ATTN Kluger owners: Steering Intermediate Shaft Knocking Noise -

phez

My clunk has stayed away for several thousand k's now. When I checked I was told the part numbers are nearly identical; possibly only the last digit has changed... apparently this caused the confusion with mine when they replaced it the first time round with the new (but original design) shaft. They didn't realize it was the same old design. Second time round it got the new design and the only way to tell them apart (they look the same externally) is via the part number.

Happy with mine thus far.

Hi Matt

Apologies for delay, Got tied up with a bung knee.

The paperwork that I have shows the same part number for my shaft fitted back in August 2013. This was/is supposed to be the 'FIX'.

The old dodgy part number is, I believe, 4522048180

Difference being the last digit. Old has a '0' and new has a '1'

Sadly my Kluger still has intermittent noises. Not sure if it is the steering or something else in the front.

My 'FIX' was installed in August 2013 However, I was recently told by a neighbour with same model Kluger and purchased from same dealer at same time, that the 'FIX' was not available until January 2014. His was replaced in February.

Very sadly Toyota Australia HO is not a company that I would put one cent of trust in. Same goes for the selling dealer, Fergusons Toyota at Hurstville. After being stuffed around by both of these, I now go to Sydney City Toyota, who seem to be up-to-date, with it and willing to go that extra mile. Also to date, all my experiences with Sydney City Toyota have been nothing short of 10/10 and very Professional.

Ah that's good to hear the part they're ordering is correct. Coolies.

Hmm I reckon you should take yours back if the noise has resurfaced. They'll see on the system that you've brought it in before for the fix.

It's amazing how bad the service in one dealer is compared to another not too far away. Same thing happens in Canberra even though they are all owned by one parent company.

Also, the issue with my leather seat is being resolved- they will refit the bottom part of the seat. Which is good because the car only has 24,000kms and it was a Toyota exec who drove it as a demo before me! Really happy with Toyota at the moment, has restored a bit of confidence in them.

It has been back for review twice after the "FIX'. Unfortunately, as the noises are intermittent, it is difficult to pinpoint where it is originating from.

As mentioned previously, I had 3 shafts replaced before 10,000 kms.

My Kluger was most likely a Friday afternoon special, aka a Lemon.

I was a 20 plus year admirer and owner of Toyotas, but, following my experiences with Toyota HO and Fergusons with this Kluger, I would never purchase another Toyota.

Good to see that they came to the party and sorted out your seat.

Sorry to hear you might be driving a lemon. I had the clunk in my steering wheel. Called them to report it and they told me to bring it in. They checked it out. I had to wait a little while but once they received the replacement part they called me to bring in the car. brought the car back and they fixed it.

Edited by neyus

Hi Rene

Good to see yours is fixed.

My new Kluger made noises from the very first day I drove it. I was continually fobbed off by Fergusons Toyota and also Toyota Australia. I even had two of their so called 'Technical Field Advisors' drive the car. I think I have forgotten more about mechanics that these two Cereal Packet Qualified Advisors will ever learn! One of them was downright arrogant and rude. The other just took the obvious company stance.

In the first instance Toyota Australia did not want to know about it. They basically said, "prove to us it is making a noise and we will fix it". Finally the Fergusons Service Manager felt and heard the klunk and they replaced the shaft. This did not fix it and ended up with another two shafts.

Prior to the 10,000 kms Dec 2013, it had spent about 30 days of the road. In the first two years it only travelled 10,000 kms.

Also it is very difficult to sell a car with known faults.

The worst part about it is, that Toyota Japan and Toyota Australia and many Toyota Dealers have been aware of this issue for years. They all put profits before integrity. If they had scruples, they would have advised potential customers that these cars have been built with and are being sold with, a known fault. The evidence is there and it does not lie, that Klugers were built and sold with a 'dodgy' intermediate steering shaft. To me this is totally dishonest. Unfortunately, once you drive a vehicle out of the car yard, you are basically on your own. ACCC do not want to know. The Lemon laws for motor vehicles sold in Australia is virtually non existent.

Obviously if I had been by advised by the salesperson that here could be an issue, then I could have made an informed choice on what car to purchase. I would have most likely purchased a Prado.

