Is it true

justin_es

ok guys i have read so many times that putting 18's on my Stivo will actually slow the car down

the rims im lookingat are the speedy lite 7's so there light weight

anyways i have also herd of some people that bigger rims ( to and extent im not talking 20's or anything) will actually help the performance and the ca will go quicker

so wich one is true i want rims but i dont want to spend big dollars and sacrifice and speed

gotta hold my reputation against there SSS pulsars in my area

if i go bigger will i start losing

cheers guys any info will be good

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok then so i got 2 opinions totally the opposite of each other

actually ill have more grip cus the tyres will be wider

also why does bigger rims say 18's compared to 16's make your car slower

ok well there speedy lite 7's in 18s ITHINK there 8kg wish is lighter than our standard rims

i could be wrong

i just dont understand that if the 16 and the 18 is exactly the same weight why does the 18 make your car slower

and if the 18s being lighter than the 16's would 18's still be slower than stock 16's

the lower profile tyres will be "harder" then a large profile tyres this will mean they wont grip to the road as well, and without going into the physics larger rims are harder to spin then smaller ones, its just the way it is

...why do the WRC cars use massive diameter rims with really low profile tyres on the tarmac stages?

...why do touring cars also use large diameter wheels with small profile tyres?

If a larger sidewall equaled more grip, do you think the top classes in motorsport would use a larger sidewalled tyre ;)

The reason most "normal" people go for a smaller diameter wheel is the performance rubber is cheaper in the smaller diameters with larger sidewalls.

so rollamods your saying that by me getting light weight 18s with low prfiles with some sticky tyres

i will get better performance than our stock 16's

and if the lite7s are 8kg is that lighter then the stock stivo 16s

so rollamods your saying that by me getting light weight 18s with low prfiles with some sticky tyres

i will get better performance than our stock 16's

and if the lite7s are 8kg is that lighter then the stock stivo 16s

Weigh your stock rims and tyres, then weigh the new set aswell.

ps, a true high performance 18" low profile tyre costs a LOT and wears very quickly.

The michellin's on my WRX were over $400ea, they were fairly grippy, but not the top of the range.

Dont even think about the cheaper falken, nankang's etc etc if you want grip.

evl_50a dude... this is simple physics... torque is a measure force in ability to turn, and in launching, you have rubber flex to convert that torque to the rubber then to the ground.... hence bigger the wheels the thinner the rubber, hence more direct force to the ground will almost no rubber flex... and hence the reason why rubber on larger wheels run out faster...

you don't see any drag car running low profile tyres now do you?!

in terms of performce... off the mark you'll loose... but around the corner you'll probably do ok if you have good rubber, because for the same reason! you have less side wall roll on the tyre, hence you'll be able to "feel" everything... but more stress on your suspension...

have a think about it... i've owned 15s, 16s, and 17s... personally i think 16s are ideal for our car...

i'm not asking for any agreement here... but just by chance... the TRD Runx run 16s too... gee... makes you wonder why doesn't it?

why don't you go and borrow some and try both 16 and 18... then see for youself...

otherwise it'll be like trying to explain sex to a virgin!

;)

peace

evl_50a dude... this is simple physics... torque is a measure force in ability to turn, and in launching, you have rubber flex to convert that torque to the rubber then to the ground.... hence bigger the wheels the thinner the rubber, hence more direct force to the ground will almost no rubber flex... and hence the reason why rubber on larger wheels run out faster...

you don't see any drag car running low profile tyres now do you?!

in terms of performce... off the mark you'll loose... but around the corner you'll probably do ok if you have good rubber, because for the same reason! you have less side wall roll on the tyre, hence you'll be able to "feel" everything... but more stress on your suspension...

have a think about it... i've owned 15s, 16s, and 17s... personally i think 16s are ideal for our car...

i'm not asking for any agreement here... but just by chance... the TRD Runx run 16s too... gee... makes you wonder why doesn't it?

why don't you go and borrow some and try both 16 and 18... then see for youself...

otherwise it'll be like trying to explain sex to a virgin!

