2WD traction problems

starfield7

I have a 2001 2WD workmate that can't move from a standing start on a wet day. The lack of traction on the rear wheels is frightening, and would be dangerous if I ever needed to take off quickly. Going uphill on worn asphalt I can spin the wheels in 3rd doing 40km/hr. The tyres are almost new; they are not the cause of the problem.

I am assuming this is because there is very little weight over the rear wheels, but aside from welding 500kg of steel weights over the axel, is there anything else that can be done to improve the traction of this vehicle? Is there a standard modification? This is a great car and I don't want to have to sell it because of this issue.

Thanks

Dave

Are they road-car tyres or light-commercial tyres? Quite a common problem with leaf-sprung utes, the rear end is designed to operate properly when fully loaded (~1 tonne payload for instance) which then compromises unladen performance. Compound that with light-commerical tyres which are designed for load carrying rather than grip and you'll quite easily spin the tyres.

The leaf springs in the back are also likely to be more than you need if not carrying a load. If you don't plan on carrying heavy loads, then removing a leaf or 2 can help alleviate your problem somewhat

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my workmate it was a pain in the ****!!!

i picked up a set of steel 17" ford terittroy wheels and fitted some 245/45r17 tyres to them made a huge difference in the wet looks better aswell :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. The tyres are standard light-commercial; same as what came with it new. My local tyre dealer was insistent that if I didn't replace the tyres with the ones designed for the vehicle then I may void any insurance claim. Logic says I am more likely to have an accident if I leave the vehicle in its current configuration, so I think I'm going to get my tyres from somewhere else from now on.

How hard is it to remove a leaf? Without a load it's a very rough ride. I'd remove a leaf just to make things more comfortable. If it improves traction as well then I'm sold on the idea.

Dave

Just before you go removing leafs from the springs,you havent by any chance stuck a set of oversize gas shocks on the rear axle have ya !!!!!!!!!! A mate had a hilux 2wd tray back, rode sweet as,maybe a little hard when empty,then thought he was king sh*t by sticking an oversize,heavy duty shocks in place of the original,but unless he was carrying 11/2 tonnes of sh*t in the tray it travelled like it was solid.

Try this remove the bottom shock bolts,compress them and tie them up to the chassis rails,go around the block and see how it feels.

These ute DO NOT need a heavy duty shock.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if the LT tyres have around 65psi in them unladed thats not helping.

Tyre dealer iscorrect in saying;

The combined payload of the rear tyres has to be equal or greater than the maximum rear axle weight load limit.

Try a set of wheels,tyres off a late model.I just sold my original 15" rims with as new 205/70 15 bridgestone R623 rubber.Bolt straight on,all legal and cheap as!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by CONROD

Thanks for the advice Conrod.

The shocks are originals. The ute has only done 90,000km (good for a 11yo car). But the ride is seriously stiff when empty. With 300kg in the back it's much smoother, but I drive it without any weight 95% of the time.

I've tried deflating the tyres; no difference to the traction or ride.

Dave

Never mind mate it was worth a shot,unfortunately that shape of hilux always did ride choppy unladen.

I used to have a 87 2wd hilux tray back and I was running 14 x 7 alloys with 215/65 r 14 radials,and running around 32psi in the front and 28psi in the rear (unladen ) it rode a hell of alot better,but as the other posts said,to get it to ride alot better you might have to resort removing a leaf or two from the rear.

On my dual cab hilux i have now -current shape- I,m running 16x7 alloys and 235/60r16 (all LOAD RATED ) and it rides and handles like a sedan.

Keep us informed of how you get on mate.

Like you say very good milage for its age.

Hey Starfield7, I have an 01 hilux too but with the styleside tray, and share the same problem. From what I've heard it's the main problem with the hilux - great for when you need to carry heavy loads but otherwise annoying and dangerous. I changed my tyres from Pirelli to a toyo H08 (I still have stock steel wheels) and lowered the pressure to 32psi and this seems to have helped but I still have problems in the wet - particularly on hills. I have thought about welding some threaded rod on / near the rear axil so I could bolt and unbolt steel plates to it. Not sure how this would go and if its even legal.. If I get around to it though I'll let you know :)