2001 Toyota Mark II JZX110: IR-V Fortuna Yamaha

cam_mac

Update:

Intake done. Well nearly... I still need to get a custom fabbed box around it to avoid too much attention later. Also need to re-do the vacuum line from the new BOV with proper silicone hosing and route it under the car. When the box is all done it can be dismantled and painted to match - gloss black piping and wrinkle black around the box. Also going to install a custom BCS to my strut bar and re-paint that while everything else is getting painted. anyway that's later on... at least its ready for the tune.

Basically I wanted everything hard plumbed and wanted the intake as far from the exhaust mani as possible. as the inlet pipe to the tomei is only 2 inch or something, we just ran a reducer from the intercooler piping. New Blow off valve is a (plumback) Plazmaman 38mm outlet BOV and is situated under the drivers side headlight through the air vent - easy adjustment but hidden from obvious unwanted attention. The outlet is also hard plumbed. A fitting was installed in case I want to run a catch can later on.

So first drive - damn it fluttered. And loud as a mofo. The vacuum setup was the wrong way around. We changed that up and barely any flutter now - but the BOV is still as loud as a mofo. It wants to stall everytime after the BOV goes off - the tune will sort that out. It also runs a little bit worse now, not as responsive and loud induction noise too. Sitting in 4th at about 2000rpm and it sounds a little bit like a rotor with the slightest touch on the throttle. So driving it right now is not that enjoyable as such... Time will tell if this kind of setup pays off.

Interested to hear all your opinions of this... Im kind of relying on my fabricators advice and knowledge with previous vvti 1J's. Oh and if your all wondering - the exhaust mani cover needs to go back on. Not sure where it is... But hey at least you can see the Tomei snail in all its glory now.

Pics pics

11511223673_d5b9bf78c3_b.jpg

11511226253_21fdfb3138_b.jpg

11511197156_969c063b0b_b.jpg

11511124255_3b0bd6ccf0_b.jpg

11511158844_9eb5f12d7c_b.jpg

11511229323_971778ff0c_b.jpg

11511201466_6925637db7_b.jpg

11511174054_c3acc6a260_b.jpg

11511139885_327fc79d8e_b.jpg

11511167714_7946925245_b.jpg

11511134075_dc3a28aaa8_b.jpg

11511162174_17604812f9_b.jpg

11511202616_eb1838879d_b.jpg

God i love seeing your updates! always mouthwatering :D

Cant wait to see this machine in the flesh again mate fast becomming my fav car on toca :toast:

Ahh thanks luke! I think that's a bit of an overstatement haha but appreciated. A lot of time and effort and planning involved into this... How's your back mate?

Not much more will happen until the tune in January - finally I'll learn the cars fate! But I do have a couple of other minor mods to do before then.

Cusco underbody rear brace to install and an oil filter re-location kit to install when it arrives.

Chucked on the Cusco underbody rear brace today. Pretty darn easy - except one hole didn't line up at all. It was about half an inch out... Crazy. Just filed it back and it worked all good. The spacer plates that cusco supply are big enough to conceal this anyway.

First drive - definitely a whollllle lot better. The rear end just feels a lot stronger now and when I throw it into a corner, it powers out a lot better. Really want to test it all out.

Next mod in a few days - relocating the oil filter. Then tune. Running out of cash nowadays so doing a few small things to keep my modifying urge at bay.

Pics of underbody rear brace:

11562178264_37c0cc7643_b.jpg

11562280146_30feed3b21_b.jpg

11562285853_36396e54fd_b.jpg

11562295103_7f6668f10c_b.jpg

11562142385_37a69e0743_b.jpg

11562274663_9f8ecef298_b.jpg

Now that's an update, plenty of work going on there ;) Looks like you lost a bit of ground clearance with the Cusco bracing, any issues?

Cheers. No problems with clearance! ive never had any issues even after installing the coily's. To be fair, i havnt set the suspension up properly just yet. When i get my wheels on, i'll set it up right.

In other news, finally sorted out the TV tuner issue. New software installation - for the Australian region and happy days! This is a bit of **** factor for the car... although will come in handy over the next 5 days of the Sydney cricket test.

11705257075_d6c464ee00_b.jpg

oh man this is one clean mark 2, wat are the chances of finding one this clean, in a manual gearbox aswell??

very very nice indeed :clap:

thanks mate. I am satisfied now the motor is all sorted out. feels like a brand new car with how immaculate it is - and all the new suspension/engine etc etc.

Nice, now you just need the English buttons and the nav sorted (although the chances of that are slim to none I reckon)

Done! the software I downloaded for the tv stuff is based on Australian so that's all good. The standard emv system is still jap - but I only use that screen for tv and climate control and that's it. the screen down the bottom is my navigation/cd player - so that's all good there too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

update

The frustration continues... and my patience has pretty much run out - long story to that, but basically it comes down to a serious lack of communication to myself even though ive been chasing for updates. The pricing also seems to keep going up... but I wont go there.

Car got some dyno time today just to see how its all going - no 'tuning' as such. The intention was to tune to 98 today. But it was discovered that I am lacking fuel pressure at 22-24psi and it is first noticeable at 19psi. The car made 280rwkw on 98 at 19psi. Both myself and tuner think a safe conservative level on 98 will be 300rwkw - but we need to sort out the fuel pressure issue.

