Steering Wheel "Click" on turns like a worn link

mikec

Hi

Recently took Kluger in for 40,000km service and mentioned this "click" on turning. Happens most noticeably at low speed when steering turned and accelerating forward or reversing out of driveway, turning opposite direction and moving forward.

Feels a lot like a Steering link or Wheel link that is worn but not likely at 40,000km (3 years)

I was told by the Service Dept that "Toyota Australia" had instructed all outlets to stop "trying to fix it" because they were being unsuccessful and Toyota was looking into it.

Has anyone else had this? Had it successfully fixed?

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

So Sci-Fleet Toyota (Albion) have responded to my request to replace the "intermediate steering shaft" from this morning by telling me that they can't even if they wanted to - Toyota won't supply the part any longer until a 100%, long term fix is found. Apparently, I should expect a resolution in about 6 months from them. Until then I guess.

Lets hope that Toyota has a proper fix for this issue that has been ongoing for years (as well as for some other models).I was really keen on getting a KXS Kluger mid year , but since i found out about this steering problem , the Kluger has now slip down my list :(

Hi,

I just purchased a 2008 KXS and it had this issue.

The dealer was able to replace the intermediate steering shaft under warranty.

Issue is resolved ed for now. Car had just 55k on the clock.

My mates 2010 KXS now has the same issue with 60k on the clock.

Sounds super common!

• 2 weeks later...

So Sci-Fleet Toyota (Albion) have responded to my request to replace the "intermediate steering shaft" from this morning by telling me that they can't even if they wanted to - Toyota won't supply the part any longer until a 100%, long term fix is found. Apparently, I should expect a resolution in about 6 months from them. Until then I guess.

Just curious what Toyota had in mind for a long term fix that will take 6 months? (say around September/October 2013) , this issue has been ongoing for years .Now suddenly they have decided to tackle it once for and for all , but will take another 6 months.Hopefully its worth the wait and a good outcome.Im still planning to buy a new KXR in June :)

I have 135K on my KXS just coming up to 5 years old, it has just starting having the same problem, I took it to toyota and was told that it was related to the intermediate shaft and that it was common in the kluger.

From the posts obviously that is true.

They stated that it was not a safety issue just an annoyance and suggested doing nothing at this stage as toyota is working on a long term fix, (Possibly a recall).

Happy to wait

Fingers crossed toyota come up with solution that fixes the intermediate shaft steering problem permanently,It wouldnt bother me if toyota had too do a recall,as long it fixes the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

we had a 2008 kxs which had the same issue, they simply replaced the intermediate shaft. I since sold it and now we are buying another, but the grande - it had the clicking noise so before we take delivery they are replacing it.

push then to fix it by replacing, if this was occurring in 2009 and still happening today, then it will continue and I doubt a resolution will be found in 6 months.

• 4 months later...

Good news on Steering Shaft. Mine was replaced for free 2 weeks ago with the latest version of the part which is supposed to be fixed properly. Steering is 100% now. This was the only issue with an otherwise perfect vehicle.

Toyota held true on the "we'll have a fix in 6 months" which is great.