ATTN Kluger owners: Steering Intermediate Shaft Knocking Noise -

phez

@jimmymak,

What km's has your Kluger done? Is it still under warranty?

This clunk is too annoying and still don't feel it's fair to pay $$ for a lack of quality issue

Cheers

my car is on 115000kms, i just bought this 2012 Kluger back in Sep 2015 and the dealership has supplied with additional 12 months or 10,000km warranty plus 3 months Statutory warranty.

I wasnt expect the dealership would take so quickly and got a reply from Toyota Australia.

So i guess every Kluger users should try to press harder to get their car done asap.

@jimmymak

Thanks..

I did try and put pressure on Toyota AU but no dice..Emailed the dealer this morning - still no reply.

I did call Toyota Customer Experience Centre though... wonder if there is another more direct contact...

Anyone?

You might need to try and get higher up the tree than the Customer Experience Centre. Always mention TNF 06/13 to Toyota and the Dealer.

This TNF 06/13 report was up on this Forum and was taken down.

This is part of an email I received back in May 2013 from the Technical Operations Manager, Customer Services Division at Toyota Australia in Taren Point NSW.

Dear Mr Doyle

Thank you for your email dated 22 March 2013 expressing your opinion in relation to a noise associated with your Toyota Kluger.

Toyota’s position regarding the “knock” type noise exhibited by the steering shaft at times remains unchanged. That is to say, that although you may hear a slight knock from the steering while manoeuvring, the system is and remains quite safe to operate. The bulletin you refer (TNF06/13), also reinforces that position.

We have placed your vehicle on a priority list to receive the revised shaft when it becomes available. The shaft will be installed to your vehicle free of charge .

Again, we reiterate, your vehicle is quite safe to operate in its present condition. If you wish, we are available to re inspect your vehicle at a mutually acceptable time and place. Please contact your local Toyota Dealer to arrange inspection.

We also add, that none of our technical staff have been able to identify a noise during any of the occasions that we have inspected your vehicle.

We respectfully advise that the Toyota document (TNF 06/13) carries a copyright clause which states that this material may not be reproduced or copied, in whole or part, without the written permission of Toyota Motor Corporation.

As I said earlier it took 3 replacement ISS before they fixed the issue.

John

Not sure if they have an office in SA. I think the Head Office is in Taren Point NSW. You might have to contact Taren Point office.

TMCA Head office is in Port Melbourne. Taren Point/Caringbah is Sales/Marketing, Eastern Regional office and National Parts office. South Australia is covered by the Central Regional office in Adelaide

http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/company/office-locations

• 1 month later...

Hi Mervin

Certainly something dodgy here. Refer them to this forum and also ask them how come they have fixed thousands of other Klugers with the same issue.

Also remind them,  it appears that Klugers were built with this problem, mine definitely was. It came of the production line with a faulty and klunking ISS. Toyota knew about it all along and just did not want to admit it.

Toyota, OH WHAT A FEELING!

NOT, NOT, NOT

There are a lot of posts on this site that show Toyota replaced the faulty ISS for numerous owners with Klugers with varying speedometer readings. Next step would be to screen capture a few of these posts and send Toyota a letter advising them you are going to the ACCC.

I have plenty of emails, invoices etc that I would be happy to share with you.

John

Thanks John,

The guy from CMI SA gave me Toyota AU's number. I am going to call them and mention that I am tired of the run-around. A $50K vehicle and they fuss about a $500 repair?

I'll probably take you up on copies of invoices etc.

Toyota, OH WHAT A FEELING!

We know what feelings we get

My son's older Subaru Forester feels better to drive !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i finally got Pakenham Toyota to fix my steering shaft yesterday and it took only 1 and half hr to finish.

I noticed the steering is a bit stiffer than before and felt more solid and the clunking has gone disappeared and the handling is feel more firm than before.

The best thing was, it cost me $0 to get it fixed.

7 minutes ago, jimmymak said:

i finally got Pakenham Toyota to fix my steering shaft yesterday and it took only 1 and half hr to finish.

I noticed the steering is a bit stiffer than before and felt more solid and the clunking has gone disappeared and the handling is feel more firm than before.

The best thing was, it cost me $0 to get it fixed.

Congrats,,,What km is your Kluger on?

6 minutes ago, MrLee said:

Mine is on 242K and they totally refused to do it.

i guess it is not the matters of mileages of the car if this is caused by manufacturer's defect, then they should have obligation to fix it regardless of it. 

you should keep fighting for it.

Hi Mervin

As Jimmy said, "keep fighting for it."