Tuner threw in some e85 to see how it would respond to the fuel pressure. Its simply not performing. It's only getting 325rwkw on 22psi but doesn't seem to want to go any further as there is a serious lack of fuel getting to the engine. Tuner has said that the engine seems very very happy and is expecting powerful results, but the fuel pressure is holding everything back at the moment on 98 and e85.

So... back to the drawing board. I have the Walbro 400lph fuel pump (F9000262) at the moment. Thinking of getting rid of that and putting in the Walbro 450lph pump (F9000267). and YES this will fit the jzx110 cradle with modification. I don't know what my tuner did, but has fit the 400lph fuel pump nicely but did tell me it was a ***** to do. So this will be a straight swap and may hopefully allow a little more fuel flow.

Fuel rail is a sard racing rail for jzx110, fuel reg is sard, and injectors are ID1000's.

In regards to everything else - all is good. Drive by wire is all sorted, cam control sorted, all electronics working nicely, lambda control working. So that's all positive - its just finding out the best way to overcome this fuel pressure issue and most cost effective. Tuner was mentioning some options about custom fuel systems but I am so broke and cannot afford that, so I think best option would be to go the slightly bigger fuel pump that should just drop straight into my modified cradle now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So final tune complete. Will go back in a month after I start driving the car and let them know whats going on. Tomei actuator was restricting boost - going to look into getting a different wastegate. Going to do a couple of other minor things that should help bump up the figure a little bit. Only issue that has come out of this that still needs to be fixed is that the traction control light is always flashing regardless of whether its on or off. But the guys are going to write some firmware for the ecu to get this to operate as factory.

How does it drive? Hard to say... ****** down rain. A lot of wheel spin haha. Seems pretty smooth - a little bit of a jolt in the car when full boost is backed off the accelerator. Ill know a lot more when its dry and I can get some good driving into it. Cold start idle seems pretty good, might need to tweak that a little bit. Engine sounds a lot different now too... different note to it.

Didn't get dyno videos - will do when I return there in about a months time. Now time for the dyno graph.

341.8rwkw - 570nm torque. Im pretty happy with that power curve and torque line. Shows a good smooth response. Time to **** drive and enjoy!

12846950763_9f972332a9_c.jpg

• Like 3

still very wet on the roads today but managed to get about an hours time on the dry road. and god damn... power and response is so awesome. If I floor it hard - it certainly does want to spin, so I need to adapt. Some cars on the road seriously couldn't believe what they were seeing.

turbo sounds awesome spooling up, BOV sounds epic at full boost now. The tune is pretty smooth. There are a few times when it does get a little jolt at low rev's - see what they can do about it. Taking off - no dramas. Cold start was a little ****ty today, but generally pretty good.

Finally got around to fitting my rear boot carbon strut brace too. This arrived in the first week of January but obviously didn't get it in because the tuner had it. Good neat fit. Solid, and hopefully ill feel the full benefits on the track. Starting to prepare the car ready for the track. Just had to remove the boot linings, and cut a 50x50mm hole in the plastics so it would be a neat finish around the brace.

12874489853_d6c24e26c5_c.jpg

12874486283_969f012ff6_c.jpg

12874401295_6476fc0d50_c.jpg

12874480733_cec7650a39_c.jpg

12874820074_9823ec2432_c.jpg

That's some seriously nice figures your getting on the dyno!

Every mod you have done to this machine has been first class Cam, still my fave modded car on the forum :toast:

It's gotta be puttin a big smile on ya face by now :D

haha thanks for the kind words mate. It certainly does make me happy!

Only bits and pieces to do now really (in the whole spectrum of things).

itching to get to the track now!

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped the car into the workshop today to get the rest of the fab work done. Getting the air filter enclosed to avoid unwanted attention! Also having my mishimoto baffled catch can installed (pics below). Oil filter re-location kit is also being fitted. A few other things being tidied up and im also removing my spark plug cover and cam covers to get them done finally! Engine bay is getting there...

Removing the Tomei Actuator and will take to GCG turbos and have a bigger pre-load spring installed so we can get a little more boost out of it. Only at 24psi at the moment. With my engine build, hoping it will run 26-28psi comfortably. See how the tomei likes it. Tomei claim they wound up to 27psi on that 506hp 1j FD s13. Probably go for a 1bar pre-load spring. Tuner thinks the tomei one is probably .6bar pre-load.

Last but not least, my new exhaust manifold is also being made as we speak and I should have it by the end of the next week. Busy busy time - getting this all done and final tune to be done just before Toyota nationals. Hopefully i'll make it there.

Catch Can:

13321362043_d0ae97b9c8_c.jpg

13321195225_52efe066f3_c.jpg

13321350883_442c34e053_c.jpg

13321183785_ee3aa6781f.jpg

Oil Filter Relocation Mount:

13321191195_8d22078ce5_c.jpg

Also, did a little shop today for when the car is back from fabricator. Fresh oil, fresh gearbox oil, fresh diff oil. Decided to do another 3000kms on HPR15 before making the full switch to 10 tenths 10w-40.

13321401823_fa34426cfa_c.jpg

• Like 1