Different Domain name?

xGSiR

Well about $20AUD a year for the domain name.

I feel we need to get a smaller catchier name so people can remember the url.

Even when advertising on the Toyota cars.

i wish www.oztoyota.com was available to us, would be heaps better.

I cant see this happening considering that there are still only 5 FINANCIAL MEMBERS!!!

to be honest I am disgusted. people on this site want everything for nothing ......

they would rather spend $40 on a few drinks and dinner or on their car rather than supporting the community that has help them learn more about their car .....

I could go on but yeah......its P!SS POOR GUYS!!

craig i think you need to clam down bit mate, when only one method of payment is offered you cant expect everyone to have a paypal account, if you have a look at alot of the members they are in the 18-25 bracket and may not have access to a credit card.

The financial members get a cut of the Google ads revenue I assume?

NO Not at all

Oh, I thought once hosting costs were covered, the cream from the google ads would be shared with paying members. Meh.

I don't think it's p:ss poor that I don't pay for this website.

The financial members get a cut of the Google ads revenue I assume?

NO Not at all

Oh, I thought once hosting costs were covered, the cream from the google ads would be shared with paying members. Meh.

I don't think it's p:ss poor that I don't pay for this website.

I dont think new members should suport the club unless they want to. But remember it costs money to run this site, and to enable more features which cost time and effort.

And I feel that older more experianced members should lead by example and support the site financially and help it grow into one of the best toyota communities around.

Some of the information found on this site from the members both new and old has proven to be invaluable time and time again....

I have offered it before and I will do it again If anyone wants to support the club financially but do not have the means necessary I will offer myself to do it for them

They can deposit the monies into my account and I will organise with Steve to enable their silver memships using my paypal account.

Sorry if the original post was a bit fire breathing my appologies to the community

Is it possible the forum can get a shorter domain name rather then http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/

Like www.tocau.com or something?

what does it matter? don't tell me you type in all of that each time you visit the site :P

the url name has to have meaning. 'tocau' means absoutely nothing to people who have no idea about the club/forum.

i dont think length of url should matter, if you visit the site constantly... it should be in your favourites anyway.

I was under the impression that it's the people that make this a community, accumulated knowledge that is shared freely.

Not Invision, not the domain company and not the host.

And I feel that older more experianced members should lead by example and support the site financially and help it grow into one of the best toyota communities around.

Assume I donated $10,000, how would that help it grow into one of the best Toyota communities around? I'm not trying to have a go at you, sincerely, this is the site suggestions section after all. What could be done to improve this place if money was not an issue?

I was under the impression that it's the people that make this a community, accumulated knowledge that is shared freely.

Not Invision, not the domain company and not the host.

Assume I donated $10,000, how would that help it grow into one of the best Toyota communities around? I'm not trying to have a go at you, sincerely, this is the site suggestions section after all. What could be done to improve this place if money was not an issue?

its simple...features, layout and people combined together make the community but first impressions last....and if people want to make sugestions to make the site look better to attractive more ppl then this takes money!

money which financial members provide.....so you want a better site you have to pay for it...simple as that.

but the everyday runnings of the site cost money also am i right????

what woul happen if all of a sudden there was no money left to run TOCAU and it was closed.........many people would not be bothered..i know....but myself and others have tried to make this site what it is today and wish to see it grow further would be very upset..... :(

mate im not telling you to sign up ....but just think about what it involves to run suach a site and think about the guy stuck over in the UK running it all for us.................................... :blink:

If TOCAU 'ran out of money' and had to close, I would run it from my website, just one extra database, big deal.

Seriously man, I doubt they're struggling to scrape together the $25 annually or whatever to keep this site running. Especially with the added money they make from the Google ads.

If the owners/operators of TOCAU made a request to users for funds, and gave a reason, sure I would definately donate a little.

But another user saying that it's 'p1ss poor' that I dont give money, is no incentive at all.

As far as the original posters, well, original post regarding domain names, I'd just like to add that toc.com.au is available. But BigBum's point is a good one, most people have this site bookmarked. It's no small feat to shift peoples 'brand awareness' to a new domain name.

edit: Go.d damn it, why the f.uck can't we say 'p!ss' in here. There's an improvement idea!

edit2: And G.od?! Seriously wtf, lighten up.

