Tacho issues

davegw

I was wondering whether anyone here has come across this before.

I have a 2008 Toyota Camry Altise.55000kms,bought in June this year from a toyota dealership.

I will be driving either at 60,70,80 and my rpms fluctuates suddenly.It mostly happens when I am sitting around 60 km/hr but also happens at other speeds.I will be doing 60 on a flat road,no decline or incline and suddenly the rpm needle drops,comes up then drops again.It usually sits at around 1800rpm.When it drops it goes down to 1000,back to 1500,eventually sits back around 1800 rpm.

It feels as if I am losing power at the time and as though the brake has been touched.

At times it can do it up to 5 times within a couple of hundred metres.

I have been back and forth to the Toyota dealership without any satisfaction.First they told me I have a faulty instrument panel,I couldn't understand how that can affect the motor where I am losing power as if the fuel is not getting through.

Anyway they replaced it and of course,no difference.Went back again,they say they can't find anything showing up on the computer,but they didn't even bother driving it.

Went to their other dealership where the mechanic I spoke to says it sounds like the speed sensors.

Left it with them and nothing showed up.Booked it in again as they wanted it to be left running when I dropped it off to get the codes out,so they could reset it then enter the codes again.

No codes showed up.They finally took it for a drive but only in the 80 km zone.Was told it did it once,though I think it should have been driven around 60 km/hr as I told them that is when it happens alot more.

The answer I got is that it is normal as it toyotas "fuel saving" way so when you are driving,it shuts off the fuel.If that is so,why does it do it up to 5 times and why does the rpm drop even when the speed is constant.It is a very annoying thing and I find that excuse hard to believe.I would not think it is something toyota would have programmed into the cars computer which would irritate the hell out of the driver.You can feel it when it is just about to do it as it is as I said like your power is dropping and the brake just touched.

If anybody has an idea,please let me know.