New Owner - Tips Request

rovkxs

hello all!

we just got our 2013 KXS.

can someone please provide some tips/guidance on the following:

1. leather & paint protection - we did not take the expensive dealer interior/exterior protection so, what is the best way to protect and maintain the seat's leather as well as the paint?

2. spare tyre - read some forums that kluger's spare wheel/tyre are easily stolen so we bought a 2nd hand 19" alloy wheel and replaced our spare tyre. is there any way of protecting /locking it? the spare tyre was just secured with a steel/metal/ wire/cord.

3. tyre pressure should be @ 40psi?

4. accessories - would it be good to have the bonnet and head lamp protector?

we're thinking of getting the cross bar rail and put a tray or a pod on it for extra storage, but looking for more cost effective soln than the dealership offered.

the kluger runs well and we loved it! any other tips please?

Hi

Congratulations on your new purchase , ive had my new one for 23 days now and love it greatly!.Im interested in hearing the response to your answers as well.

Dan .......

Congrats bro on your new kluger.

My little experience on leather on my previous car. Since its new straight away apply leather protector. If its dirty then clean it and apply and reapply once a month. After a year and a half it still looks like brand new leather albeit slight wrinkles. As for my current kluger fabric I applied scothguard.

New paint nothing much to worry. Clean your car and apply a layer of prewax then a layer of sealant and final layer carnauba wax. It should last u couple of months provided you wash your car regularly. Wash at least once every two weeks. For me if weather permits I'll wash every week. Wax at least every 2 months or once a month(repeat sealant and final wax some advise wax then sealant but for me sealant n wax is good) use mothers product buy from supercheapauto cheaper than autobahn. To avoid road tar, bug, dust, tree saps stuck on the paint.

As for spares mine I'm not too sure if we can lock it or not. Mine still on 17inch.

I'm on 40psi too. So far gave me best mileage. If you do alot of freeways then 40psi is good. If you go tassie I advise 35psi. Lol

Accessories sidestep is good for my son, tow bar is a must just in case although so far I tow once only in one year and to protect yourself incase someone rear end you. And nudge bar good for no front parking sensor.

One more thing to add. Apply rainX to all glass area including your side mirrors. You will appreciate it when it rains. And protect from water mark for at least 4-5years. Serious one bottle can last u yearssss.

After all your hardwork on paint protection and rainX splash some water on the bonnet and check out the water beading. Enjoy bro.

Edited by tpl

Also dashboard and door trims protector. It looks darker color once u applied gives u more upmarket feel. Whether it really protect or not I have no idea.

And today is my first year anniversary for my kluger. Looks better than a brand new kluger. Brand new car been transported from Japan to kangaroo land it's been exposed to harsh weather, car yard, sun and rain, sea, etc.

Gongrats on purchasing a great motor vehicle. I bet you love driving it :-)

1. leather & paint protection

The number one question with this subject is it garaged? How often will it be parked out in the weather?
I am not into leather seats in cars but i'm sure there are plenty of products on the market for them. Keep them clean and apply preserving oil and it should be ok unless it is out in the weather 24/7. There would be others here with opinions on this for you.

Finish.. I like my cars to still have that new look 10 years later... here is what I do.

The best thing without argument for finish is a garage.

If it parked outside then nothing will beat the elements no matter how much energy and money you throw at it.
I wash mine about 2-3 times a year as I believe the more you fiddle and grind away at the paint finish the worse it becomes. I don't drive on dirt roads here and don't go bush bashing. Being a tall vehicle it does not seem to get as dirty as much as a regular sedan.

When I wash it I use a good quality car shampoo with a built in wax agent. I go over it once with the suds then let it dry a little to loosen any bugs etc then go over it again then a thorough hose off and chamois. I purchased a very soft broom and it is the best for doing this with especially the roof area.

If you use the automated car washers then don't bother worrying about your car finish.

Leave polishing for as long as you can... may not need it for 3-4 years... depending on how and where the car is used (no crystal ball here) all you may need is a good protective product and not a cutting type polish.

The internal and external plastics... shock horror... I use the stuff they flog at go-lo and reject shop. I find it works very well and does the same job. I give the plastics a going over once a year and that maintains their new appearance.

For me the aim is to keep the car looking as new for as long as possible.
You see some cars that have had their finish over polished and it looses that original look.

2. spare tyre
I only found out about this today myself so will be looking into some way of locking it.

3. tyre pressure should be @ 40psi?
Yes. Always check them after dealer service. Last service I had they put 60 psi in all of them.

4. accessories - would it be good to have the bonnet and head lamp protector?
Personally no. A waste of money. The headlights already have a plastic cover and would be cheaper to replace than the ridiculously priced protectors. Bonnet protector only protects the leading edge and not the rest of the front of the vehicle. May need one if you tailgate semis on gravel roads otherwise no.
Tow bar is handy.

Weathershields if you like you windows down when it is raining.
Nudge bar...

any other tips please?

It loves good petrol, the best of premium. Shell and Caltex both have 2 premium ulp versions each. Check their websites for which is sold where.
If you got the awd version then you will find it likes a drink, quite the opposite with the 2wd.

I'v had mine for a bit over a year now and can't fault anything at all about it.

It is a very low maintenance vehicle so don't go looking for anything that needs fixing or tightening as there is nothing... so boring that way... lol.

