diy towbar installation

midnight87

Hello everyone

im wanting to but a towbar on my 08 aurion sportivo sx6, iv noticed everywhere wants to charge a leg to have on fitted and im a bit of a diy person so im wanna give a shot as fitting one myself to save a few $$$ but iv got a few questions

1) i found a towbar on gumtree for a $100 that say its for a 07-11 Toyota camry acv40 and aurion gsv40, just wondering if this will be a sure fit before i go buying it?

2) iv been reading some posts about bowbar wiring, my aurion has the led tail lights so am i going to be needing some sort of electrical box some new cars need? if so will one of the ones in the links work (sorry if im not allowed to post ebay linkson here)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161072041965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121141744901?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

3) if not can i just wire straight into the tail light wiring?

any info would be great and thank you in advance

Alan

fitting it should be no problem as long as the towbar is in good working order, my work has fitted about 50 towbars to rac vehicles which i had a part in, iv also fitted a couple to my own older vehicles with no problems

if i can get the answers to my questions i'll know what i need to do the job

1) Make sure you got the rods to hang the muffler on both sides. The Camry and Aurion kits are different. The Camry kit will bolt in, but you'll have to weld some rods for the twin mufflers. You will also need to cut your rear bumper.

2) I bought the eBay controller, yet to try it out...

3) You cannot piggyback your trailer lights off the tail light relays as you'll blow the fuses. You will need to purchase the controller. The genuine Toyota yow plug kit is about $150.

• 1 month later...

If you can get a reece hitch your laughing, way lot better than the Toyota towbar.

going with a reece hitch type thats for sure, best quote so far is $690 (parts only) for a full kit with everything then will fit it myself

I got a 2nd hand towbar for my wifes aurion - a genuine towbar (PZQ63-33130) but had difficulty getting a wiring kit 2nd hand.
I don't like the idea of piggybacking the towbar wiring straight onto the LED lights. I ordered a genuine wiring kit through people I know at a Toyota dealer. With the large round plug, the part number is PZQ61-33142. It may take a while to get, as I hear production has slowed for this item, and it came with installation instructions too.
As for aftermarket, I would have gone with Hayman Reece too, and gone the hitch type with 50X50 box section (as there is a 40X40 box section as an option too)