2003 sr5 dual cab

silloette

hi, i recently purchased a 2003 sr5 v6 dual cab hilux.

we purchased the vehicle in adelaide, it came with a full service history and drives great. but on the way home 400k trip it went thru nearly a whole tank of petrol..this cant be normal im sure.

i have never owned a 4x4 in my life so am a newbie to the 4x4 world.

its a 5 speed manual and the 4x4 stick was in high with the 4x4 button not activated and im sure it has to be in this position to travel using the normal drive gears..?

just unsure on why it would chew this much fuel??

Hi, I have a 2001 SR5 dual cab but it is Turbo Diesel with 125,000km. I get around 480 driving around town and up to 550km on long trips and that isn't to an empty tank, about 50lt. It doesn't really go over 110km/h (Not that we can down here!)

What octane fuel are you using?

How do you drive, accelerate hard or slowly build up speed?

What was the road like, straight so you could stick to your speed or hills and corners so your constantly slowing and speeding up?

Good choice of car by the way, no way will I ever get rid of my Hilux :)

Edited by (mr2)
  • Like 1

Get use to it mate, the (5VZFE) 3.4 litre V6 was never a power house 124kW of power at 4600rpm and 291Nm of torque at 3600rpm,but in its day it was o.k. As its e10 compatible I,d be inclined to run something like United 95 in it ,forget about using premium 98 that,ll only lighten your wallet for next to no gains.

What will find is it will be bullet proof,probably out live you,drive it for what it is and find a happy medium where its happy to cruise along all day and in return give you good economy,say 95-100kp/h instead of forcing it along to maintain 110-115kp/h (I,m not saying this is the case ),but given time you will sort that out.

A neighbour had one with a 2.8 TD in it,and it looked absolutely smick with just a set of sunraysia,a on it :toast:

hi, i recently purchased a 2003 sr5 v6 dual cab hilux.

we purchased the vehicle in adelaide, it came with a full service history and drives great. but on the way home 400k trip it went thru nearly a whole tank of petrol..this cant be normal im sure.

i have never owned a 4x4 in my life so am a newbie to the 4x4 world.

its a 5 speed manual and the 4x4 stick was in high with the 4x4 button not activated and im sure it has to be in this position to travel using the normal drive gears..?

just unsure on why it would chew this much fuel??

Hi jamie,welcome to the forum mate,I use to own the same model hilux and is arguely the best model hilux ever made.

The 3.4 V6 can a little bit thirsty,but isnt too bad by petrol standards,mine use get about 600 kms on a trip and around the 500 mark around town,which the diesel models were not much better on fuel,

My hilux was cab chassis which from memory had 77 litre tank and yours being a dual cab only had 66 litre tank so your fuel figures dont seem that bad ,I use to find BP 91 octane use to give me the best economy and power ,I use to find using 95 or 98 didnt really give any better economy or power than normal 91 unleaded.

Mine use to go quiet well,it lacked a bit of torque at lower revs, butonce the engine was in its power band it went great,and the best way to get the best to get the economy is to accelerate in the engines power band which from memory is around 2500 to 3500 RPM,reving it past 3500 will offer little benfit to performance and will only kill your economy,when driving on the open road I use to find sticking to the speed limit will give you the best economy in the hilux,which in NSW is between 100 to 110 kmh.

The 3.4 is a very reliable engine and is not uncommon for these engines to do 300 or 400 thousand without a rebuild,if looked after and had regular servicing,the rest of the hilux is also pretty reliable and is well built.

The 3.4 V6 is no power house these days but when it came out it bettered the triton and navaras V6 engines,for torque.

The 4wd stick on mine was in the N position,but in not sure,but on the sr5 im not sure ,I would of thought it would have be in the N position on the road,but someone with a SR5 will clarify what position the lever has to be in.

• 2 months later...

The 4wd stick on mine was in the N position,but in not sure,but on the sr5 im not sure ,I would of thought it would have be in the N position on the road,but someone with a SR5 will clarify what position the lever has to be in.

Hey guys, i drive a 2002 SR5 Hilux Dual Cab 2,7L 4x4.

The 4x4 gear knob should sit in the "H" possition when normal driving. As that will give you high range when cruising normally. If you want High range 4x4, all you have to do is push the button on the side, and if you want low range (which is only an option for 4x4) you just pull it back to "L". If kept in neutral "N" the car will be in that gear "Neutral" and wont go anywhere.

But anyway i get about 400kms to a tank city driving and if its all on the freeway it is normally 450-500kms. Not wonderful fuel economy, but for a little 4-cylinder engine pulling about 2 tonne of vehicle, it does quite well. Ive owned her for about a year and a half now, and since then ive dropped the oil a few times and changed air, oil and fuel filters and it has never needed any work what so ever, Hilux's are worth the money.