;)

peace

The C-One RunX runs 17s on their car though, but i personally feel that if you want good balance and don't want to spend much but spend more on better tyres then go 16s like what i did. I got quoted 17 inch tyres and they are much dearer than 16s if u compare the same tyre. Save the money for lowering :P

there are many factors affecting your performance from wheel and tyre sizes. rim width, rim height, actual contact patch, sidewall profile, slip angles etc.

rim width

if u have a 16x7 and a 16x6.5, both will be able to use the same size rubber on a corolla, ie 205/50r16.

but there is a difference in feel. the 7" wheel will give u better feedback and a little less roll because the same size tyre is stretched across the rim a little bit more and is also less likely to roll off the rim under extreme cornering.

rim height

if u run a 17x7 wheel on a corolla. here are the things against you:

rim weight

performance tyre availability in the 45/40 series profile tyres

215/45r17 is a very good size to buy performance 17" tyres.

215/45r17 is also the best fit for rolling diameter but sadly they rub on most zz corollas.

contact patch

sometimes, having the widest tyre isn't really helping the contact patch. coz the weight of your car remains the same and that the overall contact area and the shape may not be optimal. coz then it affects your tyre slip angles. it's also another reason y ppl lower tyre pressures at the drags so that when the tyre runs more deflated, there is a bigger contact patch overall. it mainly helps at the launches but increases rolling resistance near the end. if u have a higher profile tyre with softer sidewalls, this deflated balloon effect is amplified in comparison to a stiff 35/40series profile tyre that doesn't have that much rubber to displace around anyway.

sidewall profile

the tyre itself is an undamped spring. tyre pressure and the stiffness of the sidewalls determine to quite an extent how much grip u would have under different circumstances and how the car behaves. racing tyres, semi-slicks, and ultra high performance road tyres incorporate stronger reinforced steel belts in the sidewalls to reduce the flex that is found on your usual garden variety tyre. so if u have a 205/50r16 with very very stiff sidewalls, u could still experience a very crashy and stiff but very responsive, agile ride compared with say 215/40r17s. u would benefit from the better compound that is available in that size. but then u would lose out in the pimp factor having only 16s

slip angles

this is angle between the direction of the tyre and the tangent of the curve. it's where the wheel and the rest of the tyre, not in contact with the road, is pointed, in comparison to where the contact patch is pointed. tread patterns play an important part in this as well as contact surface area and compound material.

so to answer your question evl50a, 18s WILL slow your car down in more ways than some. overall weight is one thing. it's also that being 18s, there is more mass on the outter circumference making it harder for the wheel to turn. if u're gonna be seriously hunting SSS, i would just get 16x7 wheels. 17x7 is a decent compromise tho. once u've tried 16x7 with sticky tyres, u might want to reconsider pimpiness or gripiness. but if u are going to compare the 18s with the stock 16s with stock tyres, then obviously the 18s are going to be a little bit better.

i'll shuddup now.

PS:. i was very tempted to remove every full-stop and comma to produce an evl50a special edition :lol::lol: :P

well for starters if you did take out all the commas i can honestly tell you i would have had no trouble reading that

besides i did notice you used some of them in the wrong spots anyways thats not the point to this topic

and as for all the technical stuff it was a really good read and thanks for the info honestly

BUT i am comparing the STOCK stivo rims against LIGHTWEIGHT 18's i wanna know having lightweight 18's against stock stivo rims will that slow me down in a drag race situation

im not overly worried about maximum cornering ability cus when i get it lowered with front and rear struts and sway bars its gonna turn better either way compared to my current suspension