Edited by Otaku

what would be good is sponsorship from performance companies and so on giving incentive to people who are members for discounts on mechandice and parts from australia and overseas.

they get buisness and we get discounts plus the site gets constant money to keep running plus also maybe a little more money to advertise the site and get more members not just rolla members but all toyota members.

i mean also if we were affiliated with all the other toyota sites aswel.

i can see where danthuyer is coming from but at the same time i also see where otaku is coming from.

why join when ya dont have to. and what if you join and the site still looses money and closes its just a waste.

at the end of the day all you get for your joining money if a sticker and to be know as an offical member.

personally id love to become a full member but i honestly dont see the benifits of doing this when anything i need to know i can findout and theres always new members joining all the time besides everyones else whos already here.

anyone i meet or speek to who has any type of toyota i give them the site address and premote this site as much as possible.but how does being a offical member change anything?

NEED INCENTIVE

p.s

please dont take this personally anyone its just my opinion :D

I guess we cant change the name of the forum. Only the people who visit this forum would know what TOCAU or TOC stands for. Thats why the url name of www.oztoyota.com would be good if we had it.

There are tons of Corolla owners out there, and if they remembered a catchier name of oztoyota or something, then they can remember and check out the site.

Wouldn't hurt to have an extra 100 members or so ehehhe.

The Corolla board is the most active board though =/ I guess there is a dedicated Supra or MR2 forum for aussie owners.

TOCAU is known as the Corolla forum me says!

Just like to apologise for my rants to you all.

I see that I was failry out of line and you guys are right...

there is no need to join up and be a financial member ..... i mean all you get is a few more extra meg for uploads and a larger inbox amoung over things ....

I mean hey if i didnt have the money i wouldnt have done it either <_<

hmm googles $5 a day shared.. hey thats $1 each fellas!!

$25 a year hosting made me grin... thats cheap for a dedicated server

The end of the day we do not have funds to improve things on this website. Shame as since this club is only over a year old we see it growing rapidly.

We are not begging people to support the site... If people enjoy it and want a few more features in return then please do what you can.

Otaku you need to get a grips of reality if you expect something to grow.

Forget the financial side of things, WHY CHANGE THE URL???? ;)

the name of the URL is simple TOYOTAOWNERSCLUB, this IS what we are isn't it????

I can understand that a few people may think that it is long or what ever but please realistically look at the options:

OZTOYOTA - For starters this is not the name of the club,and secondly after OZHONDA and OZMAZDA, how try-hard would we look.

www.tocau.com - mmmm...NO!!! If the idea is to have an easier domain name for people to remember, then how confusing would an acronym be... "gee what were those initials again???? woops I forgot...."

COCA - It's not just for Corolla's here, sorry Eddy.... :)

Like I said, we are the Toyota Owners Club.... it makes sense to keep it as that, and for the record, I do not feel that it is too long.... The only thing I do not like about the domain name is that the au bit is at the wrong end, but this is because of the way that the site is hosted, not really an issue. Infact when I think about it, for the sake of making the domain name easier, this helps as because at first glance it doesn't look right, ie people expect the .com.au at the end of the URL, then it makes people take a second look.... :P

As for the financial side, I am now web-hosting expert, but even I could tell you that this site would cost a bucket load more than $25.00 per year.... I am really not that financial at the moment to become a Financial Member myself, but I will be as as soon as I can (prolly after my European Holiday in February - Beware Steve..... I'm a coming to England :) )...

And as for this...

edit: Go.d damn it, why the f.uck can't we say 'p!ss' in here. There's an improvement idea!

Should this question really need to be answered.... ;)

Haha some good points about the domain name azza!

Look guys, I know $25 was a stupid over exaggeration. I shouldn't have said that.

As for swear filtering, well, it's not like this site needs a G rating, I doubt many car owners are under 12....

I like the swear filtering as I work at a school and it's all blanked out and I can access the site during work.

Plus why do some need to use such language to convey a point? :(

There are plenty of words to choose from..... ;)