Engine / Power Upgrades.

RoadRunner

Hello Ladies & Gents

Thought i would create this topic as i can't seem to find another on the forum for the aurion and we could use this as a reference.

Now there has been lot's of great ideas for upgrading air intakes and exhausts ect...

What could you do to upgrade the engine to run better, faster and harder?

- Change the Air filter to a high flow panel filter or K&N Typhoon 69' Series Intake.

- Change the exhaust, have read that it's best to get header-back as changing the manifold might

throw up a error code. (i have not seen any proof it could be a myth) or cat-back.

- Get and ecu tune or flash or performance chip (ebay chip, not sure if it works)

Not really engine related but if you doing performance upgrades it's a good idea to get better brakes, tyres and suspension and strut braces.

If i have missed anything that is worth doing for performance, handling ect.. mention it below and ill add it.

What i have done to my aurion is change the air filter to a K&N high flow panel filter and done the vacuum hose swap. Am looking to do more but have run out of ideas

Let the think tank begin!

- AJ

I have a full stainless catback bro, best money can buy and nothing but sound man, your intakes??? I think josh got 1Kw difference!?!

Best thing you can do is put 98 in the tank lol

Spose there are kits out there for other cars that run a 2GR, HKS have a supercharger kit for the lotus and there a re cam kits too.

Piston work but all are gonna cost a small fortune.

Best bet is either buy a TRD or be happy with your 150+KW at the front wheels man.

Still waiting on light pics????

The Aurion is at that age where it has been that long and no-one has done anything big to it that is easy and cost efficient to replicate. It's safe to say that there isn't too much you can do except enjoy what it is without expecting to get much more usable power out of it.

If you want a faster car, you're better off looking elsewhere.

Edited by Tard
  • Like 1

The Aurion is at that age where it has been that long and no-one has done anything big to it that is easy and cost efficient to replicate. It's safe to say that there isn't too much you can do except enjoy what it is without expecting to get much more usable power out of it.

You might be write on this, but the new 2014 range of aurions have the same engine? or is it slightly different?

You might be write on this, but the new 2014 range of aurions have the same engine? or is it slightly different?

Exactly the same. Well, maybe with a VVT-i controller with a working lock-pin and a revised VVT-i oil line, but apart from that, same powerhouse and same aftermarket support.

Tard is right mate

TOCAU use to have an even bigger Aurion following than now, with one guy I know that we all know of that devoted all his time to Aurion. And nothing came of it mate.

The New Aurions still run the 2GR 3.5 V6 but are about 120kg lighter. Or something to that end

As mentioned by other people, there is very little you can do to make your aurion faster... unless you have a budget bigger than the car's value.

As much as I hate to say it, if you want a 4 door sedan, and want to go fast you are better off with either a Commodore SS, or a Falcon XR6T.

So what you are all saying that the best thing to do would be is to maybe look at improving the handling. suspension, bracing ect..

out of curiosity what's the general thought on this: http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/61A1951A0A0.aspx

slim to nil chance that will do anything but cause your car to throw a CEL (check engine light)...

You can certainly do upgrades to the cars suspension, braking, etc and make it handle and stop better if you so desire.

As mentioned by other people, there is very little you can do to make your aurion faster... unless you have a budget bigger than the car's value.

As much as I hate to say it, if you want a 4 door sedan, and want to go fast you are better off with either a Commodore SS, or a Falcon XR6T.

or the ISF

• Like 1

i would like a big V8 or maybe a XR6T but i am on my p's for at least another year so that's a no go, also have to pay back the loan for the car :P

I was just curious to what mods you could do for performance of really i take it you the best mod's might be air intake and exhaust?

You can do that if you want, and you might see a few extra KW, but nothing substantial... IMO keep the car stock and maintain it well so it will be easy to sell once you get off your P's

try taking a trd aurion for a drive running a tank of 100 octane fuel..

its great fun..

yes, they dont make them anymore.. and i looked at the isf!!!

you cant fit a damn tow ball on the thing!!!

so i stuck with the TRD aurion

• 4 years later...

The aurion engine is very popular for people to modify, but not in an aurion

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product-category/lotusevora/evoraenginecomponent/

Aurion engine swap on mr2

https://www.mr2oc.com/188-v6-mr2-forum/524250-building-2grfe-na-weapon.html#/topics/524250?page=4

Use unchip or emanage for the ecu.  Do the ecu upgrade after intake and full exhaust. I have gained 10 percent in midrange after tuning in my corolla

Edited by ben yip

Looks like you have missed noticing this very recent thread.

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/56288-aurion-performance-mod/

In my opinion, this is the most "bang for buck"modification for the Aurion that you can get done.

Another recommendation on the Forum is Upgrading the rear anti-sway bar to 19mm diameter which improves the handling.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd spend my money on the handling dept instead. You can spend thousands and only get a few extra KW. What for ??

The Aurion isn't really the type of car to do performance mods too, but it's up to you.

I reckon it's got enough power already (200 Kw not enough ?)

Don't forget that it's still a front wheel drive car and any "performance gain" with have adverse effects on the drive train.

I like an uphill battle 😂 I'm moving ahead with some modifications. Currently in contact with Harrop trying to organise an intercooler system like the one used on the lotus 2grs