My Kluger was Brand New, yep, straight out of Fergusons Toyota Hurstville Showroom and it had the issue. Of course, as previously mentioned, everyone said there was not any problem. Toyota built the car I purchased with a faulty ISS. It is also very evident that Toyota Japan and Australia etc knew about the issue and continued to sell these dodgy cars.

By 10,000 kms I was onto my 4th ISS. That is the original plus 2 more faulty ones, until finally they fitted the 3rd correct one. All now seems OK.

I ended up having Sydney City Toyota fix mine. Fergusons Toyota from Hurstville were useless and could not give a damn.

Keep going for it.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 31/03/2015 at 11:02 AM, Milo 10 said:

Hi all,

Rang Peter Warren. They said to bring it in for a free test drive and they could probably get Toyota to

pay for half the repair cost. Rang Sydney City Toyota. They want $140 to assess the problem, but my

chances of getting the repairs covered by Toyota are unknown.

Took the car to my mechanic first, but the clunk did not appear, as expected, as the clunk doesn't happen

too frequently. They lifted the car, inspected everything underneath, but no problems were evident.

Since taking the car to my mechanic, the car barely ever makes the clunk now! The steering mechanism

must have "stretched" while being lifted on the hoist at the mechanic's.

We'll see how it goes.

The knock is still there, so I'm going to Toyota this week. Wish me luck!

Is this problem still wide-spread or have people just given up on reporting it?

Milo

Hi Milo

I assume many have been fixed. Bound to be many out there, where the driver is unaware.

There should be NO cost associated with this fix. All Toyota Service Centres know about the issue. Have the Service Manager check Toyota Technical Newsletter TNF 06/13 It advises them about the issue with the Steering Shaft.

Also there should be NO cost in assessing the issue. This is nothing more than a 'FOBB OFF'

John

38 minutes ago, Milo 10 said:

The knock is still there, so I'm going to Toyota this week. Wish me luck!

Is this problem still wide-spread or have people just given up on reporting it?

Milo

I gave up trying...and sold the Kluger... with it's wide turning circle | terrible fuel economy | Steering Clunk | Diff / trans whine | huge cost to replace water pump | and the list goes on !

I now have no toyotas.. after selling the RAV too...

• 2 months later...

i love my Kluger and it hasn't even done 100,000km in the 7 years i have had it, BUT this steering column knocking issue is annoying. mine has just become unbearable.

TMCA and the dealer have relinquished all responsibility saying my vehicle in now out of warranty. now they wont even respond to my emails or return my phone calls.

the issue was bought to their attention within the warranty period,  the best excuse has been that they fixed it by giving my car a wheel alignment.  

Interested to hear from other parties whom have had this issue

Hi Johnny

The same thing happened to us. Our Kluger was 6 years old and we loved it and had only just done 50,000 but we had no joy with either the dealership or Toyota. It was also brought to their attention within the warranty period.We finally sold the car as the value is diminishing due to this problem. Won't have another Toyota now.

• 1 month later...

On my GSU40R 2011 Kluger (2WD), I've managed to get rid of the steering 'klunk' by injecting some WD40 Wet PTFE into the steering base as per one of the youtube videos. That seems to have fixed the 'klunk', however the steering feels quite tight now. I've since reinjected some white lithium grease, but it is still tight. Does anyone have any advice on what else I can do? Hopefully the steering turn tightness hasn't messed anything up :(

Has anyone else experienced this?

• 5 months later...

Hi, my story:

I've bought Kluger 2012 2 months ago (in Dec 2016) second hand. 

From the very beginning of my ownership it has had the knocking sound in the steering mechanism. I have still bought it as ALL FOUR Klugers (!) I had test driven had this problem :(( All 4 of them :(

The problem was immediately recognised by Toyota authorised technician but I was asked to pay $750 to replace the intermediate steering shaft by Authorised dealership in Gold Coast, near Harbour Town mall. 

Do I have a chance to get it fixed for free? Any recent cases of such free fixes in Gold Coast? is it a permanent fix or still temporary? 

Shall we all celebrate and drink champagne to mark 12 year old Toyota permanence and stability in quality? As I understand the problem is 12 years old now and is still around. 

PS In addition, after every rain I get the driver door leaks. Is it harmful to have water inside the door after every rain, or it will not affect anything? like sound system, etc? 

PPS What car would you recommend to buy for my son, if not Toyota? Nissan Patrol/Pathfinder or Mitsubishi Pajero/Challenger? I'm sort of tired of car problems. What would you buy?