Help needed - 2005 Corolla with no Headlights

Romulus

Greetings all,

I Have a 2005 Corolla which has no headlights at the moment.

On First setting of light switch - parking lights and instrumentation lights work.

On Second setting - no low beam.

Push light switch stalk toward dashboard - no high beam.

Pull light switch stalk toward steering wheel to flash high beam - high beam works.

I removed the low beam bulbs and connected them individually to battery power just to make sure they weren't both blown - they work.

I then located the 2 15 A fuses in the fuse box in front L/H side of engine bay (L/H & R/H Headlight) - they're both O.K.

Then I took out the fuses and checked across the fuse fixtures with a multi-meter while headlight switch was turned off or turned to parking - no power there.

Then turned the switch to low beam - power is there.

So the light switch appears to be working correctly.

Then I put the fuses back & tested the plugs that go onto the light fixtures with the meter while low beam was switched on - no power there.

So.....

Either there is a problem with the headlight relay, or maybe wiring has been damaged or a junction connector is faulty

I would think if wiring has been damaged, a short would occur, in which case the fuses would have blown.

As for a headlight relay, I can't seem to locate it.

According to the illustration on the inside of the lid of the fuse box, right next to the two 15 A Headlight fuses there is a space allocated for a

50 A (EMPS) & 40 A (Head Main) fuse or relay but in my fuse box there's Just a big blank space where they should be.

Any thoughts on locating it, or any other leads would be appreciated,

Regards,

R.

Edited by Romulus

replace your headlight stalk and all your problems will be solvered! if it works on pull back of the stalk on high beam but not when u forward click it will be the stalk for sure,

to replace it turn your steering wheel 90 degrees left or right and you will see a screw in the plastic trim hiding there either side, then one or two screws from underneath and the plastic trim will clip apart into two pieces and come off. then its just a clip and an electrical plug and the stalk will slide off,

On a side note if your car doesnt have driving lights in the front bumper, now is the perfect time to get the stalk with the driving light switch on it and install the lights and micro relay!

• 3 years later...

Hi Romulus

I have exactly the same problem that you had with your Corolla. You have described my issue word for word.

How did you solve it?

Also, did you ever locate the relay for the headlights? I have an identical empty space where the relay is indicated to be, with no relay in place.

Help much appreciated.

Regards

Neil

• 2 years later...

I also had the exact same issue with my 2006 corolla and was quoted $282 for a new dimming stalk. I ended up removing the switch and at the back of the switch there was a clear plastic cover and then a smaller clear plastic cover under the first one which i removed and there was three copper coated pins but only two out of the three pins made contact when i turned the headlight switch on, so i carefully bent the problem pin down a little and now it works fine and saved myself some money. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just wanted some input on some problems im having with my2002 facelift 

Currently my low beams are not working. My parkers and my fog lights are working fine. My high beam works fine at the moment too but only when i press it. However my high beam doesnt work when i put it in automatic high beam. Whenever i press the high beam, my low beam lights will turn on.

Power seems to be going into my low beam lights when i press the high beam. Whenever i turn my low beam lights on no power is going to them. I checked it on a volt meter.

I have checked the fuses they seem to be all fine.

Has this problem happened to anyone before? I have done some research it seems to be my head light switch? do you guys think thats the problem?

3 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I have done some research it seems to be my head light switch? do you guys think thats the problem?

This tends to be the case most times and I would lean towards replacing the headlight stalk. The contacts can go bad causing irratic switching conditions. 

If the fuses are not blown and your power circuit is ok, then by the powers of deduction, the stalk control is usually what needs attention. After all, it is the working part of that system that gets the most abuse, so it's no surprise they go bad after years of usage.

Update today:-

i went with my test light and checked all the fuses on the cabin located in the passenger seat and found only one fuses not working which the one i circled can anyone tell me whether is related to the low beam and high beam switch or not ?

also the fuse is not blowed shall i dig with wiring or it’s not related   

Here I attached the fuses guide  for reference if those fuse not related to the headlights switch then i will go ahead and replace the stalk.  

438566A8-F3E2-4942-B76D-180AE18EF5A0.jpeg

FADB478E-5678-43A4-869C-85948F997588.jpeg

Edited by Sheriff