Mobile speed camera, will I get busted (video provided)

ben yip

I might be getting caught for speeding doing 115 in a 110 zone, looking at the following video

What do you think?

The road changes from 100 to 110, and a mobile speed camera is waiting for you. There is no warning sign in advance.. I find it very sneaky, I hope I am not getting busted..

Although it is only 1 point and 105 dollars, that is ridiculous.. 115 on a 110 right after the sign changed from 100 to 110

Location is hume highway after m5 near cambelltown, camera flashed at 0:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3pWfDbvHI

Edited by ben yip

It nearly looks like it got the car in front of you (even though the view from your camera makes it look otherwise). If it got you, damn your speed cameras must be sensitive. I've driven past ones here in QLD at a GPS indicated speed of 5km/h over with no issue... and I am sure my GPS speed is accurate going by the ticket I received the other day.

• Like 1

Look at where the car in front is in relation to the lane-markings. When the flash goes off it looks like the car and the camera are level but if you check the lane markings the other car is probably ~20m (3 lane dividers) before the camera.

According to the numbers on the camera feed you're doing 112-113 when the flash goes off. At that time it looks like you and the other car are going roughly the same speed, but after the flash he slows down substantially which makes me think it got pinged rather than you

Saying there is no warning sign in front is hard to prove though, since the mobile ones only have that little ~0.5m tall hutch sign that they place on the roadside just before the camera to warn you, it isn't like the big shiny 3 signs before a fixed camera.

• Like 1

isnt there some sort of error thing ?

like 10% or something?

10% error @110km/h would completely eliminate the lowest-level speeding fine (0-10 over) :P

or rather 3km/hr over the limit.

I think the 3km/h error margin went out the door in NSW a few years ago when they changed the wording of the lowest bracket from <10km/h over to 0-10km/h over. It is against new ADRs for speedos to read over at all anyway (and most cars on the roads these days would have been made to those ADRs). Most cops etc use discretion in the first place, no point wasting time pulling someone over for a momentary 2km/h lapse of judgment when they could ping someone for 15-20 over. Obviously mobile/fixed cameras (which don't have human operators) are a different story though

• Like 1

Definitely looks like the car in front - unless NSW is substantially different to QLD they are designed to take a photo from the rear of the vehicle as there is less interference from headlights, and because motorcycles are only required to have rear number plates.

• Like 2

Steve makes a valid point, it's the car in front.... As if they would point the camera back down the road and use a flash @ oncoming traffic.......

but the fact that you seen it 2 seconds ahead of you and didn't even bother to hit ya brakes baffles me.

They guy in front knew he'd been flashed.... he slowed down all be it too late and after the fact. But you kept cannon balling down the road :P

You look like you were around 3kmh over taking into account of sat lag.

Did you see a flash off to your left as you past the radar car? if not then your obviously 100% ok....... if ya did...... well just like Trent said... you gotta change your driving style mate.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

I know it's from QLD not NSW, but it is an interesting read. They are able to capture cars travelling in either direction due to new filters.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resources/Internet/services/reportsPublications/bulletin/325/documents/page%2028_Smile%20youre%20on%20speed%20camera_1.pdf

• Like 1