Stolen spare tyre - Kluger

John1

Not sure where I stand legally on this one? Is Toyota to blame from poor design and am I entitled to compensation?

Any thoughts..?

You're kidding, right? Is Toyota responsible for someone reaching in behind your grille, popping your bonnet and stealing your battery? How about jacking the car up and stealing your alloy wheels? What about a tailgate-mounted spare wheel?

By all means claim it through your insurance company (that is what car insurance is for, afterall), but in no way is Toyota to blame, and they are more than entitled to laugh in your face if you go into a dealership and ask for financial compensation.

Seems like a reasonable reaction to me Hiro and obviously you haven't had your spare stolen ..yet!. Toyota have got to be kidding, firstly for poor design and then having the hide to charge over $2000 for a replacement rim and tyre..!! Seems a bit expensive wouldn't you think ..? Why isn't there a locking mechanism on the spare..?? What happens when my $2000 replacement tyre is stolen again..?? My Toyota service centre have said that numerous cars have had their spare tyres stolen recently ...so its happening on a regular basis.

Despite the current problem I actually love the Kluger and would definitely buy another. A change in design is definitely required.

No, I don't have an external spare tyre so have never had it stolen (my car was broken-in to twice when my dad owned it though). I understand your annoyance at it being taken, and it sucks, but cursing Toyota for a poor design and expecting compensation are two completely different things. No car is perfect, and when you buy a car you accept certain facets about it, especially a 4WD with an externally-mounted spare tyre (regardless of where the mechanism is). No car is theft-proof, and very few external components of the car are either. Sure, it is something that Toyota could address in their next design planning meeting when they sit down to discuss the new Kluger, but it isn't a recall-worthy issue and may barely even warrant a TSB, so at the end of the day why should they bother? Obviously they are aware of the problem already, so if nothing has been done so far then there is a decent chance it will stay that way.

As for the replacement cost, OEM alloy wheels (I'm assuming it was a full-sized alloy spare at that price) are always hugely expensive compared to aftermarket wheels, regardless of the manufacturer. Factory wheels are often made to more exacting standards and tolerances than an aftermarket wheel, they are usually designed SPECIFICALLY for that car, not just a generic range, and being a 4WD wheel they have to be bigger, tougher and stronger than normal. Are they _worth_ $2k to most people? Hell no, not even close (people sell second-hand sets of stock wheels for tens to hundreds, not thousands), but that is the price to buy a brand new one from Toyota. Since you should be putting this through an insurance claim, why are you even worried about the cost? Let the insurance company sort it out, that is what you pay them $100 a month for.

Its not $100 a month. There is access also involved. $650/per insurance claim

If somebody goes through the effor of stealing a tyre after opening a bonnet then i can understand and is unfortuante.

The thing that makes me sad is there is no way to secure them. Some of the spare tyre which is externally mounted at the back can be secured using a specific nut....

You feel so helpless in this case. Take it from a guy who got the tyre stolen twice in a matter of few weeks.

• Like 2

Temporary fix to prevent theft of spare wheel.

Open the tyre changing compartment and in there you will see a socket.

Remove the winding mechanism cap and place the socket on the winding shaft.

In the tyre changing tools there is a thick long bar with a hook on the end, place that bar through the hoop on top of the socket.

You will not be able to replace the tools cover with the socket and bar this way but the top cover will suffice.

You may need to place something over the socket and bar to prevent it from rattling, ie sponge, rags.

Naturally this will not stop theft from service places. Best to get those place to confirm that it is there when you drop it off so they are liable if it goes missing there.

Spares can be stolen from almost any vehicle, the fact that these are rather attractive and expensive wheels just makes them more prone to the sticky fingered low life scum out there.

This is not Toyota's fault.

Here is an opportunity for some enterprising auto accessory co to make and sell a lock of some sort.

Don't count on Toyota themselves being interested or concerned these days.... !!!!

Cheers folks.

• Like 1

Its not $100 a month. There is access also involved. $650/per insurance claim

I was just generalising - every insurance policy, claim, excess and insurer are different.

Temporary fix to prevent theft of spare wheel.

Open the tyre changing compartment and in there you will see a socket.

Remove the winding mechanism cap and place the socket on the winding shaft.

In the tyre changing tools there is a thick long bar with a hook on the end, place that bar through the hoop on top of the socket.

You will not be able to replace the tools cover with the socket and bar this way but the top cover will suffice.

You may need to place something over the socket and bar to prevent it from rattling, ie sponge, rags.

