me character isn't built by how great a car is either, it's the things that aren't so great. It's hard to explain, almost like the "perfectly built car is boring.

Holy ******! My car is quite a character then.

Imagine how good a Great Wall would be then

look, I agree, however, could it be that's it's a RWD sports car at a ridiculously competitive price range? You're getting a toyota/subaru for hyundai money, that itself is very attractive!

Might I also add that the new 86 is actually a pretty good looking car in modern standards? It's what Toyota should be aiming for with all their cars...