Edited by evl_50a

okok i completely understand what your all saying

BUT

no one is listening or reading properly

i am comparing STOCK STOCK STOCK sportivo rims and tyres

AGAINST

LIGHTWEIGHT 18's with lets say half decent tyres

in a drag race situation will the lightweights slow me down against the STOCK rims and tyres

dont worry about money or bang for buck or any of that stuff

look im sorry im not being rude but no body is answering my queston you are all comparing performance tyres on 16s against performance tyres on 18s

all i want is STOCK verses lightweight 18s with half decent tyres

cheers guys

( just like to say the info has been good cus its helping me understand a little more about performance tyres but thats not the point to this topic)

it's not just the weight of the wheel + tyre but also the distribution of the weight.

for instance for a 16 inch rim you have fairly even disribution of the mass but for an 18 inch with a lower profile tyre the distribution is concentrated on the edge of the rotating mass... ie more mass to rotate from a smaller area, hence why take-offs are slower with larger wheels.

Stock 16s will be quicker in a drag. I know that from experience, also take into account the 195 width, makes it easier to chirpy and that's all u need for landing LIFT 1-2-3 easier. The Bridgestone Turanzas are also pretty soft tyres. But they look horrible because they are so skinny :P

okok  i completely understand what your all saying

BUT

no one is listening or reading properly

i am comparing STOCK        STOCK        STOCK sportivo rims and tyres

AGAINST

LIGHTWEIGHT 18's with lets say half decent tyres

in a drag race situation will the lightweights slow me down against the STOCK rims and tyres

dont worry about money or bang for buck or any of that stuff

look im sorry im not being rude but no body is answering my queston you are all comparing performance tyres on 16s against performance tyres on 18s

all i want is STOCK verses lightweight 18s with half decent tyres

cheers guys

( just like to say the info has been good cus its helping me understand a little more about performance tyres but thats not the point to this topic)

show me some good performance tyres on 18s that u can legally fit on the corolla. your lightweight 18s would probably weigh just as much as the stock 16s. if u really want to do some proper drag racing, use 15s :P

so ive got pretty much every SSS pulsar ive seen in my area tamed under my belt

turbo and non turbo

that was when i had no zorst too HEHEHE

but if i get 18's lightweight or not theres a good chance i would start losing a few of them

cus the turbo runs were awefully close i sometimes only had a bonnet length ahead of them

hmmm that sucks so bad cus 18s look awesome on our cars

gees decisions decisions

i apreciate the info guys

sorry for being a bit impatient before i was just heaps stressed and tired last night

cheers guys

yeah probably hahaha

gees why cant this be easier i want the big ***** sexy rims but i dont wanna sacrifice any straight line performnce

this is so hard lol

maybe i might go for some light weight 17's with some good tyres

meet in the middle

what you you all think about that decision

ill even consider lgiht wieght 16's with wide tyres cus our tyres look disgusting LOL

yeah probably hahaha

gees why cant this be easier i want the big ***** sexy rims but i dont wanna sacrifice any straight line performnce

this is so hard lol

maybe i might go for some light weight 17's with some good tyres

meet in the middle

what you you all think about that decision

ill even consider lgiht wieght 16's with wide tyres cus our tyres look disgusting LOL

We just came back from Wakefield park and was quite surprised at how the Bridgestone Turanzas held its own on a dry track. It is a fairly soft tyre, grips quite well actually but noisy when pushed. It also has a softer sidewall compared to other sports tyres like the Bridgestone G3 which should also grip better and priced quite close to the Turanzas. However do remember the suspension is equally important if you want to utilise the better tyres.

yeah i know they stock wheels are quite grippy as i live in glenmore park

and there is no such thing as a straight street here

lol me and my mates call the main road the glenmore park raceway

some of you guys would really love to live here

BUT so many times i put my foot down here and i just keep going straight so they arent wide and grippy enough for me LOL

as for lowering im getting lowered springs

front and rear struts and rear sway bar

so hopefull with that setup it should handle and grip reasonably a bit more

its just the rims im unsure about