Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar snapped in half

jtfoto

When I purcahse my 2007 ATX I fitted the Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar.

That was approx 3 years ago.

Lately the handling was rubbish and I assumed it was wheel alignment.

Upon jacking up the car the sway bar had snapped on the right hand side just inboard of the mounting bracket.

After removing it and replacing with the original bar it was obvious that the Ultra racing bar had a definate fault.

There was a band of rust right across the middle of the break with only 2 points of solid metal.

It finally gave way on the solid part.

My question is...has anyone else experienced a breakage with the ultra racing bar.

I really feel like getting all over them like a cheap suit as one would not expect a bar to just break on a normal road car.

Can someone also give the contact for the importer of these bars as I can no longer find it.

Cheers.

When I purcahse my 2007 ATX I fitted the Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar.

After removing it and replacing with the original bar it was obvious that the Ultra racing bar had a definate fault.

There was a band of rust right across the middle of the break with only 2 points of solid metal.

It finally gave way on the solid part.

The steel may have had a defect and cracked, then let go over time. It was probably a cheap knock off, not a genuine item. As far as warranty goes, I doubt they will cover it after 3 years, if indeed it is genuine.

It is the real thing direct from Ultra Racing.

That appears to be exactly what happend.

I think they should cover it if it had a manufacturing fault as a bar should never break under normal driving conditions.

I don't race the car or drive that hard. I only fitted it to try and reduce the terrible body roll.

Racing makes no difference to the torsion going through it. It's not unheard of for anti-roll bars to snap on road cars, especially if you have sloped driveways that require an angled approach. Any shots of the fracture? Being spring steel, any unpainted sections very quickly rust, so it might not have been like that from new. I don't think you'll have much luck with warranty after 3 years.

It is the real thing direct from Ultra Racing.

That appears to be exactly what happend.

I think they should cover it if it had a manufacturing fault as a bar should never break under normal driving conditions.

I don't race the car or drive that hard. I only fitted it to try and reduce the terrible body roll.

Probably shouldn't break under normal driving conditions, but can you prove that you didn't abuse the car or race it etc within the last 3 years? Not calling you a liar, but that's exactly what Ultra Racing would claim you did and it's basically your word against theirs.

Also kinda strange you say you don't drive it hard, as the body roll wouldn't even be a consideration even from stock until you're throwing into corners at a decent speed

• Like 1

The rust section I mentioned appears inside the bar near its centre and the metal looks very ganulated, crystaline and uneven at this point.

It looks like some sort of tempering error.

Yes I have good photos of it, both insitu prior to removing it and of each side of the break after removal.

You are right, I probably am pushing s%^t up hill with regard to any warranty but I still believe there must have been a manufacturing fault given the appearance of the break.

I like to corner reasonably hard but nothing I would call excessively hard. So I don't think that my driving style really had anything to do with it breaking.

I also don't have a steap drive way with a bad approach angle.

I will give Ultra Racing a chance but I won't hold my breath.

I was under the impression when I bought it that they were good.

A lot of guys on this forum were recommending them so I made that assumption.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with them after some kms have been put on them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just thought I had better follow up on this one.

Better late than never.

The bar was happily replaced under warranty.

I was advised that it should never break they have not seen one break before.

Replacement was sent very quickly.

Could not be happier with Ultra Racing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Updating this thread as we are talking about sway bar qualities. A company called Drive Industries make a 20mm rear sway bar for the Aurion. Have anyone heard of it/used it? It's significantly more expensive then the Ultra Racing, and 1mm bigger diameter, is it worth it?

https://www.driveindustries.com.au/collections/toyota-aurion-2006-2011-acv4-gsv4/products/dbr76-20a-heavy-duty-sway-bar-20mm-adjustable

• Thanks 1