86 known issues? To Buy or not to buy?

obsessionz

Hi guys I'm thinking about buying an 86. My only concern I have been reading about a lot of issues with the car. Such as low idle issues and chirping noises from the engine and moisture in tail lights etc.

Are these problems still current? Or have they fixed these issues in the 2014 model? Anyone experienced any of these issues?

The other question I have, how are people finding the seats are they comfortable or are they too tight for bigger guys? as I'm a size 34-36 waist.

Thanks guys.

instead of telling us your waist size and all that. maybe you should go and book a test drive and see if you can fit and be comfortable.

talking about other peoples mum's is so childish and and so old. shows how mature you can be.

Firstly, I think we have the same size undies, I love the seats and once in them you don't want to get out,it is a pain getting in and out that's why mine isn't a daily, but no aches and pains.

I believe the lights,idle,chirping issues have all been resolved. Mine is a mid 13 model and haven't had these problems.Can't comment on my tail lights though as I changed them and they never saw rain prior to removal.But that's a warranty issue so don't stress over it.

But definitely go for a drive just to get a good feel of the seats...

Enjoy your new car ;)

Thank you Juvenile for the only helpful comment.

The reason I was asking about the seats because I have owned DC2R, DC5R & an EVO 8 MR in the past and found all those recaro seats very tight and uncomfortable.

Yes I have already test drove the car but you can't tell from a 10 minute drive. I didnt find my recaro seats uncomfortable until a month or so later of driving until the foam started to soften up then you could feel the metal on the bolsters as a bigger buy I found them uncomfortable.

If I do buy the car I plan to turbo it as there isn't enough power for me. Either that or im considering buying a Renault Megane RS which im going for a test drive today.

Thank you.

instead of telling us your waist size and all that. maybe you should go and book a test drive and see if you can fit and be comfortable.

talking about other peoples mum's is so childish and and so old. shows how mature you can be.

Give a childish response, ill give a childish answer mate. Im asking pretty realistic questions no need to be smart.

Going by your car history I can see why the 86 isn't quick enough for you,but is fun..

I think you'll be happy with the Megane and I've heard good things about their seats but as you mentioned, long term is where the problems come up..

I'am a Clio fan myself..... Keep us posted

DC2R and DC5R was ok but I found them even to lack power even after bolt on mods fujitusbo exhaust and gruppeM intake headers and tune still not quick enough so I tried evo 8 MR that had enough power but it was getting old and I get bored so I sold up. I just want something abit newer with power.

I like the idea of light weight cars thats why Ive always liked hondas. Thats another reason I was considering the 86. But at the moment im heading towards to Megane RS as it is ticking all the boxes. The only thing that is putting me off when you sit in the car it doesn't have that nice low feel like the 86 did. It feels much higher up. The 86 makes you feel like your in an old school sports car which I really liked.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this?

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/290377/honda_civic_typer_turbo_concept_coming_to_geneva.html

They are going for the quickest front wheel drive production car ever made if it can beat the Megane RS track record around the Nurburgring.

Just not sure how I feel about the shape?

But yeah decisions, decisons.

• Like 1

Give a childish response, ill give a childish answer mate. Im asking pretty realistic questions no need to be smart.

Making a joke isn't being childish, you could of played along but you had to involve someones mum.

Back on topic... Her indoors has a 05/13 GTS, LHS taillight has cracked on the top surface, kinda looks as if it's been overtightened on the ends. Not to worry, Toyota can pay for that one, I hope...

We've got a very intermittent rattle that shows up at around 2500 rpm under moderate load, I suspect it's the cam timing gizmo as it changes with load, but so far it "won't play up" for the dealer. I'll give them their due, they have never doubted (to me!) the existence of the noise, nor had any issue spending time at their expense looking for it. (I've owned Holdens, I know what poor customer relations is all about).

As far as fitting, I'm not exactly lithe (100kg and less than 180cm/6'), long of body and suffer duck's disease, and I find there's plenty of room. Getting in and out can be a touch challenging and inelegant in tight parking spots, but I don't do courier runs in it, so that's no real worry.

After the turbos, the 86 may feel a bit slow, but they sound so sweet being wound round the clock. We ended up with an auto (t' missus spends an hour or more in peak hour parking both ways every day, so unfortunately the manual didn't stand a chance), and I've got to say it's the best four pot auto I've ever driven.

I'd still prefer a base GT manual, though...

Good luck, and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In regard to the comfort of the 86 seats, I've rented a couple and spent some hours in Sydney traffic, and myself and my wife are both bigger people. I thought it would be a hassle but the seats were very comfortable for long stints behind the wheel.

We also hired one here in Brissie and took it for a run up around the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, and again, we both found the seats to be comfortable and supportive.

:

Currently saving pennies so I can buy an 86 of my own! :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love the feel of the 86's seats i love to go up to the lookout and just sit in it, even after a long day the drive home never makes me feel sore or tired, you could never get tired of driving this car. :) when you get yours you will understand. Everyone comments on how good looking a car it is and beleive me when i say you dont mind letting someone sit in it, it makes you feel so proud to own one, apart from some hiccups, like the twirping i have been on other forums and they say that it is a known issue and is under warantee, its the fuel pump, the condensation in the rear lights is also a known fault and is under warantee. I have heard about the low idol speed but cant comment as i havnt read anything more on it soz.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my GT86 since last September and so far it is fault free. I am 183cm and about 110 kg. The seats are comfortable and plenty of head room. (mind you, the seats are down to their lowest adjustable level). I love the GT86 and would recommend it to anyone wanting a sporty drive.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Yep I agree with lans86. Bought my new 2015 GTS Blackline 3 months ago and it's fantastic. No complaints and I'm a big guy (about the same weight & heights as lans). Seats are tight and a bit awkward to get in & out so it's actually encouraging me to maybe drop a few kilo's to fit in them better.... :tongue:

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

First post on the forum.

I bought a 2013 86GTS and bought fitted sheepskin seat covers. The leather part of the seats didn’t allow my back to breathe. Best thing I ever did.

Cheers