Clutch adj. and gear selector cable work done!

After lengthy period of complaining, I've had my clutch re-adjusted and gear selector cables completely replaced by Lexus in Indooroopilly and I must say I'm stoked with the outcome! :D

I don't know which did the job, but the gearbox is completely different from before!

The notchy shifts, especially from 1-2 and 2-3 is all but gone now and even at high revs, 1-2 shift goes in silky smooth! I tried hitting lift once and was absolutely shocked at how smooth it was. I thought the quality of my gear shifts before was normal but clearly it wasn't. Gear shifts are so seamless now that it almost feels like the car has become more powerful, which makes sense since I'm not losing as much momentum during gear shifts.

All in all, I'm very happy with the job done by Lexus and I may even get my car serviced there from now on. Oh and I should add that Southside Toyota did perform clutch adjustment already before but according to Lexus, the clutch was completely out of spec. Clearly, Southside Toyota doesn't know jack**** as I suspected all along.

However, the clutch pedal height has come up a bit compared to before and biting point is extremely high as well, which I'm still getting used to.

Edited by coladuna

However, the clutch pedal height has come up a bit compared to before and biting point is extremely high as well, which I'm still getting used to.

Your old setting was not necessarily bad. The new one (long travel) would make much easier to slightly burn the clutch in routine maneuvers but obvioulsy is convenient for changing gears and starting smoothy the car. If you do not make many starts uphill will be OK.

I guess the optimum trade-off is difficult to realize in this gearbox.

My experience here is also that garages avoid work on fine adjustments by claiming that the clutch is self-adjustable.

Edited by CTS03

Your old setting was not necessarily bad. The new one (long travel) would make much easier to slightly burn the clutch in routine maneuvers but obvioulsy is convenient for changing gears and starting smoothy the car. If you do not make many starts uphill will be OK.

I guess the optimum trade-off is difficult to realize in this gearbox.

My experience here is also that garages avoid work on fine adjustments by claiming that the clutch is self-adjustable.

Previous setting was bad in every way. It always resulted in jerky shifts, unless I gave it some revs during shifts, which wears down the clutch.

I don't see how it would make it easier to burn the clutch? After driving it for a couple of days, I'm now comletely used to it and there's absolutely no difference in terms of wearing out the clutch. The only difference is that it's like driving a completely different car now.