2009 Tarago Rear Entertainment System No Power?

Bigfamily

Just picked up an 09 Tarago/Previa only to get home and find the CD stacker not working and the DVD player not working. The dealer is meant to be getting the remote and headphones from the previous owner but I'm a bit sick of ringing and hearing they have left a message and he's bringing them in tomorrow.

It was written into the contract that the entertainment system needs to be working and we were told it was, just that we are waiting on the remote.

Since I don't know anyone with one to check I have a few questions so we are armed to fight and can possibly have a look and figure out what the problem is so I know they've fixed it properly.

First, the book says the unit remains on but shuts off the screen when you close it, however it also says you can turn the unit on and off with the remote. Could it just be that the DVD player needs the remote to turn it on or should it power up when the car turns on or if I insert a DVD? It does not appear to have any power at all.

Second, the previous owner has obviously upgraded the sat nav unit as it's not the stock one from the original owners manual. I do however have an owners manual for it. It appears he upgraded a lot of options when he bought this car. Is it possible that they didn't hook up the DVD player properly when they installed it? The disc/aux button doesn't seem to see the DVD player and neither does the mode button.

Where would I check for problems? I have already checked two fuses, a 15A one under the hood and a 7.5A one down on the drivers side in the car. Is there any others? Where does the wiring run for it to get power? There are heaps of wires and I've never had a Tarago before.

Oh, and the radio reception is terrible! It's actually worse than our Pajero which has had the antenna snapped off when we were 4wding. I'm guessing they've botched something when they upgraded the sat nav and he didn't bother or didn't care about getting it fixed.

I will be getting a manual ASAP but as I literally only just bought this car I will be making them fix it and anything else I find wrong with it. It'd just be handy to know what's wrong so I can check they fixed it properly.

Just picked up an 09 Tarago/Previa only to get home and find the CD stacker not working and the DVD player not working. The dealer is meant to be getting the remote and headphones from the previous owner but I'm a bit sick of ringing and hearing they have left a message and he's bringing them in tomorrow.

It was written into the contract that the entertainment system needs to be working and we were told it was, just that we are waiting on the remote.

Since I don't know anyone with one to check I have a few questions so we are armed to fight and can possibly have a look and figure out what the problem is so I know they've fixed it properly.

First, the book says the unit remains on but shuts off the screen when you close it, however it also says you can turn the unit on and off with the remote. Could it just be that the DVD player needs the remote to turn it on or should it power up when the car turns on or if I insert a DVD? It does not appear to have any power at all.

Second, the previous owner has obviously upgraded the sat nav unit as it's not the stock one from the original owners manual. I do however have an owners manual for it. It appears he upgraded a lot of options when he bought this car. Is it possible that they didn't hook up the DVD player properly when they installed it? The disc/aux button doesn't seem to see the DVD player and neither does the mode button.

Where would I check for problems? I have already checked two fuses, a 15A one under the hood and a 7.5A one down on the drivers side in the car. Is there any others? Where does the wiring run for it to get power? There are heaps of wires and I've never had a Tarago before.

Oh, and the radio reception is terrible! It's actually worse than our Pajero which has had the antenna snapped off when we were 4wding. I'm guessing they've botched something when they upgraded the sat nav and he didn't bother or didn't care about getting it fixed.

I will be getting a manual ASAP but as I literally only just bought this car I will be making them fix it and anything else I find wrong with it. It'd just be handy to know what's wrong so I can check they fixed it properly.

I'm no expert on the Tarago but the Estima ICE system is a fully integrated system. The in dash unit sends program to the drop down screen which has it's own remote. Communication is via a propriety toyota format called AVLAN (audio visual local area network)

I would assume the Tarago has much the same system which is purpose built for Oz

If the in dash unit has been replaced with after market then the system has been seriously hacked into and the cd/ DVD stacker may not work.

The standard fix for this is to fit a aftermarket sat nav /radio/ cd player/ mp3 player to the the dash. And to fit totally seperate DVD player/ drop down screen unit to the rear of the vehicle.

You may be about to test how well the dealer can meet the terms of the contact.

Edited by robmac1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2008 Tarago with the built-in sat nav & overhead DVD. I'll will try to answer your questions as best I can...

"First, the book says the unit remains on but shuts off the screen when
you close it, however it also says you can turn the unit on and off with
the remote. Could it just be that the DVD player needs the remote to
turn it on or should it power up when the car turns on or if I insert a
DVD? It does not appear to have any power at all."

This is correct. The DVD player is always on as long as there's a disc inside. There is no power button. All I do is turn on the engine & push a disc into the drive & it just works. No need to do anything else.

"Second, the previous owner has obviously upgraded the sat nav unit as
it's not the stock one from the original owners manual. I do however
have an owners manual for it. It appears he upgraded a lot of options
when he bought this car. Is it possible that they didn't hook up the DVD
player properly when they installed it? The disc/aux button doesn't
seem to see the DVD player and neither does the mode button."

The disc/aux button doesn't register the DVD player until there is a playable disc in the drive. If no disc is inserted, pressing the disc/aux button just cycles between the CD player and the AUX channel.