Fuel Consumption

i fill up once every 2 weeks

Mobil 8000 (98 octane) about 50-55 litres at around 136 ish a litre which is about 75 bucks

i get about 650-700 ks off that, driving HARD :)

so about 38 bucks a week

hmm everyone doing around 40 - 70 ish ... so lewks like im average ish :P kakka woooT

oh yeh is BP ULTIMAX like premium or soemthing ? coz im planning to go on that soon when i get the BP credit card.. apparently i can get like 5% off if i use that card at BP so i fort id treat my car with a bit more respect n give it that haha

buh yeh i just use standard unleaded :P haha!!

i fill up once every 2 weeks

Mobil 8000 (98 octane) about 50-55 litres at around 136 ish a litre which is about 75 bucks

i get about 650-700 ks off that, driving HARD :)

so about 38 bucks a week

I agree, last tank i got 640 km city driving whole time.....filled up cost like 73 $ or so....put in 54 litres or so....had driven on fuel light for around 40km.....cant have had long left till empty :)

I used to have to fill up once a week at about $70 on BP ultimate until I moved alot closer to work, now I budget in $20 a week sometimes go over though, depending on what i do on weekends.

i usually use half tank of petrol every week to and from work, shopping, some spirited driving, and i normally dont do granpa driving, unless iam real tired, lift at least once a a day, half tank of shell v power cost me 45 bux or there about,iam very happy with it, and good to c a supra and focus in this thread too so we get an idea of how much it cost with other cars

Well i've only filled up once in the last month & even then it was only about $40 or so for a bit over half a tank.

50,000k's & 3 years down the track i'm still averaging ~ 7l/100k's give or take a little depending on where I drive which hasn't been very far lately ;)

dang 7L/100?!?! i use another 1.5L more then u ever 100km.. sigh thats just crap!!

anyone know whats the problem or maybe hmm what can be done? :P car is pretty much stock and i've been trying grandpa driving.. doesnt make much difference..

Filled up today. My gauge was about half way. filled up 34 litres, cost me $45. Is that normal?

Before i filled up, the final reading of my Trip A was 365kms.

I full tank every time, so 34Litres got me 365kms

Just filled up Mobil 6000 on a near empty tank, light flashing and needle on the last level. Cost $60 for a full tank? WTF? $60 is meant to last me for a week, not so sure now. I'm getting less k's these days too. I think its cos' I thrash the car more to hear the CAI :(. I'm also up for my 50,000km service.

Filled up today. My gauge was about half way. filled up 34 litres, cost me $45. Is that normal?

Thats 9.31 L/100kms - right in the range for Corolla's from 2005 on atleast. I don't know what model yours is. Mine is Dec '05 and returns between 9.1 (rarely) and 12.9 L/100kms.

Anyone not sure how to calculate litres/100 kilometers - (applogies to those who already know)

Divide the number of litres used by the number of kilometres travelled and then multiply by 100.

ie 45/400 = 0.1125

0.1125 * 100 = 11.25 l/100kms

mines a Feb 04' model

Thats 9.31 L/100kms - right in the range for Corolla's from 2005 on atleast. I don't know what model yours is. Mine is Dec '05 and returns between 9.1 (rarely) and 12.9 L/100kms.

Anyone not sure how to calculate litres/100 kilometers - (applogies to those who already know)

Divide the number of litres used by the number of kilometres travelled and then multiply by 100.

ie 45/400 = 0.1125

0.1125 * 100 = 11.25 l/100kms

Tips for getting a better fuel consumption.

Turn off your engine at Red Light. This works very well especially if you are commuting everyday and you know the traffic pattern already. Not a good idea if it is an unfamiliar place, and if it is night time, your headlights may drain your battery.

I've done it and I can easily save 0.5 to 1 litre per 100km. that means from 8 to 7litres/100km or less. I have done < 7L/100km. This is almost like Prius or Echo level of fuel efficiency.

You can overfill your tires a bit to reduce friction, very good for long distance travel.

Finally, just make sure you have your engine in shape. Especially the motor oil and the gearbox oil. I'm using a low viscosity gear oil and it is lighter (thus less drag) and gear change is easier.

Oh you can also use high octane fuel, which burns cleaner, not that it saves much cost considering you are spending more on the price/litre. you'll find that you end up breaking even or just spending very little bit more. The main advantage is high octane fuel are so much cleaner and thus, you will never clot up the injector or dirty your valves, which ultimately means that you can run your engine efficiently like new even after 100,000km or more.

in conclusion, the most effective method is turn off engine (common sense), then the rest is also effective if you want to spend time on adjusting tires and regularly change M oil. I recommend high octane fuel, Octane98, because it is the same price if you do the numbers.

• 5 weeks later...

Turn off your engine at Red Light. This works very well especially if you are commuting everyday and you know the traffic pattern already. Not a good idea if it is an unfamiliar place, and if it is night time, your headlights may drain your battery.

I've done it and I can easily save 0.5 to 1 litre per 100km. that means from 8 to 7litres/100km or less. I have done < 7L/100km. This is almost like Prius or Echo level of fuel efficiency.

You can overfill your tires a bit to reduce friction, very good for long distance travel.

Finally, just make sure you have your engine in shape. Especially the motor oil and the gearbox oil. I'm using a low viscosity gear oil and it is lighter (thus less drag) and gear change is easier.

Oh you can also use high octane fuel, which burns cleaner, not that it saves much cost considering you are spending more on the price/litre. you'll find that you end up breaking even or just spending very little bit more. The main advantage is high octane fuel are so much cleaner and thus, you will never clot up the injector or dirty your valves, which ultimately means that you can run your engine efficiently like new even after 100,000km or more.

in conclusion, the most effective method is turn off engine (common sense), then the rest is also effective if you want to spend time on adjusting tires and regularly change M oil. I recommend high octane fuel, Octane98, because it is the same price if you do the numbers.

I disagree completely. Unless you sit at the traffic lights for a good 5 or so minutes, you will waste much more fuel re-starting the vehicle then letting it idle.

Best way to save fuel is to either shift like a grandma, or ride your bike.

I have no idea how you all get around 500-650km'z out of a tank. i use bp ultimate 98 octane and i average around 490-530km'z a tank. the only mod i have is a cai. or maybe its just that i have a oversize foot cause on average, i hit lift between 3 to 5 times a day. does hittin lift make that much of a difference on fuel consumption. ohh and i mainly drive in normal residential areas. around the western suburbs

12L to 13L per 100km out of my 2zz ...... so stop sulking about your 0.5L variance to others :P :P :P :P :P

and 14L to 15L if i'm up it :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful:

I disagree completely. Unless you sit at the traffic lights for a good 5 or so minutes, you will waste much more fuel re-starting the vehicle then letting it idle.

or walk :spiteful: then you don't have to stop at traffic lights

or walk :spiteful: then you don't have to stop at traffic lights

haha hey i got overtaken on my way home from work by 2 push bikes. damn rubber neckers!!

Thanks for the responses,

Putting things into perspective, you guys are correct to some extend. The best fuel consumpstion vs the worse fuel consumption varies only about 2L/100km at the very worse.

Unless you use the car for 100000km/year, your fuel costs is insignificant compare to registration, service, insurance and loan. So in many ways, it does not matter if I'm wasteful with fuel as I don't travel that much. I probably end up spending $10 per mth extra. another words, I probably saved just a mere $10/mth by being diligently saving fuel and turning off the car at lights.

I have tested my car with engine off at the lights, It really works and there is significant difference.

Well the good news is that car companies can easily respond to the fuel price increase by producing more fuel efficient cars. This time they really mean it. I Hope.

Bong