going to get new wheels, problem is size

i'm getting new wheels, end of this month.

however, massive headache deciding whether to get 19" or 20".

so please, tell me what you have, and how they're going for you

In Vic you can go up to 2 inches higher than the diameter of the largest factory fitted wheel to that model of car. ie you can theoretically fit a 21" wheel to an Aurion being that the TRD's were released with 19's. As long as the rolling diameter remains within 1/2% of the original by fitting the correct profile tyre's (which is fair enough otherwise your speedo will be way out)

In terms of width it is 1 inch wider than factory (again, TRD's are 8 inches wide, so you could fit 9" wide wheels without a problem)

Offset wise you would want something within the +35 to +45 range. If your mad about stance and that then you could always go lower than 35 if you wanted.

I'm running staggered 8.5" +40 offset and 9.5" +45 offset 19" wheels at the moment. Fitment wise that combo is perfect in terms of sitting flush with the guards front and rear, I just havn't lowered the car yet (and may not at all at this stage). Have had no scrubbing with carloads and corners etc thus far. That being said the tyre's are quite stretched which helps, and will down the track if I do decide to lower.

Road comfort and noise didn't really suffer for me coming from 17's, if anything its a firmer ride. Noise is all dependent on the tread you decide to go with (obviously the cheaper you go, the louder it will get)

thanks josh.

how would i calculate rolling diametre ?

it would be circumference of the wheels and tyresi will be getting, divided by what i have now, right ?

as it is, my speedo is already about 5km/h out whilst comparing it to my gps.

i have been looking at 19x9.5 front and rear, with a 245 35/R19 tyre, and will be lowering the car with BC Racing coilovers

but i've seen so many guys here putting 20s and they seem to fill up the wheel arch much nicer.

so if i were going for the 20s, what would be the right tyre profile to go with ?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Best and simplest tool around for getting the right diameter

I run 235x35 and 245x35 front and rear (respectively) and my speedo is out by about 8k's (reads 108 when GPS/roadside speed readouts read 100. I've just learnt to allow for it when I'm checking my speedo :P

To overcome this I would need to run higher profile rubber so that the sidewalls arnt as stretched, therefore giving the higher rolling diameter. So if you are planning on running 19x9.5 rims for example, I would go for a 255x40 profile tyre, IF i wanted an accurate-ish speedo. And as for 20s, 35 is the correct profile I believe.

ED: I am aware, if you put my dimensions etc in its still like 8% out :P

Edited by VIPZR6

ahh thanks a lot, just having a browse through some of the member ride posts, and seeing what they have. but i'll keep that profile in mind.

hmm now to consider having 20s and lowering with the coilovers

Edited by xCalibur_

How low are you planning to go?

If really low, tyre to fender (no gap) you will scrub.

If maybe 1or2 finger gap you might scrub , I'm on the phone so I can't link, there's a page somewhere in the wheel section that has every Aurion or camry owners experience inputed, along with tyre size, rim size, type of lowering(springsorcoils).

i'm not going for full "hella flush stance" low, more like, just a sports car looks

if you can, when you have time, link me to that page, cos i cant seem to find it

Edited by xCalibur_

i have 20's lowered on coilovers o_O

in the rear the tyre is level with the guard, with a full car load under HEAVY acceleration it scrubbed a tiny bit

other than that it looks mint (i did read the comment saying dont post on this anymore, just thought i would let you know :) )

good look with your wheels :)

haha thanks lol, in the end i have realised that 20s aren't my thing when it comes to the AT-X, touring, prodigy and presara aurion. so any aurion thats not a sportivo.

IMHO the 20s make it look out of place, because of lack of body kits.

so 19s is what i've chosen and will be revealed soon. very soon. might put a tease photo just before i get the coilovers .. :P

haha thanks lol, in the end i have realised that 20s aren't my thing when it comes to the AT-X, touring, prodigy and presara aurion. so any aurion thats not a sportivo.

so 19s is what i've chosen and will be revealed soon. very soon. might put a tease photo just before i get the coilovers .. :P

lol...20's look great they just scrub no what you do...been there done that.

lol...20's look great they just scrub no what you do...been there done that.

quite a few people in the wheels and tyre thread have said they get no scrub