Toyota Landcruiser HZJ105R or HDJ100R???

ngt206

Hi folks,

I am looking to graduate into the 4x4 club so thought that this should be as good a place as any to get a straight answer as to what I should be looking for...

I've done a bit of research so far and it comes down to a choice of 2 (well 3 really if you count HZJ vs HDJ)

The Patrol GU 4.2 (don't disown me yet please!!!) and the Landcruiser.

The 1HD-FTE Turbo being the stand out donk for Toyota. Trouble is, they brought out the HDJ with the IFS!!! Great for around town, but not so great for off roading.

Seems to me, if a bloke could get his hands on a HZJ fitted with the 1HD-FTE turbo engine with low (not sure what low is, so advice on this would also be appreciated...) kms, he'd be set!!

Of course they're as rare as hens teeth (I live in Brisbane btw)

Is the HZJ with the 1HZ non turbo that bad??

So the last question is this... What is easiest and most cost effective to convert? The HZJ (upgrade with the 1HD-FTE) or the HDJ100R with the new front end (axle)

I don't imagine I'll be using it to hit the most challenging terrain out there (mostly beach) if that helps determine an answer

Your straight shooting advice/comments will be gratefully received.

Thanks everyone:-)

HI nigel,sorry for the late reply,there have been a few people that few people that has done the 1hdfte conversion and has been sucessfull,but isnt cheap,one of my mates was thinking of doing the same conversion in he,s old 105 series ,but the 1hdfte engine is in such demand there is a shortage of them and the ones that are avalible are exspensive,so he just dropped another 1hz in and put aftermarket turbo on it.

The most cost affective way to get a live axel 100 series is to buy a na diesel and put after market turbo on it,I personally wouldnt put a turbo on a engine that has done over 250000kms without a rebuild,the 1hz is a pretty bullet proof engine and should perform great with a turbo,maybe not as good as the factory turbo diesel but will be a good torquey 4wd engine.

If money no object i would buy hdj100,I know you wanted lve front axel,but I love the ifs, they will pretty nearly go anywhere a live axel cruiser will go and the better handling is worth the compremise in my oppinion,we took one of my other mates ifs 100 series turbo diesel up the cape and it handled everything we threw at it,I wanted to buy one a few years back,but couldnt afford one,the hdj100 still command a lot of money now,but thats only to be exspected,there a brilliant car,every time I haven driven my mates hdj100 I have trouble handing it back,there my all time favorite cars.

The nissan 4.2 turbo diesel patrols are good reliable car and are very good off road,the 4.2 turbo diesel is no power house and certainly wont hold a candle to the 1hdfte engine ,but are very reliable and long lasting,its not uncommon for these engines to reach 500000kms without a rebuild or any major engine work.

these cars are rare and are exspensive,most people that buy them hang on to them and the one are for sale a pretty pricey,but they are a great car,they are not as comfortable or powerfull as the cruisers but are equally good offroad and have heap of acessories avaliable for them.

Im not sure if this is any help mate but I thought I tell you what I know and think.

Hi David, awesome feedback and a huge help let me tell you!

One question I have on your post re "The most cost affective way to get a live axel 100 series is to buy a na diesel"

What do you refer to with regards an NA diesel?

You're right, the HDJ sure fetches a price tag. They seem to retain their value...

I'm starting to get the feeling that if I were to get a tidy HZJ that has done 250000 odd kms for no more than $22,000 +/- I'd be doing well

Sorry nigel,I was refering na as hzj with the natually asprirated 1hz engine,if you get hzj 100 for$ 22000 in good condition I would grab,the hdj 100 are great cars but are over priced,I remember about 5 years ago when I was going to buy one ,the used ones with under 100000kms were selling for more than they were new, I ended up my a prado instead.

Hi David,

Ok understood. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense.

And just to throw a spanner in the works, sorry about this... What of the FZJ105? The 4.5L petrol auto. Any good? - and you can be totally blunt and honest. Pros and Cons. Any real disadvantages to auto for serious off roading?

I'm starting to confuse myself now with all these models, so it would be nice to be able to cross it off the list. However, if this petrol fuelled series is that good and I need to bring it into the equation I will... At least they don't seem to have the same ridiculous asking price as the HDJ, but then there could be a very good reason for that?!

Many thanks in advance

Regards Nigel

The fzj105 is basically the same vehicle as the hzj 105,only its powered buy 1fzfe 4.5 litre engine and is a great vehicle,the 1fzf engine,4.5 petrol engine is pretty bullet proof and long lasting as the 1hz,there really isnt anything thing that I can thing to look out for on them ,the valve stem seals go on some of them at around 200000kms and they will smoke and burn a little oil,but nothing overly major.

They can be pretty thirsty especialy if towing and heavy fourwheel driving,if your only doing the odd 4wd trip and only want a touring wagon and only going on mostly highway trips ,they only use a extra couple of litres a 100 hundred of fuel, they have heaps more power than the 1hz,they are absolute bargains on the used market and can be had several thousands cheaper,sometimes cases more than 10000$ cheaper,the difference in price you can buy a lot of petrol and the the petrol only needs to be serviced every 10000kms vs the diesel needs servicing every 5000kms,the petrol is cheaper to get serviced.

I prefer auto,i reckon you got more control in mud and sand and especially taking off up a steep slope,no more true when towing,only where the manual is better is going down a steep slope the manuel gives better engine breaking.

I wouldnt hestitate buying fzj105,I seen on car sales some absolute bargainsbe had out there.

I KNEW you were going to say that ;-)

As I thought (feared) Another truck to add into the mix.

I think settling on a budget is going to determine it at the end of the day.

Thanks again

Ooops, hold the phone...

Reckon this might've been what I've been looking for all along! GXL VDJ76R....

And, some of the earlier models (2007 - 08) have very reasonable asking prices. Guess because they don't have all the bling.

Edited by ngt206