Naturally this will not stop theft from service places. Best to get those place to confirm that it is there when you drop it off so they are liable if it goes missing there.

Spares can be stolen from almost any vehicle, the fact that these are rather attractive and expensive wheels just makes them more prone to the sticky fingered low life scum out there.

This is not Toyota's fault.

Here is an opportunity for some enterprising auto accessory co to make and sell a lock of some sort.

Don't count on Toyota themselves being interested or concerned these days.... !!!!

Cheers folks.

I agree barney ,this would be a great time for auto accessory manufacturer to design and build a aftermarket lock for the spare,I surprised in this day and age that the kluger doesnt have a locking spare,even if toyota came up with a lock and you had to pay a small amount a money to get the lock fitted,I think most people wouldnt mind if they knew how espensive the spares are,I know you never completly stop theiving mongrels ,but it would stop most of the theft.

I

• Like 1

We can hope that they eventually do something David, even it we pay for it that will be ok.

Note for all...

Don't forget to check your spare whenever you drop the car off anywhere for service or whatever and check it again when you pick it up.

It seems that apart from the random thieving scum that just pinch them, some spares also do go "missing" when the car is left at trusted places.

:-)

• Like 1

Hi

I have 4 genuine 19" Kluger wheels in immaculate cond, no scratches with about 50% tread. You can have them for a $1000 delivered if you like. I just put on 20" Chrome wheels so don't need them.

Thanks Ray

Hot deal Ray @ $250 ea. Have you put them on Gumtree, should sell easy.

Cheers.

No Not yet, not in a rush but if any guys here need them let me know

Hey Guys,

Just joined this forum today after an inconvenient encounter with the toyota dealers. We brought a brand new kluger at the end of last year and now that its been 6months I took it in for service a few days ago. Two days later i took it back in again to get my sports vest cover seats re-fitted. On the same day that afternoon I realised that my spare tire was missing. Gave toyota a call today and they replied with ' we can't seem to find your tyre in the yard'. Now I know that its been a few days from completing the first service but on the receipt it indicates that the spare tyre was checked, but now toyota is telling me that my spare tyre is nowhere to be seen. I didn't inspect the vehicle immediately after the service and neither was i notified by the person handling me on the day that we had a ' missing spare tyre' which was his argument today. Any advise on what can be done?

Any advise on what can be done?

There is not much you can do.

I would go and see the boss of the dealership and report the situation and explain that there is a possibility it may have been taken while it was there. They will deny it and say all their staff are angels etc...

Remember that you have no proof it was taken whilst there.

What is the situation with the winding mechanism, was the wire wound up?

The cover and centre piece are missing too I suppose?

yep so it seems as though the cover piece is missing as well, I only noticed that the spare wheel was missing when i was sitting on the kerb and saw that the wire was wound down, checked the back and the tools had also been misplaced, so im 100% certain that it was dismantled during service, it says on the sheet that i got back after the service that all tyres including the spare wheel pressure readings have been checked.

So whoever took it had access to the inside of the car?

Service centres have a habit of leaving the car outside & unlocked too.

If it was taken at a dealership surely they would have wound the wire back up?

Odd that they took the tools too?

Is the car parked in a secure garage at night?

The last dealership I used for a service said that they do not touch the spare, not to even check the pressure. I'm glad they didn't as they put 60psi in all the others :-(

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

yep, the cars parked secured in the garage, we dont take it out for short trips unless its to drop someone or pick someone up, so from the two days from the service its highly likely that it wasn't stolen, because theirs no signs of damage under the car. If the dealers leave the car unlocked on their premises, I dont think thats the fault of the customer its their responsibility. I found the tools in the wrong place in the boot, sorry should be a bit more clear. I guess I will have to wait and see what the manager has to say on Monday, but I will post the outcome then. Thanks.

• Like 1

There is a set of kluger wheels and tyres for sale on gumtree at the moment.

Its strange that they look like they have never been on the road!!

Update... there are even more...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-parts-accessories/kluger/k0c18323

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

I am the latest victim of this. I also did my service recently at Parramatta Terry shields Toyota and yesterday noticed that there is a wire hanging from my car. When approached Parramatta Terry shields Toyota, immediately they said it should be stolen spare wheel and they have plenty of such reports. When asked how can someone steal it when it is always garaged and there is no break-in to the garage, Toyota customer service member coolly said that it will take only 30 seconds to remove the spare wheel and could be stolen at any mall. She said that it will cost $2600 to replace and suggested to claim through insurance for which I need to pay $500 excess and lose my no claim benefits which I saved for past 10 years.

