Fuel Consumption

The airconditioning unit in a motor vehicle is attached directly to the engine so yes, when engaged, it does drain a considerable amount of power. If you've ever been in an old Lancer (The oldies with the 4g15 engine) and put the aircon on doing about 100k, you can literally feel the slump in power. 69Kw to begin with FTL! I can't remember exactly who on the forum is in a 4runner/ Hilux now, but they should feel the same effect, I know my fathers 1995 model does it.

sorry for the dumb question but how big is the rolla's tank anyway (facelift rolla to be precise)? I read through the manual but couldn't find any info on it..

sorry for the dumb question but how big is the rolla's tank anyway (facelift rolla to be precise)? I read through the manual but couldn't find any info on it..

I think it's 60 litres or could be 65litres, definitely either one of those two :rolleyes:

The sportivo's have 60 litres, whereas the other models have 55 litres.

noice, so basically the fuel LED is turned on as soon as there 20 ltr or less, is it correct?

noice, so basically the fuel LED is turned on as soon as there 20 ltr or less, is it correct?

I believe it's 10, but don't quote me.

That's a safe assumption. I did almost 100KM when the light started coming on. I just keep going and see when my Stivo would die on me....

3 liters left to the tank when I got to it .............. :D

That's a safe assumption. I did almost 100KM when the light started coming on. I just keep going and see when my Stivo would die on me....

Imagine if i LIFT. Engine would just die halfway through it. Hahahahahhaha. BTW, anyone know of any side effects if we run the car till the fuel is empty?

You had some fuel in the boot ready to put in or you push your stivo to the nearest fuel station? :P

You had some fuel in the boot ready to put in or you push your stivo to the nearest fuel station? :P

never thought of that. I just had *** and RACV in my mind..... :P

its 40 or 45L for you..

im pretty sure its 45L

Imagine if i LIFT. Engine would just die halfway through it. Hahahahahhaha. BTW, anyone know of any side effects if we run the car till the fuel is empty?

You risk damaging your fuel pump in the long term. Dont run it dry often if at all...

• 1 year later...

Just got back from a trip to Sydney and filled up about 50km after the light came on from a brimming full tank after an amazing 853.5 km. I filled up the tank to the brim again and it took 46.9L so thats just under 5.5 L/100km. It was 100% highway driving and a dream run but thats theoretically over 1000 km/tank!

Just got back from a trip to Sydney and filled up about 50km after the light came on from a brimming full tank after an amazing 853.5 km. I filled up the tank to the brim again and it took 46.9L so thats just under 5.5 L/100km. It was 100% highway driving and a dream run but thats theoretically over 1000 km/tank!

VVT-i is hard to beat when it comes to fuel efficiency. My previous car a Corolla Levin ZZE with CAI and full exhaust was able to travel 450km using only half tank on 100km/h freeway zone. I was stunned.

My friend did managed to reached Sydney from Melbourne with 1 full tank with his zzt Celica. But I failed to achieve that with my Celica when I was on my way to Gold Coast from Melbourne. Could be because I was stuck in serious traffic that morning. So at best I did it with 1 and a quarter tank driving my Celica from Melbourne to Sydney.

Labouring the engine otherwise.

Wow really.... I'll give this a go. Just got back from the snow and did 588.8 km and filled up 49.75 L.

Going to be filling up tomorrow for the return journey

Winter isn't the best time of year for fuel economy.

Colder air = denser = needs more fuel to maintain the same AFR.

Gav.

Which is why cars have intake air-temperature sensors to compensate for the density change. And cold air should give you slightly more power, which means you can use slightly less throttle to get the same results, thus keeping fuel consumption roughly the same.

Of more impact would be the lack of AC being used, which sucks a substantial amount of power. Using the heater uses no power (apart from driving the fan), so keeping the car warm in winter uses less fuel than keeping it cool in summer.

Winter isn't the best time of year for fuel economy.

Colder air = denser = needs more fuel to maintain the same AFR.

Gav.

Which is why cars have intake air-temperature sensors to compensate for the density change.

My TX3 doesn't! But yeah, I guess nearly every car from early 90s onward would do...

AC still has a place in winter for demisting fogged up windows.

Gav.