I have moved on, however, the whole episode has obviously left a nasty taste in my mouth, and sadly I remain the worst possible advertisement for the Toyota brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Went in for the 30 month service today and mentioned to the dealer that the car is producing a clunking noise when turning left. They said that they would look at it while they did the service. When I went to pick up the car they mentioned that the cause of the clunking noise is the intermediate steering shaft and they need to order it in. It will take about 2 months to get in and they will call me to replace it.

"Happy with that"

• 3 weeks later...

I alerted Toyota Service at Bill Buckle Brookvale approximately 2 years ago about this knocking noise when turning at low speed in my 2007 Kluger - at first they brushed it off as nothing, saying the noise wasn't there when they drove it. Next service I met a lady in the waiting room who had the same car, same problem. Once we got talking the service guy came out and said Toyota were aware of it and that it would be a "recall issue". I waited for a recall notice and didn't get one so called again. Service department said it's not a recall, just a problem they know about and that the intermediate shaft comes from Japan, they couldn't tell me when it would get to Australia, but it would be no cost and just done in the next service. 2 services later and no shaft. I'm 2500k's till my next service so I called to see if the part was in and they said yes, but now they will charge me to fix the problem - $770! They say Toyota have decided to stop fixing the problem for free.

DON'T BUY A TOYOTA - THE SERVICE IS APPALLING!!!!

• Like 1

Hi Ree

I think that what Bill Buckle is telling you is BS. Forget about going to Toyota Australia Customer Service, they are absolutely useless, you would get more sense from a two year old.

Suggest you give the service manager at Sydney City Toyota a call. The part has been available in Australia since late 2013.

From my personal experiences with my Kluger selling dealer 'Fergusons Toyota' and 'Toyota Australia' at Taren Point, I would never purchase another Toyota. They were both totally incompetent and could not give a 'proverbial'.

Try Sydney City as they were very accommodating and understanding to my issue.

John

Oh what a feeling, NOT!

PS: I find it interesting that nobody from Toyota Australia has come onto this thread and explained the TRUTH about the faulty parts that they put into their vehicles. They all seem to be hiding under their desks, avoiding the issue.

• Like 1

Here it is one year later and still no solution. Took our Kluger to Preston Toyota for service and mentioned knock and was quoted $900 for a fix with parts to come from Japan. No offer of a fix but it is a 'known' problem. My Kluger pulls slightly to the left too which started when the knock did. We loved this car but the shine has come off for us now, and particularly about Toyota. We might have to sell and look at something else! Very disappointed!

After emailing my dealership and telling them that they had failed to honour my warranty back when they originally failed to fix it, I eventually was told that Toyota would provide the updated part at no charge "as a gesture of goodwill" and that my dealer would fit it free of charge.

A couple months later and they called me to tell me the part was available, I had it fitted on Wednesday, and the clunk has disappeared. It seems to drive better but that could be psychological.

I'm picking up a new Mazda BT50 next week so it's no longer my problem, but one of my employees wants to buy my Kluger. I hope the fix is permanent for his sake.

Funny that! I was told by Bill Buckle Toyota (where I'd informed them of the knock two years ago) that the part had finally come in and it would cost me $770 + GST to have it fitted. After tearing shreds off the service guy I called Toyota Australia and complained in no uncertain terms. They said they would contact the dealership and get back to me. Within 2 hours the same service guy called and said that although they were under no obligation to fix the car (!!!) they would fit the part as a "gesture of goodwill". Seems to be the new line Toyota are spinning when customers refuse to pay and take the whole sorry story to the media - like I did. DON'T pay for the fix - call the media, call ACCC but don't be ripped off when Toyota should be issuing a recall.

Hi Ree

I think that what Bill Buckle is telling you is BS. Forget about going to Toyota Australia Customer Service, they are absolutely useless, you would get more sense from a two year old.

Suggest you give the service manager at Sydney City Toyota a call. The part has been available in Australia since late 2013.

From my personal experiences with my Kluger selling dealer 'Fergusons Toyota' and 'Toyota Australia' at Taren Point, I would never purchase another Toyota. They were both totally incompetent and could not give a 'proverbial'.

John

Oh what a feeling, NOT!

PS: I find it interesting that nobody from Toyota Australia has come onto this thread and explained the TRUTH about the faulty parts that they put into their vehicles. They all seem to be hiding under their desks, avoiding the issue.

Hi John, see my reply above, car goes in tomorrow - hopefully it will be fixed. Am definitely finding somewhere else to get the car serviced - have lost all faith in Toyota. It's Oh what a feeling alright - a crap feeling!

