Issue with squeal coming from engine area

the drake

Hey guys,

Recently noticed squeal coming from engine area, and initially thought it was potentially the belt.

Took the car in last week to have it checked out, and they said the serpatine belt measured fine and looked ok. So I did a bit of research and came across a few threads on this forum about belt tensioner on the forums(http://au.toyotaowne...0k/page__st__15) , so told them to check the tensioner pulley and idler pully.

They noticed a bit of vertical play on the tensioner, so I asked them to look into replace the tensioner, and also the idler pully, thinking the bearings were on the way out.

Anyways, that didn't fix the problem and the squeal is still there - as per below youtube link.

I'm starting to think it is the alternator bearings, any thoughts/advice?

Just to add:

- Noise only at low speeds (<40km/h)

- Noise evidently loud only when in D, R (Park, Neutral noise is not as audible)

- Noise regardless air con off/on

- Vehicle has done around 98,000 km

Thanks in advance...

TheDrake

Edited by the drake

Exact same issue covered in a fairly recent thread;

Turns out the bloke got the alternator replaced under mechanical warranty. But It was indeed as you said the alternator bearings...

If you've got warranty on it still you should be sweet, otherwise you could be in for a costly experience...

Having said that, mate of mine has the same issue with his SX6, hasnt given him any grief though apart from making that annoying noise

A quick & easy test to eliminate the belt is to grab a cheap white candle, or a bar of that yellow soap, or a bottle of graphite powder dry lube, and apply it to the ridged side.

If it's glazing on the belt or on a pulley, or a pulley out of alignment, this will stop the noise (Temporarily as I've found for my own) whereas no change at all will indicate something else.

I did also find that gently pushing the belt a little to one side or the other whilst it was running (Using something firm an non-grabbable) altered my own noise, which suggests I have a pulley slightly misaligned somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update guys.

Had toyota dealership look at it this time, and they replaced the alternator pulley (RRP $180) and not the whole alternator (RRP $750). The engine area is back to its quiet usual self now and no more squeal.

They also quoted me 1 hour labour to replace this, however it took them around 6 hours ...but they still honoured me the quoted job...winning!

It does pay to check whether it is the the pulley or bearing itself..but i guess the above mentioned thread the guys car was under warranty so it would be worth just replacing the whole alternator.