My weapon against dangerous drivers.

nzzr6

Not a bad idea, though I'm guessing you need to go through and delete a whole lot of video yourself?

I like the thought of those cameras that keep the last ten minute of footage, unless a collision is sensed, and I'm guessing some of them come with a button so you can tell it to do the same for near misses.

At least with a gopro, if someone attacks you, you can use it as a weapon _and_ watch the footage from that angle again later :P

Not a bad idea, though I'm guessing you need to go through and delete a whole lot of video yourself?

I like the thought of those cameras that keep the last ten minute of footage, unless a collision is sensed, and I'm guessing some of them come with a button so you can tell it to do the same for near misses.

At least with a gopro, if someone attacks you, you can use it as a weapon _and_ watch the footage from that angle again later :P

Quite true, the GoPro weighs a lot when its enclosed in its waterproof case :P

Its not too much hassle. Copying files to another drive obviously takes longer than simply deleting them. If there is nothing worth keeping after i get home and connect up to my computer, I just delete it. Not much point keeping it. It has a 16GB card which is good for about 2.5 hours worth of 1080p video. Though in future I might get an external drive to store it all on. Yes you can get cameras that record the date/time, sense collisions etc, but until then the GoPro is good enough :)

Whilst the GoPro is a good camera, usage as an "accident camera" is not really ideal. Firstly in the supplied case, you can not connect the charger. Secondly, even though you can set it to "Looping Video" mode, it will create a new file every time you stop it meaning you will need to keep clearing the memory. Last but not least, you need to manually start and stop recording etc.

A dedicated "accident camera" will automatically turn on and start recording when you turn on the car and will automatically delete old files once the memory card is full. In my opinion, if you want to a camera for the purpose you have there, get yourself a proper unit. Save the GoPro for the fun videos.

I have had car cameras in my cars for almost 2 years.

In my car I have the Blackvue DR500GW WiFi camera - Link, and in the Mrs car she has the BlackVue DR400G-HD - Link

I used to put alot of videos on YT of bad driving, but have been kinda lazy since getting the Aurion.

If you're interested, my YouTube channel is here. Full of videos - Link

My camera uses MicroSD card. At 1080P, on a 32GB card, it records around 17 hours of footage. Once it's full, it starts to record over the first file, then the second, and so on.

Edited by adizz131

Good stuff nzzr6, if this clown hadda clipped you........... and ive seen and recorded that exact same thing happening and passed on the file.

Iv'e posted in the forums before that i run http://www.autoblack...t&product_id=68 the auto black box.

I run it in the iload for work, it has been a godsent. So much so that recently i decided to "hardwire" it to the battery so it remains on ALL THE TIME. The black box uses sooo little power that ive left it on for 4 days without starting the van with no drain on the battery.

Recently i added a rear mount one as well. Call me paranoid, but i have over 40k cash invested in this vehicle.

The camera's also acts as servalence for my home @ night as well, recording anything that comes within range of our home and Aurion while we sleep.

But more to the point they have recorded every incident the past year. EVEN disputing a redlight infringment after being pulled over by cops. Being able to plug the SD card into my ipad to show that the light was indeed ORANGE and not red as i went through.

I can site over 100 different incidents that have happened over the past year that i have referenced back to live recording.

IMO in this day and age, your nut's not to invest in this technology considering it is now so cheap and easy to install.

I got a baseball bat

Editi:

Also don't be tight , fork out some money for some proper and descent cameras.

Those cheapy eBay ones, are crap, very jumpy, not hd as they claim, all this is from experience.

I too might be upgrading to either ones you guys have linked.

Luke how did you hardware it?

Edited by bigVAN

Luke how did you hardware it?

I also hardwired mine using the kit that you can buy - Link

It does what was mentioned above, records when it detects movement. Great surveillance for when you leave your car parked at a shopping centre car park. ;)

This camera has saved me from 1 speeding fine (by proving I was not anywhere near where the fine alleged I was), 1 fail to stop at yellow fine (pulled SD card out and put in my phone, showed police officer on the spot and he agreed I didn't have enough time to stop), and last but not least it proved that I was not at fault for an insurance claim (saving me the $800 excess).

So as you can see, it has well and truly paid itself off!

Also don't be tight , fork out some money for some proper and descent cameras.

Those cheapy eBay ones, are crap, very jumpy, not hd as they claim, all this is from experience.

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by adizz131

800 bux and fines, these units pay for them self in one altercation the best insurance you can get.

i wired mine using a similar female connection , then the wires from that go directly to the battery.

You can if so desired add a small safeguard of a resister to lower v's and a diode to stop reverse voltage voltage spike, which is basically what that unit does there. you can run the diode and resistor on either - or + or even in series to suit your application.

i think the female adaptor was about 4 bux resistor and diode were about 10c each. You could also simply cut the lighter adaptor off when using the resistor and diode and save 4 bux.

Good stuff nzzr6, if this clown hadda clipped you........... and ive seen and recorded that exact same thing happening and passed on the file.

Iv'e posted in the forums before that i run http://www.autoblack...t&product_id=68 the auto black box.

I run it in the iload for work, it has been a godsent. So much so that recently i decided to "hardwire" it to the battery so it remains on ALL THE TIME. The black box uses sooo little power that ive left it on for 4 days without starting the van with no drain on the battery.

Recently i added a rear mount one as well. Call me paranoid, but i have over 40k cash invested in this vehicle.

The camera's also acts as servalence for my home @ night as well, recording anything that comes within range of our home and Aurion while we sleep.

But more to the point they have recorded every incident the past year. EVEN disputing a redlight infringment after being pulled over by cops. Being able to plug the SD card into my ipad to show that the light was indeed ORANGE and not red as i went through.

I can site over 100 different incidents that have happened over the past year that i have referenced back to live recording.

IMO in this day and age, your nut's not to invest in this technology considering it is now so cheap and easy to install.

Yeah, I'm looking to do it like that too, hardwire to the ignition like my DRLs, and have it overwrite itself unless it senses a collision. I passed that video to the NZ Police, so I'll see what becomes of that next week. Probably might not get a response though, its only a community report thing, but it should still give him a nice shock to learn that unfortunately for him the person he decided to pull that stupid stunt on had a dash cam rolling.

Edited by nzzr6

Some dashcams on ebay are pretty good..

i bought one last yeah its mounted at the very top its the size of iphone just a more thick and you can twist the camerea so you can record interior or the road and its FULL HD QUALITY really nice and handy.

Ironically, every time something happens on the road that's interesting i forget my cam at home or i forget to charge it