Ree

I switched over to Sydney City Toyota after being 'shafted' by Fergusons Hurstville. So far all OK with them.

My Kluger is on to its 4th shaft and that was before 10,000 k-lics.

Got a call from Blacktown toyota a month ago and had it changed two weeks ago. Original dealer was Noble toyota and ****** around for 12 months. Kept on writing to some Billie Jean at customer service Toyota Head office. Drives better now with less float on steering.

Hi all

My dealer told me it would cost $808 to fix the knocking - Toyota would not pay - have been following this topic for a while so sent an email to Toyota complaining and got the following response - not sure if it is more stalling - or if we need more people to complain to tray and get the right result....

--------------------
Thank you for your recent email received by the Toyota Customer Experience Centre regarding your 2007 Kluger Steering Knock. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your comments on your Kluger.

This issue has been escalated to Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) in Japan to work on a resolution to this issue.

Once TMC has completed their investigation and have notified Toyota Motor Corporation Australia (TMCA), the Toyota Dealers, via their service departments, will be informed and intern will contact their customers with the relevant information. (There is no time line of the conclusion of TMC investigation).

This noise will not affect the vehicle or safety operation.

Thank you for contacting Toyota and allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Kind regards,

---------------------------------------

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

cheers

Kluger2

Hi Kluger 2

Please go back and read some of my earlier posts.

If in Sydney contact Sydney City Toyota Service dept. If in another state then find out who is the main Toyota Dealer (not a franchise). I think in Melbourne it is Melbourne City Toyota.

Also give the clowns at your dealership a link to this Forum.

My experience with the The Toyota Customer Experience (not) Centre was nothing short of a JOKE - a totally incompetent bunch of 'seat-warming', 'untrained' idiots, who could not give 'a proverbial'.

John

Edited by pinot52

Hi Ree

John

Oh what a feeling, NOT!

Hi John, see my reply above, car goes in tomorrow - hopefully it will be fixed. Am definitely finding somewhere else to get the car serviced - have lost all faith in Toyota. It's Oh what a feeling alright - a crap feeling!

Apparently they've replaced the part - I can't hear the knock but will take it to another garage to have the shaft checked to see if the replacement part has been fitted. I don't trust the Toyota service centre near me and will not be taking it back there for it's usual service from now on.

Ask for the number of the part they reckon they fitted. The correct part numbers were mentioned in an earlier posting.

If they did not fit it or fitted the old part, the knock will return reasonably quickly.

Toyota certainly have gone to sleep on this and do not realise how much damage they are doing to the Brand. I continue to be one of their very worst critics and worst pieces of Advertising.

Edited by pinot52

• 5 weeks later...

I've encountered the knock at low speed and turns as described by many here on this thread. From my experience with the symptoms, it seems and feels like the tie rod ends.

Any thoughts on this...?

Hi all, I am new to the forum and only found you due to researching the Intermediate Steering Shaft knock.

My 2010 2wd Kluger kxr has been in for its first service while in my ownership and I asked them to have a look at a steering knock, they got back to me with the ISS issue and said that its $670 to fix and they have to order the parts, I took out the premium extended warranty and they are insisting that this warranty will not cover this part at all. My car has only done 70,000k's just wondering if any of you had got your ISS replaced under the extended warranty because im sure as hell aint paying them $670 to fix an issue on a car ive had for 5 months! This is my first Toyota and I had heard nothing but good things about the, now im not so sure, this may well be my last Toyota!

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

Sorry i worded that badly, I purchased the car only 5 months ago from Cardiff Toyota. The factory warranty had already expired so I purchased the premium used car warranty. Wish I had saved myself the $1500!

Hi Ben

This steering issue (ISS) is a Toyota Australia issue. Please check out some of the earlier posts.

Toyota Japan and Australia have known about this issue for years. The Japanese continued to manufacture these vehicles and Toyota Australia continued to sell these faulty lemonisk vehicles to unsuspecting consumers, knowing they might have a problem down the track. It it Toyota that have 'ripped' off the consumer.

Any dealer wanting to rip you off for replacing this should be named and shamed, and you should contact Consumer Affairs. The problem is a Toyota one and should be fixed at no charge.

Suggest you point the service manager from Cardiff Toyota to this forum.

Also you might try the main Toyota Dealer in your city/state, in Sydney it is Sydney City Toyota.

Toyota, oh what a dodgy feeling!

John