Faulty headlight switch ZRE152

I have been having a problem with my headlight switch. When i turn the lights on sometimes they do not operate. Sometime they will work but the dash lights don't turn on. And other times i have been driving and turned the high beam on and the lights go out completely. Now i have taken it back to Toyota and they have confirmed that it needs to be replace. This might be a common problem as they do carry this part in stock at my local Toyota dealership. I guess whats annoying about all this is the car had done less than 100000km when this started to happen. Another concern is how dangerous this can be when you have your family in the car and your lights go out. I guess Toyota just doe not have the same quality as they used to. You see recalls on faulty electric window switch's so maybe they have the same problems with other switches in the Toyota range. All i can really say is shame on you Toyota for putting peoples safety on the line with substandard products.

Stretch1000 - I have had just had this problem, the switch inside the steering wheel was not touching correctly therefore my parker, rear and dash light would not turn at times and then it would it is now gonna cost me $495 to get it fixed faulty swtich inside the auto-electrician showed me

What a very expensive part....and I agree it is possible another recall problem just like the windows......not made like they used to be. Not happy Jan

• 1 month later...

I have this problem too :( , i have had it confirmed that the stalk will need replacing.

I will be returning to the dealer to demand they have it fixed.

Under consumer law all australian sold items must last a resonable amount of time, my stalk has malfunctioned after just 4 years.

I don't see this as a resonable amount of time and as a result, I will be reporting this to the appropriate authorities.

Those of you that have had the problem please report to the authorities also, I think Toyota need to address this issue and replace the malfunctioning stalks free of charge as it appears to be a manufacturing fault causing these issues.

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just thought I'd let everyone know my ZRE started experiencing this problem last week. I'd switch on the driving lights and they'd take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes before they came on.

I took it into Newcastle Toyota and the guys there have been great. They said the issue is common enough that they now put in a request to Toyota Australia for them to cover all costs. Got a call today to say it's been approved, so getting it all fixed at no cost.

Another lurker here coming out of hiding. I've had the same issue and have been quoted $496 (NZ) to have the headlight switch replaced. I'll be querying this with the dealer and plan to also contact Toyota NZ to see if anything can be done given what appears to be a quite common issue.

A reply from a Toyota NZ representative:

Dear Mr Doran

Thank you for your enquiry to Toyota New Zealand regarding the headlight switch on your Toyota Corolla, registration XXXXXX.

The Toyota Motor Corporation have carried out investigations, and it was found that the issue is caused by silicon contamination on dimmer switch contacts. This is caused by continual on/off operation of the dimmer switch which leads to build up of silicon oxidation and reduced continuity of switch contacts. Also, many automotive interior and exterior cleaning products contain silicon, as well as a number of hand creams and sunscreens. We recommend that car cleaning products containing any silicon are not used on either the interior or exterior of vehicles.

As the warranty on your vehicle has now expired and due to the mileage on your vehicle, unfortunately we are unable to assist you in recovering the costs for this repair.

We thank you again for contacting us and we hope this response provides you with the clarification you require.

Kind Regards

• 4 weeks later...

My wifes ZRE152 rolla had the same stalk issue. I spoke with a family friend who works for Toyota's service department where we take the car and he mentioned it has started popping up as a regular issue with these models. Easy enough fix, but a pain in the butt when they start going out in the middle of a nights drive. Scary stuff...

Just a quick follow-up note. In the week after I had the issue repaired on my Corolla I got a phone call from Toyota NZ and they said they would cover the costs of the repair. I returned to my local Toyota dealer/workshop and the cost of the repair was refunded to me. I don't know if this means the issue is now being covered by Toyota NZ as standard or this happened simply because I queried it with them. I guess it pays to ask.

My Mum had her 2008 Corolla Sedan with 100,000 kms on the clock , she had the same faulty headlight stalk and Power Window Master Switch got it replaced free of charge from Toyota.

Got done today at Fergusson Toyota Bemore but the other branch in Hurstville said she has to pay for and the Blemore Branch did if for free so its best to ring around

Edited by brendon08

One more Corolla on the list ! Indeed I have the same problem described in the topic on my corolla ascent 2007, but model ZZE122R.

After changing the fuse, checking the headlight relay on a test bench with external power supply I thought the problem could come from either a bad ground connexion or the combination switch... It looks like it is better to change the stalk...

I will try to see a toyota around lidcombe and see if they can repair it free of charge...

Can anyone in Sydney area advise on a toyota dealer who is already aware of the problem ? So I might show up there and will probably have better chances to get it swapped for free...

