Strange gearbox or clutch noise?

Hi, Im new here.

I recently bought a silver 2003 Corolla Sportivo with 144Kkms. It is a fun car, but it has a weird grinding noise when riding the clutch, particularly in reverse.

The noise is worst when reversing from cold start. It is a kind of TZZZZZ noise that is quite loud once I start to reverse, riding the clutch, though stops once I let the clutch out completely. It is nowhere near as loud when engaging 1st, and can only just be heard if I ride the clutch during 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear changes.

The gearbox itself seems otherwise OK during normal driving, with possibly only the slightest of bearing noises and no syncro issues when driving - it is only bad when releasing the clutch in reverse. The shift action has a pretty average feel to it, but it goes into gears just fine, with only a slight snick.

As a side, I find the clutch hard to get just right on take off. I either spin the clutch or bog down. The take up point was originally quite low to the floor, which I have raised a little by adjusting the clutch push rod out 2 turns. I was told that the clutch had always been like that since the previous owner bought the car 3 years ago. It had apparently had a new clutch before she bought it.

I have also changed the gearbox oil to Redline MT80(?) and added Nulon additive. I can't recall if the current noise was there before I adjusted the clutch and changed the oil.

Some of my thoughts are the noise could be:

a thrust bearing problem, but would expect it to occurr in all gears;

an input shaft bearing, though I would expect that it would be constant noise whilst driving - unless it is just commencing and is worst under load.

reverse gear isn't initially fully engaging, which would be a linkage problem; or

an engine or gearbox mount is shot, so the drivetrain is moving under load and hitting something? I note that sometimes when starting the car I do hear a similar noise for a fraction of a second.

Any ideas?

If I can't get any solid leads from here, I might try fiddling with the clutch rod and bleed the clutch cylinder and adjusting the clutch rod to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

James

Edited by jimbolambert

I read the first paragraph and can tell you it's your thrust bearing

Mine does the exact same.. I just couldn't be bothered doing mine

I'll do it over Christmas...

Thrust bearing was my initial thought. Just strange how it is mainly in reverse.

Thanks for those who offered genuine help, but I will probably never know the cause because the car has just been sold!

It was a fun car, but ultimately, this problem and not great ergomics (flat seats and lack wheel reach adjustment) led to me deciding to hang onto my other car.

However, I will still be around, as I am still considering the idea of upgrading to a 86GT in the near future. :-)

Thanks

James

Hi, Im new here.

I recently bought a silver 2003 Corolla Sportivo with 144Kkms. It is a fun car, but it has a weird grinding noise when riding the clutch, particularly in reverse.

The noise is worst when reversing from cold start. It is a kind of TZZZZZ noise that is quite loud once I start to reverse, riding the clutch, though stops once I let the clutch out completely. It is nowhere near as loud when engaging 1st, and can only just be heard if I ride the clutch during 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear changes.

The gearbox itself seems otherwise OK during normal driving, with possibly only the slightest of bearing noises and no syncro issues when driving - it is only bad when releasing the clutch in reverse. The shift action has a pretty average feel to it, but it goes into gears just fine, with only a slight snick.

As a side, I find the clutch hard to get just right on take off. I either spin the clutch or bog down. The take up point was originally quite low to the floor, which I have raised a little by adjusting the clutch push rod out 2 turns. I was told that the clutch had always been like that since the previous owner bought the car 3 years ago. It had apparently had a new clutch before she bought it.

I have also changed the gearbox oil to Redline MT80(?) and added Nulon additive. I can't recall if the current noise was there before I adjusted the clutch and changed the oil.

Some of my thoughts are the noise could be:

a thrust bearing problem, but would expect it to occurr in all gears;

an input shaft bearing, though I would expect that it would be constant noise whilst driving - unless it is just commencing and is worst under load.

reverse gear isn't initially fully engaging, which would be a linkage problem; or

an engine or gearbox mount is shot, so the drivetrain is moving under load and hitting something? I note that sometimes when starting the car I do hear a similar noise for a fraction of a second.

Any ideas?

If I can't get any solid leads from here, I might try fiddling with the clutch rod and bleed the clutch cylinder and adjusting the clutch rod to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

James

tristar-tldr.gif