When I purchased this car, I sold my old Toyota Camry 1999 model with only 128000 kms for $2600. Now I realised that spare tyre for this Kluger is same price as the old car, I sold.

• Like 1

That is typical cant give a damn attitude from the dealership. They are disgraceful.

They admit that they know what is happening but choose to not investigate any further a better method of locking the spare.

It is becoming too much of a co-incidence the number of spares that "disappear" at dealerships??

They have gone to new lengths to earn their nickname "stealerships"........

If you must leave your car anywhere, even a dealership, take a photo of it being in place with your phone when you drop it off.

I tried to find somewhere on the Toyota Australia site where you could email them but none exists. There are the usual phone numbers but with that all you get is some very disinterested party that is looking for a quick way to fob you off. I have made some posts on the Toyota Australia facebook page but no reaction yet.

SAKTHI... Call some wreckers, that may be a cheaper way to find another spare.

There was a guy on gumtree selling a set of 4 that suspiciously have never been on the road for $1300. You would have no trouble selling the other 3 by the looks of it.

The spare needs a chain and a padlock and don't leave the padlock key with the dealer. Any ideas folks?

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

That is typical cant give a damn attitude from the dealership. They are disgraceful.

They admit that they know what is happening but choose to not investigate any further a better method of locking the spare.

It is becoming too much of a co-incidence the number of spares that "disappear" at dealerships??

They have gone to new lengths to earn their nickname "stealerships"........

If you must leave your car anywhere, even a dealership, take a photo of it being in place with your phone when you drop it off.

I tried to find somewhere on the Toyota Australia site where you could email them but none exists. There are the usual phone numbers but with that all you get is some very disinterested party that is looking for a quick way to fob you off. I have made some posts on the Toyota Australia facebook page but no reaction yet.

SAKTHI... Call some wreckers, that may be a cheaper way to find another spare.

There was a guy on gumtree selling a set of 4 that suspiciously have never been on the road for $1300. You would have no trouble selling the other 3 by the looks of it.

The spare needs a chain and a padlock and don't leave the padlock key with the dealer. Any ideas folks?

I would see the manager of the dealership and complain. This should initiate some type of action.

Here is a quick summary of the level of service Ive received at my Toyota dealer in Sydney and what I think of the front line sales service guys..

1. Staff are salesman first. I remember receiving the "up-sell" call during a 30,000 km service and was told my brakes needed changing. After having the brakes checked independently.. I still had 70% on front and rear. In fact, a year has passed and I have only just changed the rear brakes and my car has done 65,000km..!!

2. Staff are trained to tell you there is no problem with the car when there really is ! The sales staff are the first line of defence until you complain to management. example.. I recently informed the service centre that I had clicking noise in the steering shaft. Toyota told me I hadn't...!! Example 2..Toyota tried to charge me for repairs for using E10 fuel which they believe was the reason for the cars poor performance, sluggishness, soft accelerator, high fuel pressure etc..( after only 20,000km).. when I had only used E10 sporadically and despite Toyota recommending E10 as a suitable fuel option.

3. Spare tyre goes missing....they don't want to know about it ,given poor design and ease of access for thieves.

Don't want to sound negative guys because I love the car and am going off topic... It just seems like there is a real lack of support from Toyota at times.

Edited by John1

I don't think you would find anyone here that would disagree with your opinion of Toyota dealerships in general John, especially me. This is just how car yard operate though.

There is the occasional diamond in the rough (David at Newcastle Toyota for one, genuine, interested and gets things fixed) but in general salesmen are just salesmen and are there for you to contend with to get the best deal. If you think they are really nice guys and give a damn about their customers then say hi to the Easter bunny for me.

Service managers are there to shove you through, fob you off with a flimsy excuse, and see you out the door asap. They seem to be experts in belittling and downright rudeness in a subtle way as well.

Anyway... we need a way to lock these spare tyres to prevent theft... Don't expect Toyota to give a damn so see what we can devise. Ideally it would involve something that would also prevent theft by service personnel.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

Hi Kluger owners,

I have the 2012 KX-R, therefore the 17 inch wheels, I read all these reports, therefore I replaced the factory spare with an aftermarket one.... and now the factory new alloy wheel, the new dunlop spare tyre, the spare tyre cover (2 pieces) are in my balcony.

I am selling them to sponsor my accessories spree, any takers ?

As someone mentioned above to get them from dealer will be 2,600, offers welcome. Otherwise I will try gumtree.

