Engine Cover

GReddy_ES

actually im pretty sure mate that the engine cover is JUST for looks you dont NEED to have the engive covered at all times, if at all

just looks more tidy in the engine bay with a cover thats all

so just take it off aslong as no water gets in there (still not a good idea even with an engine cover) you will be fine mate

hi guys..

was just wondering if we could just remove the engine cover to respray(DIY) it?can we like use plastic sheets or cling wrap even to cover the expose area while respraying the coveR?

cheers

It can be done...I've done mine and it was easy!!!

Just take the engine cover off, clean it, dry it and spray paint it with matching color! And let it dry overnight and put it back on the next day.

Here's one done earlier :P :P :P

post-792-1131185721_thumb.jpg

hi guys..

was just wondering if we could just remove the engine cover to respray(DIY) it?can we like use plastic sheets or cling wrap even to cover the expose area while respraying the coveR?

cheers

It can be done...I've done mine and it was easy!!!

Just take the engine cover off, clean it, dry it and spray paint it with matching color! And let it dry overnight and put it back on the next day.

Here's one done earlier :P :P :P

that's very neat. What method did u use to cover the logo and the vvti man? The only thing that made me cbf doing it is the masking taping.

cool..nicely done bro..oh..one more thing..so there won't be any oil seeping arnd..cams,pistons popping out from anywhere?its just the cover that will come off by itself?

actually im pretty sure mate that the engine cover is JUST for looks you dont NEED to have the engive covered at all times, if at all

just looks more tidy in the engine bay with a cover thats all

so just take it off aslong as no water gets in there (still not a good idea even with an engine cover) you will be fine mate

cool..nicely done bro..oh..one more thing..so there won't be any oil seeping arnd..cams,pistons popping out from anywhere?its just the cover that will come off by itself?

Nah dude...when you take the engine cover off that's it! It's just the cover that comes off. You don't have to worry about any leaking or any exposed pistons etc!

The engine cover is plastic so just wash, clean, dry and spray paint it.

I used a masking tape to cover the Toyota sign and the VVT-i logos. Then just use a stanley knife to go around the egdes. Then spray paint it.

Cheers

In_D_Major

HAS anyone actually tried painting the rocker cover itself? Would be quite a task taking it off.

Paint it red like the Honda Type R engines :)

I think that'd be bordering on rice.... I remember in the 90's when all the rage with rotaries was to paint the chambers to match the car.... some even went to lengths of chrome and carbon fibre....

What's wrong with that Azza??? :P

For those interested I have made contact with a company up here in Brisbane who can make your engine cover look like carbon fibre with an assortment of colours etc. The choices are endless!!

Cost wise your looking at about 350 - 400 but if enough people are interested the price will come down a fair bit as told by the guy that I know there.

All interested parties PM me your interest and we'll get the ball rolling. :D

the thing is..i dun think my engine cover is a plastic cover..its a metal part..i'm driving a 1999 corolla.unlike the new ones u guys are driving..

Nah dude...when you take the engine cover off that's it! It's just the cover that comes off. You don't have to worry about any leaking or any exposed pistons etc!

The engine cover is plastic so just wash, clean, dry and spray paint it.

the thing is..i dun think my engine cover is a plastic cover..its a metal part..i'm driving a 1999 corolla.unlike the new ones u guys are driving..

Well, with the older cars, they hardly have whole engine plastic covers unlike todays new cars.

So you probably talking about the actual rocker cover, which is yeah as i said, quite difficult to take off if you dont know what your doing.

well..it actually seems easy to take out..but the thing is..i'm not sure wads directly under it..i mean..i know theres the pistons and cams..but whether or not they're exposed and how i shld go about covering them up and stuff is still a big ?? to me..haaha

Well, with the older cars, they hardly have whole engine plastic covers unlike todays new cars.

So you probably talking about the actual rocker cover, which is yeah as i said, quite difficult to take off if you dont know what your doing.

if you've got a 7afe, it's not to hard to remove the cam cover.

remove the plug leads, undo the coach nuts that hold it down, pry it up from some of the non-gasket facing spots with a flatblade screwdriver.

Clean, paint, install with a dab of RTV silicon in the corners of the rubber gasket and a little under each coach nut.

Will look a little like this with the cover off, only it will have the cams and gears in place...

post-20-1131415960.jpg

wow thanks rollamods!..thats great!..can start work on it right after exams..cool..

if you've got a 7afe, it's not to hard to remove the cam cover.

remove the plug leads, undo the coach nuts that hold it down, pry it up  from some of the non-gasket facing spots with a flatblade screwdriver.

Clean, paint, install with a dab of RTV silicon in the corners of the rubber gasket and a little under each coach nut.

Will look a little like this with the cover off, only it will have the cams and gears in place...

post-20-1131415960.jpg

The coating I'm talking about is photo realistic and is not a spray can job. This stuff actually looks like carbon fibre and the majority of people cannot tell the difference. This is the same company that does the woodgrain dash kits you see in some cars as well.

They can coat just about anything with just about any sort of pattern/colour.

Anybody for a snake skin engine cover??? :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if anyone had mentioned this mate but i suggest u get a can of degreaser just to be safe clean the covers and wat ever else u are wanting to paint then wash it very thoroughly with water dry spray with a "plastic primer" first then spray your colour let dry and then spray a clear coat just to protect the paint!!! :D