Is it true

justin_es

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17's are still a comprimise, as rolling inertia will be larger, however you will most probably have 0.5-1" fatter tyres which does mean more grip.

idealistically, i'd get lightweight 16"x7-7.5" wheels with semislicks :D

and no, dont do springs, unless your lowering totally for looks. get coilovers.

yeah maybe i will go some lightweight 16s with some sticky rubber

as for lowering he car im not keen on spending 3 grand on coil overs

so im sure lowered springs will make a slight difference and ofcourse its for looks too

ill eventually get shocks to go with it when needed

hey i would just like to point out that

the 3 fastest cars on tocau that i know of

are all running 17's and that includes our tocau current record holder screaminrolla sooooo?????

whats going on there

do you really think getting 16s they would go even faster again maybe he should try it hey might beat the 14.8 mark

hmm ok fair enoough anyways i found rims i like there LENSOS called AGS abd they dont come any smaler than 17s so im hoping there light wieght otherwise i cant ge them

actually probably not cus i looked and they dont come in 16's haha

ive looked everywhere guys where do i find a set of decent looking lightweight 16 inch rims

GEES :angry:

i can get the lite 7s in 17s and i think there like 8 or 9kg or something thats in 18s though not cetain about 17s

haha i think i need more sleep i get so frustrated so easily and quickly lately haha

cheers guys

Weigh your stock rims and tyres, then weigh the new set aswell.

ps, a true high performance 18" low profile tyre costs a LOT and wears very quickly.

The michellin's on my WRX were over $400ea, they were fairly grippy, but not the top of the range.

Dont even think about the cheaper falken, nankang's etc etc if you want grip.

Suspension geometry

with a sidewall of that size camber differences are very unforgiving, so for performance running, you need the camber and castor set up perfectly, or else the tyre wear will be very inconsistant.

Justin, these were the ONLY light weight 16 inch wheels I could find that I liked at a cheap price. Most of the Japanese names have light weight 16" rims that you may be able to find at a good price 2nd hand, but expect to pay big $$$ for them new. I'd personally suggest that you get light weight 17's for your car as they are comparible in performance to the 16's and look better (I'm regretting actually not getting the 17's of my design). I can recommend the Speedy Lite 7's in 17"... I've always liked them but chose to go 16" in the end. I haven't seen anyone get chrome lite 7s, but they would look HOT on your white car, but would be hard to keep the brake dust off of... Black would be the other choice!!!

hmmm

so you saying that light weight 17s are just as good as a set of light weight 16s in speed and performance

do you know how much the speedy lite 7s whey i did know but i cant seem to find where i saw the info from

oh also what is THESE or you dont wanna tell me what they are lol

cheers mate

Edited by evl_50a

My rims are called 'StarCorp Racing lite 5s', they are made in China, and bought from Tempe Tyres and weigh about 6kgs... no secret man, it's all in the garage section ;)

The 1st time I was looking to upgrade my rims (before I got the CAI and CES) I saw them and fell in love with the look then and there, but they were only available in 5x100 / 5x114.5 stud pattern at the time :(

Glad I waited now :D

hmmm yeah i just saw them on the tempe website there ad then

do you know anything about the konig unknowns

they claim to be light weight rims but they look rediculously heavy lol

the ones with black inside and polished outside i reckon it would look hot on my car

as for chrome on white im not a major fan of that mixture to tell you the truth

ok sweet where did you find that out at

gees deciions decisions there are a set of rims called M126 from g max they look pretty sweet but they come in either white or dark black for our car

i really wanted like a grey or a not so dark black( if you understand) just like the black lite7s

i didnt think light wheels would be this hard to find

OK everyone lets talk reality here.

For those of you worried about the slight performance disadvantage of 18" rims, maybe you all should be driving something thats not a Corolla.

A Corolla Sportivo is not a track or strip weapon without some fairly costly modifications all round.

They are a road car designed to give the driver the option of a spirited drive, should they desire to do so.

For day to day use and the odd few squirts up to 8000rpm the 18's are fine.

I've noticed very little loss at launch and can still land 1-2-3 lift.

evl_50a - If you like the 18's, go with them! I havent seen a set on a Corolla yet that looked bad. However, if your trying to shave tenths off your quarter mile times, have a think about the cash your going to be forking out for wear and tear and general abuse to the car. You'll be spending alot more on that than the extra cost 18" tyres will demmand!

Final note - no offence intended to any of you guys out there with earlier opinions, respect to you guys running your cars round the tracks and down the quarters! But really how long are you going to be able to use them for the daily commute if they're out being thrashed every weekend?

Final note - no offence intended to any of you guys out there with earlier opinions, respect to you guys running your cars round the tracks and down the quarters! But really how long are you going to be able to use them for the daily commute if they're out being thrashed every weekend?

that's y u upgrade parts. and if u do go to the track, u have to be prepared for it to break. and then deal with it, rather than having a whinge about worrying wat if this breaks, or that, or the other.

usually the advice is, if u're worried about it breaking and not having the resources to fix it if it does, then dun go to the track or the strip or drive like a maniac and go 10/10ths on the mountain roads.

Edited by shaohaok

dats rite.

Bigger is not always meant better. Some car, with bigger rims is to utilise the width available in that size. Powerful car such as supra won't suffer with 18, infact it helps it corners better with the available width of big size rims.

Justin id say go with lightweight 17s. Both looks and performance.

Its affectively in between 16s and 18s, get the best of both worlds.

16s rims just will end up looking pretty small in the end. Cars with 18s pull up beside yours and will make your 16s look like 13s hehehe.

205/45R17 tyres!

• 3 weeks later...