Inpection / pick up in Strathfield, NSW, and I can prove I own a Kluger, cheers

Edited by fl360

Hi Jason

Curious... why would anyone replace the original spare with an after market one?

Didn't know there was such a thing as an after market spare wheel for the kluger?

Just a tip for anyone buying another spare privately get some identification from the seller. License, car rego no, etc...

If the seller is genuine then they will not mind giving ID at all.

These hot spares must be going somewhere so don't get caught.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

Hi KX-R & ACV40R,

Because I don't want to be in your situation - getting frustrated because of

1. something that can be easily stolen / (or "mis-handled" by service centres)

2. you never see it during normal driving, or even realise it is there (I mean the covers, alloy, and tyre)

3. you probably never use it.

aftermarket means anything that is not provided by toyota. what I done is

1. get a tyre, for kx-r it is the 245 65 17

2. get a wheel which will fit the kluger, and the spare cavity under the car

3. make sure the wheel's bore size will fit the spare anchor, the aftermarket wheel's standard 75.1mm will fit.

now I think I probably need to move house in the coming year, therefore less to move is better, so I am selling them

and of course I can prove that I am the owner.

any offers welcome. you can also come to pick it up from my work which is XXXXX Toyota ;-)

(note I don't work at XXXXX Toyota, that was a joke).

Edited by fl360

look, I think you need to take a step back and look at the whole situation, in this case you might actually have time to enjoy the car.

the fact is

1. you need a spare to go with your car, either factory or aftermarket

2. it can be easily stolen, and according to your method you can somehow deter others from un-winding it from outside... but it will have noises and rattles along the way and this is not the location where the tools are designed to be. And nothing will stop whoever have keys to take the spare, and this applies to any car, not just Kluger.

so I choose the easy way out, just to put a cheap aftermarket spare and so no one will take it. and when I really need the spare, 99% it will be there.

and I decide to get some cash by selling the factory spare, why is it so hard to believe ?

I have an aftermarket Sat Nav installed, and I believe it is heaps better than factory. Not all things factory is the best, and that's why some people buy Cooper tires....

Hi guys, on my Kluger I bent a steel plate up and fitted it using existing bolts and nuts on the car so you cant turn the pulley under car. and then lowered the spare wheel down half way and used a chain, and lock,- to go inside the wheel and the body of car, and then pulled back up, you cant see the chain or lock.

maybe this might slow the crims down. "But not stop them"

cheers John

look, I think you need to take a step back and look at the whole situation, in this case you might actually have time to enjoy the car.

who says we don't?

the fact is

1. you need a spare to go with your car, either factory or aftermarket

2. it can be easily stolen, and according to your method you can somehow deter others from un-winding it from outside... but it will have noises and rattles along the way what noises and rattles???? and this is not the location where the tools are designed to be I own the car so I put things where I like. And nothing will stop whoever have keys to take the spare, and this applies to any car, not just Kluger. not if it has a chain & a padlock or the spare is not there.

so I choose the easy way out, just to put a cheap aftermarket spare and so no one will take it. and when I really need the spare, 99% it will be there.

just one of the alternatives, don't be upset if people don't choose your suggestion. it is still very easy for someone to get a free tyre even if the rim is so-so.

and I decide to get some cash by selling the factory spare, why is it so hard to believe ?your choice but you would get 1/10th of its value.

I have an aftermarket Sat Nav installed, and I believe it is heaps better than factory. Not all things factory is the best, and that's why some people buy Cooper tires.... again your opinion. this thread is about ways to secure the spare better not lifestyle choices. your solution is appreciated but may not be preferred by others. if you are selling the spare wheel from your car to make some $$$ then times must be tough?

hi i have a 2010 kxr kluger its a beautiful car to drive its a little heavy on fuel but i didnt buy it for fuel economy. i bought the car new and recently had it serviced by a toyota dealersship service centre my spare wheel was there when it was serviced . a week later i discovered the spare wheel missing so i rung the service centre and asked them did they have my wheel since you can only access the spare wheel winder from the inside of the car they said they didnt have it and i was the third customer with a kluger that has complained about it and he would ring me back and did not long after to tell me it can be accessed from underneath the car and the wheel cant be locked like the prado and rav 4 the wheel and cover from toyota is worth 2100 dollars so he told me. I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem ive contacted toyota australia and complained only to be told to claim it on insurance when their product is faulty and cant secure the wheel . i have made a shroud to go over the winch which doesnt efect your warranty toyota australia know its a design fault and wont do a thing to fix the problem i verry upset with toyota australia .