Kluger Grande navigation / command centre screen won't open

Films

So I'm guessing what I'm about to describe is a pretty rare issue but here goes .....

I own a 2010 Kluger Grande that has only done 31000klms. I'm also a fastidious owner so the car is in showroom condition. 2 days ago, my wife was attempting to change a CD in the CD stacker and inadvertently ejected the map DVD. Realising she had ejected the wrong disk, she reinserted the map DVD and closed the screen. Now the screen won't open at all. When I say "at all" I mean there is no way to get it open using either the 'LOAD-CLOSE' button or any of the buttons on the screen. To make matters more interesting, the navigation now doesn't work as the system says there is no map DVD inserted when you press the MAP or DESTINATION buttons even though the front screen shows there is one inserted (i.e. it's contradicting itself).

To try and rectify this, I have tried the following:

Turning the car on and off,

Several combinations of buttons together,

Pushing and holding every button for an extended period of time,

Pulling the fuse that runs the whole system and

Trying to wiggle the screen while pushing the 'LOAD-CLOSE' button.

I haven't disconnected the battery as I can't find the security code for the media system and didn't want to lose everything like the radio and the CD's that are in there and still play.

Any assistance or advise is welcome.

• 5 months later...

Hey, did you have any luck getting your nav/cd unit opened? I have exactly the same problem as you are describing and happened pretty much the same way. I havent had a chance to try any "physical" fixes yet, but pushing a combination of buttons etc doesnt seem to work. Thanks.

I just tried to fix this by disconnecting the battery and waiting etc. but this didnt fix it. it has actually made it worse. The radio and cd are not working now either. I think the unit is looking for the pin code but all that the screen will display is something like "no map disc" and still the screen wont open!

I am open to suggestions but it looks like I will have to remove the unit on the weekend to try to fix it somehow that way.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I know this may sound strange given you have disconnected the battery but I had purchased a second hand Factory SAT NAV unit and placed this in my 2011 Kluger. Worked fine then had the same issue. Wether it was chance or not I fixed my issue by disconnecting the unit from the back of head unit about 4 or 5 plugs and it reset itself and all works fine now. I hope this also works for you guys

For those that are unsure how to disassemble your dash I found the below link very handy although it is an American Highlander.

Good luck

John

I had no luck in fixing this problem myself. I pulled the unit and partly disassembled it but couldn't find the fault. I was Googling solutions and I randomly found Northfield Car Sound in Brisbane. I gave them a call and the repair guy (Gary I think) knew exactly what the problem was once I described it to him. It was a small plastic gear that had broken that was causing the problem. The only thing was that nobody made the gear by itself, you have to buy the whole DVD loading mechanism to source the gear required!

Anyway I dropped the unit into him and he replaced the gear (and the DVD mechanism) and I put it back in and it is as good as new. It cost about $600 but this was the best option for me because I didn't want to put an aftermarket unit in. The other option he gave me was to fit my map DVD and lock it in (not replace the gear) but no way of updating the maps when you want to unless you disassembled the unit again....this would have saved about $400 though.

Gents,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your posts. I've had epic trouble logging in.

Just thought I would let you know that I took my vehicle for a drive on a corrugated dirt road and the problem fixed itself. It seems that the disk was shaken into the mechanism. Everything now works fine.

While I'm here, has anyone heard of a way to make the system capable of Bluetooth streaming?

Cheers,

Films.

• 8 years later...

Hi,

I have 2010 Toyota Kluger Grande. Last week, by mistake I removed Map DVD instead of Music CD and when I tried to insert it, it gives cracking sound and ejecting. I did this several times but not loading. Reverse Cam was working at that time. However, my battery went flat during this week and I put a new battery but now reverse cam is also not working. In short, whole unit is not working. It shows message "Insert CD" on unit. 

Can anyone help me how to sort out this problem without replacing unit please so that my unit accept Map DVD and it starts working both Navigation & Reverse Cam. I am residing in Blacktown area of NSW.

Thanks and look forward to someone's help.

Edited by Giri

On 12/22/2021 at 11:23 AM, Giri said:

Hi,

I have 2010 Toyota Kluger Grande. Last week, by mistake I removed Map DVD instead of Music CD and when I tried to insert it, it gives cracking sound and ejecting. I did this several times but not loading. Reverse Cam was working at that time. However, my battery went flat during this week and I put a new battery but now reverse cam is also not working. In short, whole unit is not working. It shows message "Insert CD" on unit. 

Can anyone help me how to sort out this problem without replacing unit please so that my unit accept Map DVD and it starts working both Navigation & Reverse Cam. I am residing in Blacktown area of NSW.

Thanks and look forward to someone's help.

Unfortunately, the Toyota head units are a Junk unit. They fail without notice and parts break inside for no apparent reason other than to say that they are poorly made. It's a proper cost cutting exercise Toyota and most others take. If it lasts until the car is out of warranty, then that's mission accomplished.

You could be lucky to find a good, working unit from a wrecker. If not then it's time to upgrade with a better quality item. Don't go for those cheap Chinese made rubbish either. It too will become landfill in no time. Stick with name brands like Pioneer, JVC, Alpine etc

• 2 months later...