blocked oil pick up screen

chooky1

I own 2 Toyotas, a Hilux SR5 and a Prado VX, both cars have a 3 l turbo diesel D4D, spec: 1 KDFTV.

The Hilux had a total engine failure at 103 000km, just out of warranty. Toyota rebuild the engine without any costs to me, but never revealed the reason for the engine failure. The Hilux has now 320 000 km on the speedo and still runs fine, no oil usage between services.

My Prado just had a engine seizure with 170 000 km on the speedo and also requires a full rebuild.

The car was taken to the local mechanic which removed the sump and pointed out a blocked oil pick up screen, which starved the engine of oil, cause for the engine seizure. He also made me aware that this is a rather common problem with this type of engine, and is caused by failing cooper washers on the injectors which cause some oil to burn and crystallize, which then settles on the strainer.

A quick search on the net confirmed the comment of the mechanic and that Toyota is aware of the problem.

Does anybody had similar experiences with this type of engine? And how did Toyota respond?

I can not be certain the Hilux engine failed for the same reason, but there is certainly a suspicion.

I like to point out that both cars have a documented comprehensive service history.

Any comment is appreciated.