New to forums, new to Corolla Sportivo

aaron125

Hi everyone. These forums seems to have a really nice feel about it. A few others I've been reading, people justy go on and on insulting each other and saying who's got the longest shlong. But these ones seem much more informative and very helpful, just as (all) forums should be.

So about 4 months ago a mate was driving my car, a silver 99 Corolla 'granny-mobile' Conquest (with me asleep in the front passenger seat) and managed to write the thing off for me(!!). What a nice guy, hey, ain't that what friends are for?

Anyway, after a 4 month search, I'd narrowed the choices down to either a Corolla Sportivo or Mazda 2 SP23. Thankfully, I ended up buying a Sportivo and have been loving it since, even if it is getting a little long in the tooth, it's a 2003 model with 180k on the car/engine but a new(ish) gearbox that's only done 66k. I'm loving this thing so far, that's for sure.

Because the synchros are nearly dead/non-existant on 2nd gear, the seller gave me $2000 off and I managed to get the box for $1250 and one of my closest friends is a mechanic and owns his own workshop, including dyno and a few other goodies. Oh, and just a month or 2 before the guy sold the car/started advertising it, about 5 or 6 cars in his street and the surrounding streets all had their wheels and tires stolen and were left on bricks. Bonus for me!! He had all 5 rims replaced with brand-new genuine Sportivo rims and had all 5 fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. I know they certainly aren't the best rubber money can buy but I sure ain't gonna knock them back when they're thrown in for free.

I just can't wait to lower the car and get some new shocks and perhaps a front strut brace and cold/ram air intake and then I can start to see what these little rockets can do. Sure do enjoy the sound of the engine once it really gets on the cam, after about 6000rpm (and the intake sounds real nice too). Not 100% sure, but I think the previous owner might have installed a cat-back exhaust/muffler but I'm not exactly sure as I still haven't seen what a completely stock Corolla Sportivo comes with. But my mechanic friend thinks it's a little too loud and sounds WAY too nice (has a really beautiful note and almost zero droning) to be stock.

Do any of you guys from Melbourne ever go for a drive up to Reefton Spur? I used to go there 2-3 times/month when I used to ride a bike on public Melbourne roads (glad those days are over, only ever get on a bike when I'm at a track now. But thankfully never had any serious mishaps before I retired from riding motorbikes on public roads. I'd definitely be up for re-visiting that incredible stretch of tarmac sometime soon. When I used to go there, 10-15 years ago, it was literally as smooth as any racetrack I've been on, and definitely smoother than some tracks which shall remain nameless. I sure hope it's still just as smooth and hasn't turned to crap, like the Black Spur always used to be, potholes everywhere and caravans galore.

Guess you're all kinda bored now (if anyone bothered even reading this far) so I'll finish up now and say I can't wait to finally put the car on my friend's dyno and see just how well the engine's holding up. My mate the mechanic thinks it definitely accelerates and feels like a car specced with a 141kW engine, so hopefully someone's been taking care of it all these years and it's still putting out some decent numbers (fingers x'd, wish me luck).

Come to the winton end of month meet. Maybe u can put that thing on the track where it belongs too :P

Im not into the meets that much as before now but the new group are a friendly crew. Just watch out for a lanky dude in a red corolla. He just doesnt look when he goes sideways :P

Also a honkie dude that drives a freaken loud a$$ honderp. ;)