Cheers

Step2 : went to Toyota Lidcombe this morning and after check, they say the only recall for my model ZZE122 was for the power switch windows....

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1029256

Nothing related to the headlight switch. Their quote for having it done is ~170 for the switch, ~70dollars for the job... I am not so sure if this is with or without tax.

If anyone has ever done that for free in Sydney, I am keen to go to the same place...

Edited by runo

• 8 months later...

I have a similar problem although mine started after having a new head unit installed. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it as I don't know much about cars. Like some here, mine was originally intermittent and now my dash lights- including air con controls etc and gear assembly lights, instrument cluster lights and tail lights don't work at all.

Will be getting things checked with the guy who installed the head unit and then go from there. If anyone has any other ideas as to the cause-advice is much appreciated.

I also checked the fuses and they seem fine

I have had the same issue with my daughters Yaris, the fix is very easy, The contact in the stalk have pitting and electrical arc burn on the contact face ,if you remove the steering shrouds you will see a clear plastic cover over a line of contacts on the back face of the indicator/headlight assy. disconnect the battery for 5 min gently pry off the cover and slide 1200 wet and dry paper over the contacts while switching to parkers and headlight to force the contacts closed, make shore you do both. refit cover and shroud and reconnect battery and test. I would only recommend you do this if you have good mechanical skills, I am a retired mechanic so I was fine with this, otherwise you are up for a combo switch

• Like 1

Ring Fergusson Toyota in Belmore and tell them your light stalk is playing up and see if they can replace it for free

Thanks for the tip. I will see how I go tomorrow with the guy who installed my head unit and will go from there

I have had the same issue with my daughters Yaris, the fix is very easy, The contact in the stalk have pitting and electrical arc burn on the contact face ,if you remove the steering shrouds you will see a clear plastic cover over a line of contacts on the back face of the indicator/headlight assy. disconnect the battery for 5 min gently pry off the cover and slide 1200 wet and dry paper over the contacts while switching to parkers and headlight to force the contacts closed, make shore you do both. refit cover and shroud and reconnect battery and test. I would only recommend you do this if you have good mechanical skills, I am a retired mechanic so I was fine with this, otherwise you are up for a combo switch

I did try this after watching a video on how to do this as I am in no way good with cars. I only had some thin cardboard handy and this did not work. I will have to give it a go with the sand paper.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am newbie and I have th same problem(2007 Toyota Corolla Ascent Zre152r), Chatswood Toyota told me the I have to replace the entire headlight switch and the parkers.

pls be gentle on me as this is the first post and also what is the "stalk".

Thanks,

-Venkat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tw586

You said:

I have had the same issue with my daughters Yaris, the fix is very easy,
The contact in the stalk have pitting and electrical arc burn on the
contact face ,if you remove the steering shrouds you will see a clear
plastic cover over a line of contacts on the back face of the
indicator/headlight assy. disconnect the battery for 5 min gently pry
off the cover and slide 1200 wet and dry paper over the contacts while
switching to parkers and headlight to force the contacts closed, make
shore you do both. refit cover and shroud and reconnect battery and
test.

That worked very well with my Corolla Hatchback ZRE152. I have little mechanical knowledge but was able to fix the light switch using fine sandpaper. I would add: Gently remove top & bottom plastic shrouds over the indicator and wiper stalk switches on the steering. No screws, just pull or work off gently. The back of the stalk switch is barely visible even if you lean over to the dash as far as you can go, however you will see a clear plastic cover. Ease off the clear plastic, you will then get a side view (but only just) of the contacts. You will know these are the contacts when you switch on park lights/headlamp because you will see them move inwards. No need to disconnect battery, just remove wire connector from socket under to isolate this switch . Now you can insert the wet and dry paper between contacts, twist switch on to bring contacts together and rub. Reverse whole procedure, test to see that lights now working, and replace plastic shrouds, they should click back on. No screwdriver required, just the abrasive paper.

Many thanks, Tony. That would have saved me a hundred or two.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had this issue. The dashboard light's on my wife's Toyota Corolla Levin 2008 were intermittently going out. Sometimes you turn the lights off and on and they would come back.

I recently realised that the tail lights were also not working.

The sandpaper trick worked a treat. For those not technically minded you can find a youtube video on how to do it.

Just remember it's american so everything is backwards.

It's probably dangerous to say this on a toyota fanboys website but this sort of problem is becoming far too frequent. I've always owned Mazda's in the past and never had these kind of problems and recall issues. I'll be going back to Mazda they are much more reliable.

