Possible to add key remote?

Tarago_owner

So thanks for those people that helped me work out that my new purchase is a 2001 MCR30 Estima rather than the stated Tarago ACR30R GLi. I do have a bit of a follow-up question...

The vehicle has central locking, active only from the driver's door (locking that door locks all doors, but locking another door only locks that particular door), but it only came with a single immobilser key...no remote for locking the vehicle at all.

I asked at Deering Auto Electrics, and they quoted me $175 to install a remote receiver (not including the cost of the remote itself), but when I asked at another auto-electricians, they said it was impossible and I'd have to get official Toyota products installed if they even available...a generic remote/receiver from Jaycar or wherever would not suffice.

I've found a few articles on the web about this, but they are all either outdated, or not for my exact vehicle. Would anyone be able to clarify my situation? Can I install a generic remote/receiver system to operate the central locking or not? (Getting an answer from someone here in the know will certainly save me a lot of bother running around--and perhaps being charged by--the various autoelectricians.)

Cheers in advance,

Mike

The second auto electrician that you went to, I advice to not use them for anything :)

Yes you can install an aftermarket unit, I have done this beofore. the easiest way to do this is to wire it into the Lock/ unlock button on the drivers door, the wires can be chased down to the central locking unit. This might be above the pedals.

For the car that you have if it was factory fitted I would guess that it would of been a separate remote so if you did it that way you would be looking at around $100 for 1 remote.

Try this to see if you can put the car into learn mode to code in a new remote.

1. Sit in drivers seat, key NOT in ignition and DRIVERS door OPEN.. all other doors closed

2. insert key into ignition and remove it, do this again

3. Close and open the drivers door 2 times

4. Insert the key and remove

5. Close the door and insert the key

6. turn the key from OFF to ON once to ADD remote

7. remove the key from the ignition

The door locks should cycle once to confirm ADD. If it doesn't then it may not be fitted with a remote.

There are a couple of things though that could stop this working even if the car is fitted with factory remote. If the switches in the door are faulty, the switch in the ignition is faulty/ disconnected and the big one is if you only have the Valet key. Valet key is gray and you can not add/ remove keys or remotes.

If you PM me your VIN number I can also check if there is a factory remote for it but it wont be 100% for if it's fitted ( Don't post it on the forum)