Estima Towbar

davo461

A Tarago towbar should fit. You will need to trim a section from the areas rear bumper.

If you have rear parking soanar and the tow bar you find has side protection upstands you have to disable the soanar otherwise it sounds continuously. Most Areas models have reversing camera anyway.

You need to factor the multiplexed electrics as well. The body computer senses the current being drawn by the tail, reversing and indicator lamps globes. You can't connect the trailer lamps to the vehicle rear light circuits. You will need an interface.

I built a circuit using some switch transistors (2N3055) triggered off the existing lights (for a mates car). I used the rear power socket in the LHS rear to get the lamp power.

You may be able to use something like this: http://www.jaycar.co...w.asp?ID=KG9142

Triggered off existing lights instead of the transistors. Since the trigger is only 5mA it should work OK.

Imlachs have stocks of late model Toyota parts http://www.imlachs.c...u/home/home.asp

and so do Just Toyota http://www.justoyota.com.au/

Tell us how you gt on :mellow:

Edited by robmac1

Mine was $400 for a new one, fitted, at my house, on a Saturday morning, in the rain, and they were ready to put their raincoats on till I told them I'd cleared a spot in the shed out the back. There was no electrical interface on mine and haven't seen any issues with lights.

I've seen them secondhand for $100 or so, usually missing the tongue, wiring and bolts and requiring shipping. Wasn't worth the hassle for me.

Mine was $400 for a new one, fitted, at my house, on a Saturday morning, in the rain, and they were ready to put their raincoats on till I told them I'd cleared a spot in the shed out the back. There was no electrical interface on mine and haven't seen any issues with lights.

I've seen them secondhand for $100 or so, usually missing the tongue, wiring and bolts and requiring shipping. Wasn't worth the hassle for me.

You may get away with doubling up on the load current of the body ECU rear light outputs.

But for my money I'll play it safe and keep the current through the body ECU output transistors close to the design limit.

I shudder at the thought of replacing/repairing a body ECU on a full import. :mellow:

Edited by robmac1

• 3 years later...

Hi davo461,

Did u end up fit the tow bar to ur estima yet?, do u have to trim the rear bumper as robmac1 said and where do u bought the tow bar from im Victoria?. I just bought 2005 estima Aeras T and want to put  one onto it.

Cheers

David

• 3 years later...