Thanks again for the tips.

• 10 months later...

Hi all, 

Been a couple of years since the last post, so not sure if anyone will see my post.

I also have a ZRE152 & have this same problem. I first noticed my dash lights not coming on, but then intermittently coming on after a little while. I had no idea my tail lights were also not working until several ppl stopped by me to tell me. It is obviously a safety issue & I can't believe there has not been a recall on it. I have called a few auto electricians & it is not cheap to replace the switch, but also called a couple of Toyota dealerships in Adelaide who said themselves it is a common problem, but quoted me 2 vastly different prices to fix.

As my car is now 9 years old and has done 67000kms, do you think it is unreasonable to push for this to be replaced at Toyota's expense? On what grounds do you think I could demand it..safety? I have 2 toddler twins in the back..

Has anyone here in SA had any success in getting it replaced for free?

I'm not mechanically minded at all so worried to the sandpaper fix myself.

Due to the car being so far out of the warranty period, I think you will have next to no chance of Toyota replacing it at nil cost.

If this issue was as common as the melting dash issue(which it isn't), you may have had a chance.

• 4 months later...

Newbie here. I know this is an old topic, but thanks to your posts I have been able to fix the light switch on my 2006 Yaris, saving $350! I had to take out two screws from behind the steering wheel (by turning the steering wheel 90 deg. clockwise & anticlockwise from centre) but was then able to gently prise off the top cover from the steering wheel housing. No easy way to take off the bottom cover so I left it in place while I gained access to the light switch connections and gently sandpapered them.

Thank you, particularly to the following members:

On 20 April 2014 at 8:54 PM, tw586 said:

On 23 May 2014 at 8:49 AM, Kenp said:

Hi tw586

You said:

I have had the same issue with my daughters Yaris, the fix is very easy,
The contact in the stalk have pitting and electrical arc burn on the
contact face ,if you remove the steering shrouds you will see a clear
plastic cover over a line of contacts on the back face of the
indicator/headlight assy. disconnect the battery for 5 min gently pry
off the cover and slide 1200 wet and dry paper over the contacts while
switching to parkers and headlight to force the contacts closed, make
shore you do both. refit cover and shroud and reconnect battery and
test.

That worked very well with my Corolla Hatchback ZRE152. I have little mechanical knowledge but was able to fix the light switch using fine sandpaper. I would add: Gently remove top & bottom plastic shrouds over the indicator and wiper stalk switches on the steering. No screws, just pull or work off gently. The back of the stalk switch is barely visible even if you lean over to the dash as far as you can go, however you will see a clear plastic cover. Ease off the clear plastic, you will then get a side view (but only just) of the contacts. You will know these are the contacts when you switch on park lights/headlamp because you will see them move inwards. No need to disconnect battery, just remove wire connector from socket under to isolate this switch . Now you can insert the wet and dry paper between contacts, twist switch on to bring contacts together and rub. Reverse whole procedure, test to see that lights now working, and replace plastic shrouds, they should click back on. No screwdriver required, just the abrasive paper.

Many thanks, Tony. That would have saved me a hundred or two.

On 3 September 2015 at 6:59 PM, Travis Yates said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had this issue. The dashboard light's on my wife's Toyota Corolla Levin 2008 were intermittently going out. Sometimes you turn the lights off and on and they would come back.

I recently realised that the tail lights were also not working.

The sandpaper trick worked a treat. For those not technically minded you can find a youtube video on how to do it.

Just remember it's american so everything is backwards.

It's probably dangerous to say this on a toyota fanboys website but this sort of problem is becoming far too frequent. I've always owned Mazda's in the past and never had these kind of problems and recall issues. I'll be going back to Mazda they are much more reliable.

Thanks again for the tips.

• 2 years later...

Hi my wifes yaris lost dash lights ,tail lights,fog lights and door open chime. After exhasting all Globes fuses and relay found light stalk the problem .when i pulled apart found contact finger was wedged open by a contact that dropped out and stopped finger closing. Ironicly the contact that dropped out was to push finger out and allow to return when needed. I had to bend finger out and re insert then bend finger back till i got adjustment correct again. Now all works fine.  The only warnings are make sure battery disconnected and air bag in this region. And you dont want to short out and do more damage not to mention blow your head off.

Another tip tail globes dont have to have broken filaments to be blown as can look good but still not work or work intermittantly. Hop this helps as cost me nothing to fix but time. 

This is why toyota should recall as could have shorted out and started fire or lost lights while night driving.  Hope someone gets help as auto elec couldnt find problem so was up to me.