Engine problem

cxc

Hi,

I've got a 2007 presara. I missed a couple of services
before last year(2011-2012). since the beginning of 2013, the car started make
blue/white smoke at cold starts. I went to ultra tune for service, they changed
oil etc. the smoke went away but came back after a couple of months or so (less
then before). I went back to ultratune, they said the engine had no problem.
However, it gradully got worse. We drove to red hills (about 200KM in total)
during new year. At the end. it became really bad. I went to service at a
toyota dealer last thursday, the guy there suggested a engine flush as he could
see so much sludge from the engine oil filling hole. after the flush, the car
was fine, no smoke, engine oil was so clear; Although I still could see some
sludge in the engine around the hole. I called the guy, he said those residual
sludge would come off after a couple weeks. But after I drove a 20KM trip on
last Saturday, the smoke was back again. I opened the oil cap, noticed the residual
sludge had almost all gone, and oil had more colour (still good light
brownish). I thought the smoke might be caused by some sludge left in the
exhaust or something like that. After a day or two, the smoke had gone again.
However, I had another 20KM drive yesterday, guess what, the smoke is back
again. And this morning, it seemed a little better again.

I know there is something really bad with the engine. but just want to know what is it. Would anyone know why the engine doesn't like long drive anymore?

Should I get it fixed or simply replace the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I used to have my car serviced at ultratune till a friend of mine bought a ve commodore that had been serviced regularly by them. When he took it to his mechanic the engine required a fair bit of work to clean sludge out of it. Around the same time, I was due for a service so approached ultratune and asked what brand oil they use. Guy behind the counter dodged the question and when pressed told me "it's just some stuff we buy in bulk". Since then I won't go back. I don't trust a mechanic who won't tell me what oil he uses.

Quote;[ I wont trust a mechanic who wont tell me what oil he uses]

Sludge is a wonderfull thing.It usually results from leaving the oil in the engine well past its use by date ( To save paying for a service) Not what oil is used

If you know you are not going to pay to have it serviced at least go and buy 6lts of oil,a new oil filter and do it your self.Dont wait until it starts to die and then suddenly panic and think (all will be o.k once I have the service done ) too late damage has long been done!!!

This is a picture of a VE engine oil filter due to trying to save a few dollars on a service.

post-18351-0-38892900-1389340631_thumb.j

Quote;[ I wont trust a mechanic who wont tell me what oil he uses]

Sludge is a wonderfull thing.It usually results from leaving the oil in the engine well past its use by date ( To save paying for a service) Not what oil is used

If you know you are not going to pay to have it serviced at least go and buy 6lts of oil,a new oil filter and do it your self.Dont wait until it starts to die and then suddenly panic and think (all will be o.k once I have the service done ) too late damage has long been done!!!

This is a picture of a VE engine oil filter due to trying to save a few dollars on a service.

If you say so. I still don't trust abovementioned mechanic. And I refuse to use cheap sh!t oil.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2007 Presara as well bought it from new, I have always used Mobil1 10W30 since the car was 3K old now 210K, never had to top up the oil, oil still looks like new at the service (every 15K) some of the oil companys do make a slightly courser oil for older engines, may pay to check it out.

The fact that it's missed the services hasn't helped the situation, but I'm thinking of a combination of factors. Quality of oil has an important part, as well as the viscosity. I hope that ultratune hasn't been putting 20w50 in it or something like that.
Just a wild guess, that poor quality oil has passed its used-by date and sludged up, not just around the oil filler cap (more to see if you ever remove the rocker covers) but the sludge has likely gotten into the bores and fouled up the piston rings, causing blue smoke and oil consumption.

Go over to Toyota Nation and look in the camry forums, search 'sludge'. You will see what lack of oil changes does. Lots of photos. Imagine your blood flowed like honey, you would be stuffed too. Usually there is no going back with sludge, unless it is very minor its more a case of doing very regular oil changes, hoping a lot becaues if you try to flush it somehow bits might get stuck in small oil passages and starve a few bearings...

its all bad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...