86 Fault - Clunk and banging in steering and gearbox fault

Celica 72

It has been revealed that Toyota Australia is aware that there is a fault with steering and gearbox configurations in the Toyota 86. You will know if you have the fault which is evident when the 86 is driven on corrugated road services such as a dirt or lose gravel road. If you also drive the wheels along a cobblestone gutter you will feel clucking banging in the steering column and if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving you will also feel the clunk. The problem seems to be a problem with cars that have a manual gearbox and can be heard depending on how bad your car has become.

What i have done to correct the fault...
I have taken my car to the service department at Toyota and a senior diagnostic technician was able to replicate the fault. This was then escalated to Toyota Australia who sent a senior analysis who confirmed the fault and said that the fault is known with the model. The long term damage is not know yet as the model is new. It was suggested that it could be a right hand drive problem and may be due to the mounting of the gearbox or steering. There could be long term costs which won’t be covered once the warranty has finished.

I was informed that Toyota Australia will not provided a fix unless they get more complaints. To date several people have lodged complaints, however more is need before this significant concern is rectified. If you experience this fault take your car to the service department at Toyota. Tell the technician that this is a registered fault and you would like to register your car with Toyota Australia with the fault to get a fix. If more people come forward and register the fault it is likely that Toyota will provide a fix and save us costly repairs once the warranty finishes.

• 11 months later...

Yes i have this fault too and i did take it back to the dealer they said that they tightened the suspension and sent me on my way without another look at it, it still does and feels the same and they told me to take it back but now i will copy this, print it up then give it to them and tell them to fix it, my car shouldnt sound like that being brand new.

thanks for sharing this @celica72, I have put down a deposit for a brand new 86 gt and will pick up the car next month. if there will be the same issue i'll be able to print this topic and discuss it with them. again thanks for this..

p.s.

my wife did have the same trouble w/ a different car. brand new and some loud banging when u turn the steering wheel. i guess i'll call that dealership and register the fault before the warranty expires.