1999 Toyota Camry MCV20R CSi wagon

drewb

I bought this model with the 3lt V6 in 8/2010. The car only had 110,000k's, and was in good condition for it's age. As the vehicle was over 11yrs old with the mileage well under the 150,000k's, and no evidence of the timing belt and other associated parts having been replaced at the 10 yr mark. So I had the timing belt, water pump and bearings changed and used Toyota coolant. This cost was around $1,000 and the was work done by my mechanic.

I also had the auto-transmission serviced as the transmission fluid was black. The transmission had never been serviced as the original gaskets were still present. I'm from old school where transmissions need to be serviced regularly, not lifetime free service. This work was done by Auto transmission place.

Since owning the vehicle, I've had no problems of any major faults. As I only do low mileage, around 6,000k's per year of inner Sydney driving of start/stopping, with the occasional long drive of around 160k's. The vehicle is serviced regularly every 6 months, and I'm using Valvoline Engine Armour 15W-40 Synthetic oil.

Most common problem with the 1mz engine is the valve cover gaskets perishing and leaking. Because the way the engine sits in the bay, the rear gasket is usually the first to go. I am about to replace mine and its done 125k.

Isn't 15/40 a bit thick? I'm using 5/50 Mobil 1 atm. But my engine gets pushed quite a bit harder though.

Isn't the CSi the 5SFE? Or are you looking at the CSi V6?

The 5s from memory is prone to sludging.

MCV20R implies the V6

I've just hit 360,000kms in my 98 V6 so I can vouch for the reliability of the engine. Had it since 215,000ks and no engine problems to report yet except starter motor.