2010 Aurion Tail light mod 101

Defyant

Thought i'd chuck this up here since it's aurion specific.

I thought it sucked how only half the tail lights light up when you put the brakes on. Decided it was time to do something about it.

The mod im doing is to the aftermarket Thai Hybrids. ( but will update this post with the stock facelift lights as well)

Below is a shot of normal tail lights.

1.jpg

When brakes applied only the "outer" light glows brighter.

2.jpg

To get the inner one to glow brighter a bit of simple modding is done.

The beauty of this mod is it very non invasive only a small section of the back of the light needs to be cut away to access the main PCB of the tail light.

4.jpg

Once cut away the PBC can be easily unscrewed and lifted out.

5.jpg

It's a very simple (cheap) design using minimal parts so I stuck with that as well.

The idea is that the array (15 leds) pretty much runs off a single resistor restricting all the leds to about 1.5v each

all im going to do is run "jumper cables" onto the pcb passing the restricting resistor to allow the LED's to run 1.92v approx. each.

This is done by adding 12v via a 82 OHM 1w resistor on the + to input to J12 and neg power J32 on the PCB.

8.jpg

As a bit of protection I have also added a diy 12v reg incase of any power spikes. ( altho im sure you can get away with out this) due to the way the LED's are being fed in this case.

7.jpg

Theres plenty of room to tuck the reg inside.

10.jpg

tuck all the wires inside as well

11.jpg

bit of hot glue comes in handy.... or silastic.... bubble gum in a pinch!

12.jpg

13.jpg

The extra RED wire is the Remote wire that feeds to the blue wire on the outer light.

14.jpg

Hook it back up for a little look see!

15.jpg

To get extra power to the modded light, simply run a remote wire from the existing 12V brake power on the outer lights.

It's the "BLUE" wire.

16.jpg

run the remote wire up thru the boot and join it to the RED wires on the modded inner boot lights.

17.jpg

18.jpg

Will post some updated night piccys on the car asap.

• Like 3

Can you PLEEASE see if you can adapt this to the standard pre-facelift lights? I've wanted this basically since I bought my car :( Dont know how similar the power design is between the pre/post facelift lights (figured you'd be the one to know :P)

• Like 1

Thanks heeps guys, might post this up in the guides section with a few extra piccys.

Here's a few pic's from this morning you can really notice the difference .

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Can you PLEEASE see if you can adapt this to the standard pre-facelift lights? I've wanted this basically since I bought my car :( Dont know how similar the power design is between the pre/post facelift lights (figured you'd be the one to know :P)

Will do Josh, I still have the orig clusters from my 08 tail lights i'll check it out through the week and post back here.

i have a spare set of face lift tail lights at home, i might experiment aswell :D

Remember Aiden the lights I modded here are "aftermarkets" I suspect factory ones will be different.... in fact here is a piccy I have of a factory facelift tail light to prove it.

AFTERMARKET FACTORY

IMG_4002.jpg

Thanks heeps guys, might post this up in the guides section with a few extra piccys.

Here's a few pic's from this morning you can really notice the difference .

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Will do Josh, I still have the orig clusters from my 08 tail lights i'll check it out through the week and post back here.

>

i have a spare set of face lift tail lights at home, i might experiment aswell :D

Remember Aiden the lights I modded here are "aftermarkets" I suspect factory ones will be different.... in fact here is a piccy I have of a factory facelift tail light to prove it.

AFTERMARKET FACTORY

IMG_4002.jpg

Your mods are awesome! I'd like you to do the set of head and rear lights on my ZR6.