Just bought me a 97 Wombat!

Crash Lander

Hi all. been a couple of years now since I was last here. I had an 88 Tarago RV 5sp Manual 2.2l, and 2 weeks ago it got stolen. They smashed the windscreen, and fried the clutch. Insurance decided to write it off, as engine has also no doubt had it's nuts torn off during the night of burnouts it no doubt did.

Anyway. Just bought myself a 97 GLi tarago. Pick it up next week after it gets it's roadie done.

It's white, doesn't have a bull bar, or a tow bar, but that doesn't particularlt phase me. It's done 240-ish thousand kms. Auto, power bits and pieces. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this model. Anyway, managed to pick it up drive away including rego til July next year and a rwc, and including transfer for $4695. Pretty stoked with the price considering it's a June 97 compliance!

During the test drive, I noticed 2 small things. The first was a whistle type sound that seemed to come from the rear of the car, but ONLY when the accelerator was being used. Sounded almost like that whistle you get in a car that runs on lpg, and the tank is almost empty. The second thing was a slight (almost imperceptible) shudder when slowing down. noticed it most when approaching a round-about. Wouldn't say it was thinking about stalling, but I noticed it. Felt like engine more than body or driveshaft shudder to me. I did just read an old thread on here about some air line under the passenger seat that gets a little one way valve blocked. The thread suggested that removing the valve helps economy and also eliminates the almost stalling issue that was being talked about in that thread. I suspect this might be the cause of what I felt, so i plan to look at that when I get it next week.

Any thoughts or ideas on the whistle?

Hi all. been a couple of years now since I was last here. I had an 88 Tarago RV 5sp Manual 2.2l, and 2 weeks ago it got stolen. They smashed the windscreen, and fried the clutch. Insurance decided to write it off, as engine has also no doubt had it's nuts torn off during the night of burnouts it no doubt did.

Anyway. Just bought myself a 97 GLi tarago. Pick it up next week after it gets it's roadie done.

It's white, doesn't have a bull bar, or a tow bar, but that doesn't particularlt phase me. It's done 240-ish thousand kms. Auto, power bits and pieces. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this model. Anyway, managed to pick it up drive away including rego til July next year and a rwc, and including transfer for $4695. Pretty stoked with the price considering it's a June 97 compliance!

During the test drive, I noticed 2 small things. The first was a whistle type sound that seemed to come from the rear of the car, but ONLY when the accelerator was being used. Sounded almost like that whistle you get in a car that runs on lpg, and the tank is almost empty. The second thing was a slight (almost imperceptible) shudder when slowing down. noticed it most when approaching a round-about. Wouldn't say it was thinking about stalling, but I noticed it. Felt like engine more than body or driveshaft shudder to me. I did just read an old thread on here about some air line under the passenger seat that gets a little one way valve blocked. The thread suggested that removing the valve helps economy and also eliminates the almost stalling issue that was being talked about in that thread. I suspect this might be the cause of what I felt, so i plan to look at that when I get it next week.

Any thoughts or ideas on the whistle?

The whistle is a small exhaust leak in the flange gasket. Most people live with it and accept the noise as a TCR Tarago foible.

I had a 1990 TCR 12 for seven years and whistle was always present and never got any worse.

Our dog would hear the whistle and start barking as soon as I approached the end of our street.

Check the cooling system has coolant (not water) and is clean. If not a radiator removal and clean is a good idea on a 240k Tarago.

Provided you keep the vehicle full of oil and water and service regularly you should have no problems.

Well, I brought it home yesterday. Drives nice. The only thing I would comment on is that the car smells very hot after being driven, and the exhaust system ticks a lot as it cools, indicating that indeed is very hot. Is this normal? the exhaust system doesn't appear to be new. Other than that, i love it!

Well, I brought it home yesterday. Drives nice. The only thing I would comment on is that the car smells very hot after being driven, and the exhaust system ticks a lot as it cools, indicating that indeed is very hot. Is this normal? the exhaust system doesn't appear to be new. Other than that, i love it!

"Clicking" in the exhaust is pretty normal for a lot of cars after a long drive.

The smell may the the detergent burning off after the pressure clean preparation for sale.

Provided the temperature gauge sits in the middle of the scale then it should not be overheating.

The TCR series, especially the TCR12 with the fully independent rear end are a magic car. However the 2.4 is definitely a bit under powered IMO.

In the USA they were fitted a clutched supercharger, but we never saw this model in Australia.

I still prefer the handling of my previous RWD TCR12 to my current FWD MCR30. However the V6 is really nice.

The perfect combo would have been the 200 hp V6 in the old egg!

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by robmac1

"Clicking" in the exhaust is pretty normal for a lot of cars after a long drive.

The smell may the the detergent burning off after the pressure clean preparation for sale.

Provided the temperature gauge sits in the middle of the scale then it should not be overheating.

The TCR series, especially the TCR12 with the fully independent rear end are a magic car. However the 2.4 is definitely a bit under powered IMO.

In the USA they were fitted a clutched supercharger, but we never saw this model in Australia.

I still prefer the handling of my previous RWD TCR12 to my current FWD MCR30. However the V6 is really nice.

Good luck and enjoy!

I actually think the 2.4l is reasonable pokey. What one needs to remember is that I've moved from a 1988 Tarago RV 2.2l 5 speed manual to this 97 model. I find it more than adequate.

Is mine a TCR12? Is there a list anywhere that tells me what TCR12, and TCR 11 etc are?

Good luck and enjoy!

I actually think the 2.4l is reasonable pokey. What one needs to remember is that I've moved from a 1988 Tarago RV 2.2l 5 speed manual to this 97 model. I find it more than adequate.

Is mine a TCR12? Is there a list anywhere that tells me what TCR12, and TCR 11 etc are?

Open the bonnet and look inside the engine bay (inside the passenger side front mudguard up towards the windscreen) you will see an aluminium stamped body plate with the model and VIN details.

The various Toyota Tarago models are described in detail here:

http://www.goauto.co...ta&model=Tarago

The TCR12 was the GLS model with the fully independent rear end. This model ceased after 1992?? because of expense of manufacture.

The TCR 20 series are the all trac part time 4wd.

The TCR10 was the early model solid rear axle

The TCR11 was the later model of the TCR10, still with solid rear axle, but with airbags and trim enhancements.

If you think the 2.4 is pokey you should try a MCR30 with 3L (1MZFE) Camry engine!

And I still get around 10.5 km/l

We started with early Tarago too. It was a good vehicle.

post-30305-0-43220300-1352887871_thumb.j

Edited by robmac1