Front wheel hopping on hard acceleration

nickio

Hi Guys

I'm on 2010 ATX.

On the stock wheels and Bridgestone Turanza 215/60/16, any damped condition.

If I am a bit heavy on my right foot, the front of the car starts jumping and bouncing like crazy.

Now on TRD wheels and Dunlop Sportsmax 245/35/19, damped condition.

I still get the crazy hopping, bouncing but at higher acceleration.

Wondering if you guys have any issue like that.

I have read that changing the stock suspension bushing to polyurethane bushing will help the issue.

Suggestion please.

I used to get that with my manual Corolla and my Vienta previous to that. I changed my tyres and springs on the Corolla and haven't had any issues since. It's just a matter of easing off the accelerator.

im pretty sure its the traction control that causes the bunny hops

FWD with traction control. You could always dis-engage traction and see what your heavy foot does in the wet...

I will give that a try (have to dig up the long list of how to disengage the traction control), but seems like the weather wont give me the chance any time soon.

If it is the case of the traction control then it will be very annoying. Unless i put my right foot on diet :(

I used to get that with my manual Corolla and my Vienta previous to that. I changed my tyres and springs on the Corolla and haven't had any issues since. It's just a matter of easing off the accelerator.

The tyres does help a bit in my case. In the next couple week or so I'm going change all 4 tyres to Goodyear Asymmetric 2. And will see how it goes.

Btw, when you say spring, you referring to lowered spring ?

Yep, I have to be a bit more careful on the gas in the wet. but sometimes I just want to get off the light and that's annoying :(

If it's a traction control issue, I would suggest you consider choosing the situation where you launch the car hard a little more carefully (ie. Not in the wet). I would not advise turning traction control off in the situation you are describing. Remember, when you feel the traction control working, you have already overcooked it. Best to ease off a little.

If it's a traction control issue, I would suggest you consider choosing the situation where you launch the car hard a little more carefully (ie. Not in the wet). I would not advise turning traction control off in the situation you are describing. Remember, when you feel the traction control working, you have already overcooked it. Best to ease off a little.

I feel the traction control in the Aurion is either coming in too late or just cut off the power

I drive quite some old cars with no traction control, it doesn't hop just lots of wheel spin.

However, in the dry the car just grips fine. in the wet with the wide foot print tyres I'm having right now is okay until around 4000 rpm then the hop just come like crazy.

I do try to be a lot more careful on the right foot in the wet though. But some road surface just want to play skipping rope with me :)

You will not get the wheel hop with older non traction control cars as the computer is not clanping the brakes on and off in an attempt to regain traction for you.

As I said, whatever you are doing, its too much. Try to feel for the grip limit, and stop just before the traction control starts working.

The other thing I was thinking earlier was that it may be a suspension problem. Have you had it checked out recently?

• Like 1

You will not get the wheel hop with older non traction control cars as the computer is not clanping the brakes on and off in an attempt to regain traction for you.

As I said, whatever you are doing, its too much. Try to feel for the grip limit, and stop just before the traction control starts working.

The other thing I was thinking earlier was that it may be a suspension problem. Have you had it checked out recently?

Thanks Prodigy07

Don't get me wrong though, I do take a lot of care for the car. Its just that rare moment that I slip the right foot. And i always try to put that right foot on diet so it won't be too heavy.

I know that if I ease off the acceleration this cut down. But I just want to check if it just me or it all happens like that. So I know where I have to look at and start fiddling from there on and won't break something else.

Suspension is what i'm going to look at weekend will talk to the mechanic and let him inspect what might cause it and If there is no issue I will just change the suspension bushing for now.

And I did a fair bit of research on this issue and seems like people are suggesting suspension bushing and engine mount bushing. And i'm putting some stickier tyres in soon . I will see how that goes for now.

Edited by nickio

FWD with traction control. You could always dis-engage traction and see what your heavy foot does in the wet...

Just to clarify, that was sarcasm. I wholly do not recommend turning it off in the wet.

Just to clarify, that was sarcasm. I wholly do not recommend turning it off in the wet.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ would be a very bad idea if you did, lol
  • Like 1

yeah, I kinda know what's going to happen before I even think about it. Even with the traction control on I have to always feather my foot in the wet and the light still flashing.

