Waxing & Polishing

CheekySportivo

Which polish do you use & recommend ?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Being that I'm a professional car detailer I voted for Meguiars as it's good stuff. But if you want the best finish then use Bowdens car care products.

I thought Meguiars was pretty much the best till Bowdens gave me a heap of their products to sample... and the results are awesome :D and I've got just a few trophies to back it up with too. ;)

Mostly for waxing and polishing i would use a brand that is commonly used amongst pannel shops for final finishing after a new spray job has been done it is a very fine "fareckler" cutting compound and a hand polish with a carnuba wax......the cut done with a buff and the polish done with "cheese cloth"!!!!!!

You can also use (if u are able to use a buff properly) dry talc powder as a cutting agent this is super fine and is commonly used with sum of the old timers that restore old american hot rods!!! It leaves an awsome finish!! very shiney and scratch free!!!! :D

Mostly for waxing and polishing i would use a brand that is commonly used amongst pannel shops for final finishing after a new spray job has been done it is a very fine "fareckler" cutting compound and a hand polish with a carnuba wax......the cut done with a buff and the polish done with "cheese cloth"!!!!!!

You can also use (if u are able to use a buff properly) dry talc powder as a cutting agent this is super fine and is commonly used with sum of the old timers that restore old american hot rods!!! It leaves an awsome finish!! very shiney and scratch free!!!! :D

I've used Farecla cutters and polishers and they are great but a little expensive and should only be used by somebody with experience with using a buff and or a decent amount of experience in hand cutting/polishing. But the results are worth the effort.

Depends on what your car needs. Most don't need a machine buff only just a hand buff or cut and polish(whatever you call it). But you can achieve the same result either way if that is all your car needs.

But if the paint needs major cutting to remove scratches and oxidised paint then the machine buff will give you better results and not so sore arms. But it's easy to make a mess of your car's paint work with a machine buff by burning the paint surface on edges or buffing too hard with the wrong buff pad etc. :o

For those who aren't confident enough to use a machine buff then stick to doing it by hand as it's safer for the inexperienced and you can actually correct your mistakes a hell of a lot easier. :D

• 1 month later...

Most of my products are Poorboys. They are relatively cheap and works really well. Meguires is average at best compared to Poorboys products.

Personally, I would never go back to polishing my car by hand, especially if you intend to remove swirl marks. Not only is it very time consuming, it's also not as effective in removing swirl marks and other fine scratches. I agree using rotaries is very dangerous for a beginner but if you have any common sense at all, using a random orbital polisher is very safe and effective.

I've always used Turtle Wax every six months, just before summer to protect against bird poop and just before winter to protect against rain and road grime.

The old formula used to be heavier and was almost a mild cutting agent but the new formula seems to be lighter and is also easier to apply and remove.

Most of my products are Poorboys. They are relatively cheap and works really well. Meguires is average at best compared to Poorboys products.

Personally, I would never go back to polishing my car by hand, especially if you intend to remove swirl marks. Not only is it very time consuming, it's also not as effective in removing swirl marks and other fine scratches. I agree using rotaries is very dangerous for a beginner but if you have any common sense at all, using a random orbital polisher is very safe and effective.

Poorboys eh? Not a very inspiring product name that sounds like it has any sort of quality about it. :blink:

Poorboys eh? Not a very inspiring product name that sounds like it has any sort of quality about it. :blink:

Poorboys is an American company and they make fantastic products at low prices. They're anytime better than Meguiar's. The Poorboys name reflects their goal, which is to provide really good products for little money and you can see that in packaging. I think Natty's Blue carnauba wax is probably their best product and it is well renowned for its 'wet-look' appearance.

post-346-1136983066_thumb.jpgpost-346-1136983122.jpg

Much rather stick with Bowdens thanks anyway. Meguiars ahs gone down hill in the last couple of years as the Australian wing of Meguiars is making their own products here and not using the US ones to cut costs and make more money. But unfortunately the quality of the products is slipping badly too.

With a name like chompies you must be south african!

Haha, is Chompies an African word? What does it mean?

no i dont think he's south african =D more asian oriented B)

Correct :D

Much rather stick with Bowdens thanks anyway. Meguiars ahs gone down hill in the last couple of years as the Australian wing of Meguiars is making their own products here and not using the US ones to cut costs and make more money. But unfortunately the quality of the products is slipping badly too.

I have heard of Bowdens Own.. which of their products would you recommend? They don't have a big line of products.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not a surprising result that most of the people are using Meguiars products.

But after my long reserach, I shift my car care kit to "Poor Boys" collection.

Polish is not recommanded to be done all the times, coz some polishing product will remove some layer of the clear coating on your car.

I tend to put two layers of Poor Boys Sealents and 1 layer of wax. Looks amazingly good

That last much longer than every single product by Meguiars.

Another advantage is sealent can build up multiple layer rather than removing some layer of the paint.

anyway, just my 2 cents

Well I just ordered some Klasse product for my car, was hoping it would arrive this week, but did not come :( Will let you know how it goes. Anyone else try Klasse before ? (Some German product that my friend recommended) I know they use it in Singapore on the Subaru Rally cars ;P

Well I just ordered some Klasse product for my car, was hoping it would arrive this week, but did not come :( Will let you know how it goes. Anyone else try Klasse before ? (Some German product that my friend recommended) I know they use it in Singapore on the Subaru Rally cars ;P

The Klasse twins (All-In-One and Sealant Glaze) are one of the best combos around. AIO, is one of the best paint prep products around. When you do get your stuff, try layering SG multiple times to improve its durability and look (3-4 layers should suffice), then top it off with a good carnauba wax to give it some wetness and you're set.

AIO is so versatile, you can also use it on your black plastics.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know where i can buy a claybar? or clay as it is commonly known?

i cant find it at supercheap, probably not sure if it will show up at autobarn either.

Aparently some dude in melb from another forum does wonders with this clay stuff for your clearcoat :lol: