Camry/Aurion Towbar

Kinezo

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light regarding the 2006-2011 Genuine Camry Towbar?

It appears to me that the genuine Camry Towbar is exactly the same as the Aurion's, with minor modifications. As the Aurion has dual exhaust mufflers, I think the only thing that is different is the exhaust hanger rod from one of the Towbar assembly plates. The passenger side is missing.

It'll only take 2 minutes to weld a bent rod onto the assembly plate to hang the left muffler, and it seems that the Camry Towbar is more common in used sales ;)

Is anyone able to confirm this?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, just posting for anyone who may want to know:

I just finished welding and installing the genuine Camry tow bar to a 07 Aurion ATX.

The Camry tow bar is the same as the Aurion, however the Camry tow bar is missing the passenger side exhaust hanger.

As the Aurion has two mufflers, two bent bolts/rods welded in place will do the job.

Everything else bolts up exactly the same.

Edited by Kinezo

• 9 years later...

Hello all,

I have some done some searching on the topic of towbars for the Aurion Touring 2010 - 2011.  I actually have two of these.  A silver one and a grey.  I love these cars. I need to put a towbar on at least one.  From the research I have done it seems you have to cut out a bit of the lower valance or rear bumper for the towbar to fit.  Then I saw one the other day as it flashed past in the traffic and it appeared to exit under the bumper and rise up, hence no cut in bumper.  Was I seeing things ? Or is there one available that fits like that.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Edited by bradp51

I cannot give a definite answer but I mainly recall seeing towbars fitted with a cutout to the rear bumper.

I have previously seen towbars fitted to Aurions in the wreckers but too much effort [for me] to remove them and then fit.

You want to make certain that you fit a quality heavy duty towbar to make it worthwhile.

Attached fitting instructions will give you an idea of what is involved. 

Aurion_Towbar_Fitting_Instructions.pdf.PdfCompressor-894150.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 7:15 PM, bradp51 said:

From the research I have done it seems you have to cut out a bit of the lower valance or rear bumper for the towbar to fit.

This is correct for a factory fitted towbar.  I also believe that would be the standard fitting practice as it allows for a better ground clearance.

The one you saw that comes in under the bumper without the cut out, will for sure, have less ground clearance, especially when leaving or entering a banked driveway. It will hit for sure unless the vehicle has been raised to compensate.

On 12/6/2022 at 5:51 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

This is correct for a factory fitted towbar.  I also believe that would be the standard fitting practice as it allows for a better ground clearance.

The one you saw that comes in under the bumper without the cut out, will for sure, have less ground clearance, especially when leaving or entering a banked driveway. It will hit for sure unless the vehicle has been raised to compensate.

Thanks for that.  Looks like I will just have to get one that cuts the bumper. 🙂