It is a dream to drive. Hope you have many years of pleasure from owning it.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

@ TPL thanks!
Leather protector - any particular brand? I saw bowden's leather love and leather guard online. Has anyone used them before? http://www.bowdensown.com.au/interior-car-care

Exterior - mothers brand steps 1-3, saw it in the internet as well as the RainX.
Dashboard and door trims protector - any particular brand?

Automatic CarWasher - are they not advisable? I heard the machines soft brushes are not good for the exterior.
with our older car, we use both the automatic machine and the coin operated "manual you wash, you soap" kind of stuff ($2 for each cycle - pre wash, soap, rince, etc..)

@ KRX and AVC40R, thanks! - any brand of the shampoo? as for the internal/external plastic, what brand are you using? we prefer cost effective ones. and Yes, the car is garaged.
Thanks for the tips on the bonnet and headlamp protector. We're thinking of getting a towbar few months from now, any suggestions? Toyota will charge heaps so we're looking for someone to buy it/do it from. Im not sure if we can do it ourselves though cause it seems you have to cut-out some portion of the rear bumper (im not sure if im using the right term here).
Fuel - is 91 OK? or should go 98?

Cross Bar and Basket/Tray - plans to get it later. What will be a good brand? I saw Rhino, toyota, etc... on ebay. As for the tray, any brand will do?
I saw this, im not sure if any good though but its surely cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Kluger-Aluminium-Roof-Rack-Basket-Tray-100-x-140-cm-Includes-Cross-Rails-/271179847859?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f239418b3

The rhino roof rack is quite expensive!

Obviously, the roof rack will be used for extra storage, luggage if ever we will use the 3rd seats.

Thanks everyone!

@ TPL thanks!

Leather protector - any particular brand? I saw bowden's leather love and leather guard online. Has anyone used them before? http://www.bowdensown.com.au/interior-car-care

Exterior - mothers brand steps 1-3, saw it in the internet as well as the RainX.

Dashboard and door trims protector - any particular brand?

Automatic CarWasher - are they not advisable? I heard the machines soft brushes are not good for the exterior.

with our older car, we use both the automatic machine and the coin operated "manual you wash, you soap" kind of stuff ($2 for each cycle - pre wash, soap, rince, etc..)

@ KRX and AVC40R, thanks! - any brand of the shampoo? as for the internal/external plastic, what brand are you using? we prefer cost effective ones. and Yes, the car is garaged.

Thanks for the tips on the bonnet and headlamp protector. We're thinking of getting a towbar few months from now, any suggestions? Toyota will charge heaps so we're looking for someone to buy it/do it from. Im not sure if we can do it ourselves though cause it seems you have to cut-out some portion of the rear bumper (im not sure if im using the right term here).

Fuel - is 91 OK? or should go 98?

Cross Bar and Basket/Tray - plans to get it later. What will be a good brand? I saw Rhino, toyota, etc... on ebay. As for the tray, any brand will do?

I saw this, im not sure if any good though but its surely cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Kluger-Aluminium-Roof-Rack-Basket-Tray-100-x-140-cm-Includes-Cross-Rails-/271179847859?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f239418b3

The rhino roof rack is quite expensive!

Obviously, the roof rack will be used for extra storage, luggage if ever we will use the 3rd seats.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Mate,

Welcome to Kluger family and enjoy driving your new Kluger,

I have been driving an AWD Grande for the last 12 months and I have been using U95 in my Kluger with 41PSi on tyres and the feeling is really good. I have tried both U91 and U98 and I felt U 95 is the way to go. (I believe all Klugers are factory tuned for U91 and will get better economy if we use U91)

Also I preferred rubber floor mats over the carpet mat which assists me to easily clean the mats with water always. Most of the time we use automatic no-contact premium car wash from our dealer and the results are amazing. Further i put extra seat covers to protect my leather seats from scratches and it’s really good if you have kids.

Please update us about your Kluger,

Cheers

I dont have a new Kluger but my 2008 still looks new..

Number 1 step as most say keep it in a garage especially at night to avoid getting dew on the paintwork than drying out during the day with dirt in it.

I wash mine every week, not sure about twice a year, musn,t have dust where you are and make sure you chamois off, wash in shady area not full sun. I use Meguires products so Meguires car shampoo.

Polish once a year with Meguires Deep Crystal Polish than use Meguires Canubra wax,, I rewax after 6 months, the polish does not remove paint and the wax protects the polished paintwork and makes it easier to wash and keep marks off. I also polish and wax the rims.

Inside on leather use Meguires leather conditioner. If you use Armour All or similar product on your dash make sure you DONT get on perspex that covers your speedo gauges etc, it will stuff it up eventually.

Anyway that my tips and they seem to work for me.

Towbar is always best slipped into a deal closer before buying for $0.

Best to just shop around for after market as dealer is overpriced as always.

Car wash wax detergent... The one i'm using at the moment is a Turtle Wax brand. No need to go overboard on boutique products. I am using a armourall substitute from reject shop at the moment and find it does just as good a job as the maximum mark up ones.

Auto car washes do not do the job for me and diy is good exercise and you get a better result... I bought a very soft broom and use that with the wash/wax. Being a larger vehicle it is needed.

In another year or so I might give it a coat of protective polish but until then it is not needed.

I aim at protecting the car and keeping it as original as possible. Doing it for looks purposes passed me by when I started to feel the effects of old age .. LOL

My last Toyota was 10 y/o when I sold it and the first thing the buyer said when I took it out of the garage was "showroom" :-)

The hardest thing to avoid is damage... car parks, kids passengers (lol), dealerships/servicing, etc..