Stereo upgrade, subwoofer

Hi, I have a 2007 Presara and I am thinking about upgrading the stereo system as the rear speakers are very distorted when I start to turn the volume up around 35, I'm so confused about stereo systems tho, I want aux/USB connectivity, better bass response and abit more clarity, I was thinking of only installing a small sub to begin with as I don't have too much money to spend at this moment but I've heard I would need an amp for this, not sure what amps exactly do and how expensive they are but what are your opinions on this matter?

Cheers

Hey, I've done a full system upgrade in my car.

firstly, if you want better sound, upgrade the head unit. you can find a whole thread about an aftermarket head unit on ebay on this forum. otherwise you can buy a headunit from a car audio store. depending on your budget you can go a single din or double din, singles being often cheaper. single being headunits usually only having a small screen. doubles most likely being full audio visual units.

next, you'll want to consider speakers. higher quality speakers = better sound (in most cases). 6.5" component or coaxials in the front doors, and 6x9" in the rear for your bassy notes. however keep in mind that more powerful speakers will require a 4 channel amp, so theres more money from your pocket. most lower end speakers will run without an amp, and run off the head unit instead.

finally, the sub. no matter what sub you get, you'll have to run an amp. so look around carefully. cheaper subs can cost around 150$-200$. but then take into account an amp to run it which can cost around 150$-300$.

you can easily get a double din headunit and a set of 4 speakers for ~800$, but add in the sub/subs and you'll be pushing the 1000$ mark.

if you want to know more, PM me and i can help.

Edited by xCalibur_

Hey, I've done a full system upgrade in my car.

firstly, if you want better sound, upgrade the head unit. you can find a whole thread about an aftermarket head unit on ebay on this forum. otherwise you can buy a headunit from a car audio store. depending on your budget you can go a single din or double din, singles being often cheaper. single being headunits usually only having a small screen. doubles most likely being full audio visual units.

next, you'll want to consider speakers. higher quality speakers = better sound (in most cases). 6.5" component or coaxials in the front doors, and 6x9" in the rear for your bassy notes. however keep in mind that more powerful speakers will require a 4 channel amp, so theres more money from your pocket. most lower end speakers will run without an amp, and run off the head unit instead.

finally, the sub. no matter what sub you get, you'll have to run an amp. so look around carefully. cheaper subs can cost around 150$-200$. but then take into account an amp to run it which can cost around 150$-300$.

you can easily get a double din headunit and a set of 4 speakers for ~800$, but add in the sub/subs and you'll be pushing the 1000$ mark.

if you want to know more, PM me and i can help.

Thankyou very much for that :) very informative, I think if I'm going to replace the back speakers I might as well put in a decent amp, front tweeters, new speakers and a sub, thanks again

if you want some suggestions on what to buy, i recommend the following:

Alpine Type S 6x9" for the rear

Alpine Type S 6.5" for the front (coaxial if you dont want to run tweeters to the dash, and component if you do) recommending putting the effort in for the component

~300$-400$

if you're willing to, get a 4 channel amp to increase the quality of the speakers

~350$

any sort of mid - high end headunit, preferably double din to fill the space better, lower end double dins can be used due to budget

~250$-700$

also keep in mind the cost of facia kits and wiring harness

~150$

Depending on budget any type of Kicker sub with matching amp

or

Alpine Type S 10" or 12" with matching amp

~300$-500$

finally wiring, 4 gauge power kits

~120$-150$

i'm a big fan of Alpine and Kicker gear. their stuff is amazing for the price.

i've attached two diagrams of possible system solutions which i had made for a friend last year

i suggest if you're budget is smaller to use this setup

post-22021-0-19332100-1358957023_thumb.j

or this if you've got the money

post-22021-0-22730500-1358957034_thumb.j

Wow, this is quite expensive, thankyou I have heard the alpine systems are really good but I was just wondering am I able to keep the standard head unit as it is the say nav type in the Presara model? And just run an amp to power the new speakers to it? Just can't afford a new head unit is all?

yeah definitely you can. it will give you slightly better sound. that was how i was running my first system. just two amps and and a sub. but if you do that, you'll have to make sure you dont get an amp thats too powerful or you'll blow the stock speakers. but if you're putting aftermarket ones then thats fine.

still though, with the system that i was recommending to you, it would have cost you ~1200$, (thats headunit, 4 speakers, mono amp and sub,) and seeing as you dont want a headunit, take off ~250$ then add ~350$ for the 4 channel amp, so you may be spending more. (4 speakers, 4 channel amp, mono amp, sub)

honestly IMO, save your money and do it right the first time. save up to get speakers, 4 channel amp, mono amp and sub. then eventually move onto saving for a proper good AV + nav headunit to replace the stock unit. trust me, replacing the headunit makes MOST of the difference. having the larger EQ options is a big plus.

actually just thinking, presaras had the upgraded JBL or whatever system didn't they ? cos if so, i believe they had an amp already in the car

Yea they are JBL, that's what I mean, the sound is actually pretty damn good, just sort of needs a but more of a punch?

Edited by Mallabullaergo

thought so, but what i'm curious about is that i'm pretty sure the JBL system has an amp under one of the seats, so putting in a 4 channel amp may be odd. not sure if you can keep the JBL amp, then run into a second amp .. (kind of stupid sounding i know) .. or completely bypass it. so now i'm hoping any of the guys on here with a presara with audio upgrades can enlighten me on what they've done

Aw yea I know what you mean know, well mine has a 6 speaker system and I know that the 2009 facelift models have a 10 speaker system so perhaps they have the same amp? Would it be possible to just wire a sub into the JBL's amp?

very very unlikely to do that. the JBL amp would most definitely be a 4 channel amp. subs need whats called a "monoblock" amp, which is essentially a single channel amp dedicated to subs. subs require larger amounts of power, for example, one of the subs in my car needs 600watts rms, whereas one of my speakers needs only 110watts rms. so to put it simply, if you connect an amp that puts out 100 watts to a sub that requires 600watts, you'll stress the hell out of the amp and damage it, as its trying to put 6 times the power out.

so what i'm saying is, the JBL amp may only put out between 20-80watts (i'm only guessing), and subs can start as low as 150watts rms.

also, the amp being a 4 channel, all four channels will be occupied with the speakers. and connecting more speakers to one channel brings up more things about Ohms resistance, but thats a story for another day ;P

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, Jagmeet said:

I have got Aurion zr6. Can somebody give me an idea if there is any chance to upgrade the sound system with harman kardon, bose, bang & olufson ??

yes there is,  if you got the funds for them