rad000's MCV20R Vienta

rad000

Hi,

I live in Melbourne's West and I've been a member of this forum since 2009. Figured I should make a ride thread seeing as I haven't yet.

1998 Vienta V6. It's my first car and has done ~368,000kms. Owned since September 2007.
I know it's not amazing to look at but it's a bit of a function over form thing for me. I'd like it to look better but I'd rather it handle well first. I've gained a lot of knowledge from working on this car. Haven't really done much in the engine department besides general maintenance though.
It doesn't really look like a Vienta anymore. The climate control is pretty much the only Vienta-ish thing left.

Stuff done to it over the years:

- lowered on king super lows on standard height shocks for that awesome bounce effect
- YellowSpeed Coilovers 8/5kg
- 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar
- Front strut bar
- Cat back exhaust
- Slotted and drilled front discs
- K&N panel filter
- Clear guard indicators
- Lower intake resonator delete
- Corolla steel wheels (not a fan of the vienta alloys)
- Rolled rear guards
- 35% front/20% rear tint (pretty recent so only one pic)
- Grandpa weather shield
- White LED interior/instrument cluster lighting
- Many miscellaneous worn parts replaced

The rails currently sit about 7.5cm from the ground which is as low as functionally possible for me.

I'm also thinking about getting some new wheels. They don't have to look good but I need lower offset on the rear to prevent rubbing on the coilovers. Currently got some positive camber fixing that which isn't ideal. Wouldn't mind a bit more grip either. If anyone has any wheel size/offset suggestions, please share!

slamry_zpsa70884d5.jpg

P9300025_zpsccea4c47.jpg

P9300028.jpg

Edited by rad000

Im thinkin of selling my wheels, its a 17x8 +30... let me know if you are keen.

Could you PM me a link to pics of the specific wheels? Also a rough price? Price is sort've my main decision-maker haha. Was considering just getting widened steelies or something. Not really sure what offset my stock wheels even are.

With that kilometers, any major or minor problem in the engine so far?

Good reliability.

you really take care of it, body is still good

Edited by ben yip

With that kilometers, any major or minor problem in the engine so far?

Good reliability.

you really take care of it, body is still good

Thanks, nothing major so far. Starter motor was replaced at about 300,000kms. I have to clean the idle air control valve every 6 months or so as it gets dirty and doesn't idle properly on cold start sometimes. Common problem though I think. That's all! Still has plenty of power.

Uhh dont have pics atm, still deciding to sell or not, its off the car anyway, lemme take some quick snaps and ill send em to you.

Just looked at your thread. If they're the Advans then I can safely say I won't be able to pay what you would want for them haha :P

Uhh dont have pics atm, still deciding to sell or not, its off the car anyway, lemme take some quick snaps and ill send em to you.

Just looked at your thread. If they're the Advans then I can safely say I won't be able to pay what you would want for them haha :P

Hey RAD,

I recently sold at pair of 2006 aurion factory 16" for $180 - Got em for $140 off Gumtree. Bought em for my 1997 Vienta but ended up buyin a new car. So you can get real cheap stuff but maybe not aftermarket looking stuff.

how much were you looking at spending on a set of wheels ?

Hey RAD,

I recently sold at pair of 2006 aurion factory 16" for $180 - Got em for $140 off Gumtree. Bought em for my 1997 Vienta but ended up buyin a new car. So you can get real cheap stuff but maybe not aftermarket looking stuff.

Hey, yeah that's a pretty good deal actually. I saw some 09 sportivo wheels for $150 but they're in Sydney. I'm thinking of buying some 17" ford territory steelies so I can ditch the giant sidewall. I'm not really after a great looking set of wheels, just mainly need new ones due to fitment issues with the current ones and may as well get a better tyre size while I'm at it.

how much were you looking at spending on a set of wheels ?

As little as possible haha. After seeing your wheels I know they're out of my price range and don't want to insult you with a horrific offer. I'm looking at like $200 sets at the moment if that gives you an idea :P

What area u in? Don't love the steelies on the blue and i reckon the late model aurion wheels would make it stand out a bit. The kappa wheels from toyota would look sweet but thats outta the price range.

North-Western suburbs. If I can work out that the territory wheels fit alright I'll probably buy them. Just want to be able to run wider tyres with less sidewall which is where I've allocated more money. I'm aiming for 17s because I can keep the same overall diameter with 215/50/17 tyres. I've always liked the ratty look of steelies. No idea why.

When i see steelies on a camry like that it makes me think of cop cars from old school action movies hehe...

I found a gumtree listing for these which is what i had on my 1997 camry... Set of 5... Asking $280 ive asked em for $150 haha. Also this ad isnt appearing online for my ipad - just my android app.

post-11965-0-61040200-1380538599_thumb.j

post-11965-0-39716900-1380538631_thumb.j

Theres also this listing http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chadstone/wheels-tyres-rims/-used-camry-6th-gen-tyres-5-tyres-/1028616521

When i see steelies on a camry like that it makes me think of cop cars from old school action movies hehe...

I found a gumtree listing for these which is what i had on my 1997 camry... Set of 5... Asking $280 ive asked em for $150 haha. Also this ad isnt appearing online for my ipad - just my android app.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Theres also this listing http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chadstone/wheels-tyres-rims/-used-camry-6th-gen-tyres-5-tyres-/1028616521

Ohhh those are the same alloys that came with my car haha! I took them off because I didn't like them. They're behind my parents' shed at the moment. One is in my boot as the spare. I'm trying to find wider wheels so I can have better tyres. Thanks for looking for some for me though, appreciate it.

Hmmm dunno about those. I've decided I'm going to go with the territory wheels and see how they go. If they don't fit I'll just sell them. Kinda have my heart set on them, don't ask me why :blush:

Yeaah thaaats betterrrr... I much prefer the plain steelies on ya car rather than the black!

Yeah I really wanna get tyres for them now to see what it looks like. They're 17x7.5 so I can actually get some nice tyres!

• Like 1