I wouldn't put anyone on the road at risk just for my own good (crazy testing).

But yeah, like i mentioned above, I will be looking on suspension bushing and damping, and the tyres.

I feel the traction control in the Aurion is either coming in too late or just cut off the power

I drive quite some old cars with no traction control, it doesn't hop just lots of wheel spin.

However, in the dry the car just grips fine. in the wet with the wide foot print tyres I'm having right now is okay until around 4000 rpm then the hop just come like crazy.

I do try to be a lot more careful on the right foot in the wet though. But some road surface just want to play skipping rope with me :)

Its happening around 4000rpm cause that's very close to the rpm an Aurion's peak torque comes on

yeah, I kinda know what's going to happen before I even think about it. Even with the traction control on I have to always feather my foot in the wet and the light still flashing.

But yeah, like i mentioned above, I will be looking on suspension bushing and damping, and the tyres.

Honestly man, stiffer shocks and bushes gonna hurt you more than help. Been tryin to give you the hint, IT'S YOUR DRIVING STYLE. Ease your right foot off a little, its pure physics, only so hard you can launch a 2 tonne hunk of metal before tyre adhesion goes out the window. This isn't a corolla and you can't drive it like one.

Honestly man, stiffer shocks and bushes gonna hurt you more than help. Been tryin to give you the hint, IT'S YOUR DRIVING STYLE. Ease your right foot off a little, its pure physics, only so hard you can launch a 2 tonne hunk of metal before tyre adhesion goes out the window. This isn't a corolla and you can't drive it like one.

:) yes man , thanks. I surely have always put my foot on diet . and every time this thing happen i always wants to shade off weight from the foot and tears in drop inside for the car.

The point here is that, is it me or the car that causing this that concern me most. If it is me then it is an easy fix. If it is the car then I have to find the right way on fixing the car.

However though, I only got this aurion for about 4 months now, not too much experience on it yet. And the first workshop service and also get it fully inspect.

So yeah, I really do appreciate the help from you and the guys in here. and as long as i know that its not anything serious that I need to look at into the car then its good for me.

Because I do love the car a lot.

Easy then. It's you. You simply can't plant your foot in the wet.

By all means look into suspension for handling and getting rid of the horrible standard body roll, just don't do it for 10 second wet drags.

Easy then. It's you. You simply can't plant your foot in the wet.

By all means look into suspension for handling and getting rid of the horrible standard body roll, just don't do it for 10 second wet drags.

That's cool man ... going easy , easy easy . i have to implant the word easy in my right foot :(

On the topic of suspension. I still tossing coin of lowering or not. Coil or spring. head banging. Handling and looks or comfort.

Can't decide.

My car axle tramps too on full throttle sounds like the front end being hit with a hammer, 200kw thru the front wheels is too much Toyota should have put LSD diff in.

It doesn't need to be full for me, anywhere near mid territory for me.

LSD.... are we looking for unicorn here ? hahahaha :P

Correct me if I'm wrong here, LSD only useful when you are taking corner where it limit the slip difference between the inside and outside wheel. In term of straight line acceleration, I don't think it makes much of a different I guess, unless only one of the wheel lose traction badly.

i tried it once and i don't recommend it, it gets pretty uncontrollable, play it was leave the TC on and go easy on the right foot is all i can say

I guess, that's the way to go :(

Edited by nickio

Limited slip diff will transfer power evenly to both front wheels, which produce's much more grip and less wheel spinning whether turning or going in straight line

Go to the drags and you"ll find all the quick cars have LSD or a locked up diff,

Fitting an LSD on an Aurion from factory is a terrible idea from a cost point of view.

Especially since LSDs don't really fix axle-tramp/wheel-hop (they might alter when it occurs, but it doesn't actually fix the problem)

Especially since LSDs don't really fix axle-tramp/wheel-hop (they might alter when it occurs, but it doesn't actually fix the problem)

Speaking of which, Anthony recently replaced his BC coils with some Koni struts and King SL's and he's pretty much eliminated his axle-tramp apparently.