G’day. From Newcastle NSW.

Altezza

I have a 2000 Avalon with lots of K’s on it but would drive

it to Darwin tomorrow if I needed to. :-)

Colin

Welcome Colin, nice car the Toyota Avalon, I recall a loyal Holden man once telling me that even he was impressed with the smoothness and power of the Toyota Avalon.

Thanks Sebastian for the welcome, The Avalon has served us well over a lot of years. A niumber of oil leaks that are a problem at the moment but with over 260,000k on the clock it is understandable. Thinking about getting a new Camry. Thanks again, Colin.

Thanks Sebastian for the welcome, The Avalon has served us well over a lot of years. A niumber of oil leaks that are a problem at the moment but with over 260,000k on the clock it is understandable. Thinking about getting a new Camry. Thanks again, Colin.

I am sorry to hear that your Avalon is having some oil leaks, I was of the the understanding that Falcons and Commodores were notorious for oil leaks (I used to drive a Ford Falcon, and they had a shocking reputation for oil leaks).

May I ask, are the leaks bad?, ie is your Avalon losing oil rapidly?, and is it a cheap repair should you decide to fix it?

Thanks for your reply Sebastian.

Not "using any oil" No blue smoke. :-) I have been told by a friend, who is a mechanic as well as my regular mechanic, that once the engine gets some big Ks on it the “internal pressure” builds up and it is not uncommon to get oil leaks.
I am starting to get parts leaking that were fixed about a year ago. The last was a engine oil seal and the timing belt was changed at the same time $700. My mechanic suggested a new car or a low mileage second-hand engine from Japan. $3,000.

I also got a price for the engine to be rebuilt from a Sydney, $4,990.
Looking to get a new Camry at this point.

Colin.