07 Camry Melting Dash

Rich34

A dash mat sticks to it, and tears the entire top layer of the dashboard off. The whole thing disintegrates over a short time once it starts to break down. The smell of the fumes was awful, and commented upon by passengers who were not used to them. For anyone who has this legitimate problem - it eventually does become dangerous, the glare rendering the car not roadworthy - we have been successful, and TMCA are now replacing the dashboards free of charge because it is a manufacturing defect. Most of us have been given a loan car in the interim. Faith restored in Toyota, I have been able to have my 2008 repaired, sell it, and purchase a 2014 Aurion. Prior to repair, no one would have bought it, and I could not obtain a safety certificate. Best wishes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fab result Helen, well done.

Amazing what happens when a bunch of people collaborate and get the media involved - big corporates go to water and do what they morally should have done in the first place. It's not like they can't afford to fix their mistake (compared to what VW are now up for as a result of being entirely deceptive fools, it is a drop in the ocean - just a shame we bought a Jetta a week before the scandal broke - albiet petrol - because the cost of spares may now skyrocket as they try to re-coup their fines).

Those melting dash pics are incredible - how the Hell could they try and wash their hands of that mess?

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

I also have the same issue with a Camry 2006 Ateva AC40 model. Kept garaged most of the time. First crack appeared 12 months ago. Getting worse over time. Disappointed. Won't automatically purchase another Toyota.

• 3 months later...

Grand Motors are looking to replace any sticky dash that is in the 10 year old period.

book it in, it gets replaced free of charge, and the new one looks great.

this is happening on many Toyota models, not just Camry and Aurion!!! It also affects Lexus models!!!

go see your dealer asap!!!

• 1 month later...

So, just asking, is this problem only with the 40 series? Will it appears in the 50 series?

btw, HelenC, real hero. She has said one thing (why no dash mat) many many times to different people in this single one thread 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, PengNZ said:

So, just asking, is this problem only with the 40 series? Will it appears in the 50 series?

btw, HelenC, real hero. She has said one thing (why no dash mat) many many times to different people in this single one thread 😂😂😂

At this stage, only the 40 series.

The dash mat sticks the the dash and makes it far worse. It also covers up a problem, instead of letting Toyota fixing it.

By the way,  we had to extend the page because it is also happening in some Mazdas as well as Toyota and Lexus.  On a happy note, my 2014 Aurion dash is still perfect after three years - more than I could say for my 2008.  It had started melting.  Cheers, All.

Hi All,

wow I didn’t realise how many people had the same issue.  To Toyota I actually use my cars significantly and purchase new vehicles every 2 to 3 years.  Since trading my Camry in I have spent in excess of $100,000 on 3 new vehicles (non Toyota).  I have never been treated by a motor vehicle company as poorly as Toyota treated me.

I’m glad to see that after a lot of fighting you have decided to fix the faulty dashes.  I wonder how much money you lost by not being responsive to your clients over this issue. In my view short sightedness 

Rich34

• 10 months later...
On 14/02/2013 at 7:56 PM, Rich34 said:

Recently I was cleanning the windscreen of my 07 Camry and by accident found that my thumb nail had gone through the dash, leaving a big deep scar in it. On closer inspection I found that the dash was melting so to speak and was sticky / tacky to touch between the windsreen and the steering wheel. The dash now has become very shiny in appearance where this has happened and the dust is now a permanent fixture of the dash, as it has sunk into the dash.

Has anyone else seen this before?

I have seen numerous threads overseas about this but nothing in Australia.

One should check this when the vehicle is out in the sun and to be careful when cleanning your dash.

I have this exact same problem, I have had a dash mat the whole life of the car, there is something sticky like glue on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2018 at 2:26 PM, Jarod said:

I have this exact same problem, I have had a dash mat the whole life of the car, there is something sticky like glue on it.

I just bought an 07 Atevo the other day, I have just re-located to WA. The car is in amazing condition externally and internally, though it has a dash mat on it I didn't think of it but after buying it, I investigated the dash closer to see it is a complete sticky mess and so easy to damage, at first I figured it was residue from the underside of the dash mat but I was very wrong granted it is second hand, I still want to repair it some how.

Being that I am the second possibly third owner and outside of any warranty and the 10 year defect cut off period, I guess my only options are just leave it with a dash mat (yuck), re-skin the dash via an auto trimmer or source a wrecker and purchase an almost new looking dash to pay a fitter to put it in for me.

What success have you had?

• 6 months later...

Hi

We have a 2017 Altise and after a day parked in the Sun we found a melted patch on the dash.   Toyota have inspected the car and say that it is caused by an environmental factor and not under warranty. The only environmental factors anywhere near the dash, have been the Sun and car detailing two months prior to the problem arising.  We have obtained legal advice about how to proceed: Complaint to ACCC about the general issue and individual action at VCAT to argue that the product, car dashboard in this case is not suitable for purpose as detailed within the Australian Consumer Law. We have commenced these actions, because even if  we use a dash cover,  the problem is still there and will affect the cars resale value. Aside from this, other parts of the interior are made from the same material and could possibly deteriorate in a similar way.  Murray. Point Cook.

Edited by Muzza Murray
Repeated word

Great too hear your not just accepting what is being said to you by Toyota Murray..as in most cases it can come down to the dealer your with as to how helpful they are..as you will read from many many treads on here about melting dash issues with Aurion's..it has been a big issue and many have fought and won with Toyota over the years..Good on you fighting for your rights..it shows others who are on the edge with taking on a BIG company that if you show your determined and wont just back down you have a very good chance of things happening fast.

Please keep us informed as to how things progress, we are with you

KAA

• 1 month later...

Just wondering whether there had been any progress on this problem. My wife has an 07 Aurion - top of the range car with a dash so sticky and shiny it's a poor representation of the brand. Not what one expects from Toyota. 

Hi Craig, Have you approached Toyota with the dash issue??... as you will read from the many threads posted on here a lot have experienced the same issue with melting dash's and many have had the issue resolved by Toyota at no expense too them..worth you spending the time reading the treads on here already about he issue ..I would then suggest a drive to you Local dealership and see if they are prepared to give you any assistance..some are great some not so.

If not ....then don't leave it there..you do have rights as you will read in the treads..Keep us updated as too the outcome

Good Luck

KAA

Craig, I think that you will find that because your 07 Aurion is more than 10 years old that Toyota Australia will not accept a claim to replace the dash. However, your situation may be treated differently particularly if this dash issue had previously been reported for your vehicle by previous owner/s.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have a 2008 Aurion. The "melting dash" has been getting progressively bad over the years, but has now reached the point where the reflected glare from the sticky glue when driving at night is a serious distraction and the slightest touch will leave an indentation. It's a great fly trap, though! (problem is that you cant get the little critters off 🙂

Was there ever any resolution with Toyota. I would have thought this would have been a recall matter . . . .

• 6 months later...

Hi there are many many threads on here about the melting dash issue, read those and you will see most have gone back to Toyota and had success and some none

My advise is read about it on here first then approach your Toyota Dealer about the matter. I would keep notes of your dealings with them so you have back up evidence as to what is happening and what has been said to you.

Good Luck

KAA

• 2 years later...

Hi All, I have just found this site and wish I had found it earlier. My Altise is a 2007 model and I have had a dash mate AND windscreen cover on the car since I bought it. I 've had it for 9 yrs and love it. I noticed the sticky dash starting and managed to get it clean but now more of it has occurred. Has anyone  in the past couple of years had any luck getting Toyota to replace their dash? I live in Coffs Harbour NSW and my local dealer  is not very well respected. I haven't been to them with this issue, hence why I ask about replacements in the past few years. Are they still doing it? Appreciate any responses.

Toni.