Door handle replacement

My ZZE has turned 11 years old. I think it's time I get around to doing that JDM Toyota Allex/Runx conversion which I've always dreamed of. The Runx/Allex has Chrome door handles... I've got black ones on the ascent... which are also looking not the best after 11 years (faded and worn).

Using Amayama Japan (bought from them before)... I have managed to track down exterior chrome handles and the chrome boot garnish. $120 for 4x door handles and $160 for the boot garnish.

Now... money isn't the problem here... I just have a problem with the door itself. I've managed to pull the door panel off but there's a clear plastic shield looking thing in the way. My mate said I can't pull that off because it won't stick back on again and it will leak water into the car.

I REALLY want to get these handles installed but this stupid plastic shield thing has stopped me :-(

I can see it's held on with some black glue looking stuff? Is it possible to carefully pull that plastic shield off (without ripping it) and stick it back on with... something? Please let me know... I've been waiting for nearly 11 years to do this work on the car!

EDIT: So what do people do when the power window motor or regulator fails? buy a new door? (it's behind the shield!).

Edited by stevo1210

you can remove the weather plastic, it should stick back on.

If it doesnt stick back on for some reason, you can use butyl tape on the plastic to stick it back on

There will be no problem with pulling the plastic off, you only need to pull it back from the corner the handle is on. If the plastic is held on with the black tar stuff it will stick back on no problem, it will also stick to your arms and anything else that touches it :)

If your going to do a conversion I reckon go for a sportivo and do it

At one point of time, I did consider getting a Sportivo to replace this car... but I suppose I'm just *too* attached to it to let it go. I remember the first day we got it from the dealer in 2002... it was a rainy day and I was 13 at the time. When I was 18 and finished high school, my parents gifted the car to me cause I made it to uni. I got my license in this car, many other childhood memories surrounding this car as well. At my wedding, we will be using this car as well... it just means THAT much to me.

As I said earlier, I have upgraded to a brand new Honda and this car remains dormant in the garage (while I still pay full rego and insurance for it). My partner thinks I'm insane... but I'm just so connected to my Corolla haha. :P

Edited by stevo1210